Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Release Note Display Format...

Release Note Display Format...

Thanks for the update.

The usual "zero content" release  notes.

For those of us living in the real world, the misleading "08/04/2022" date on the Release Notes should be 04/08/2022.

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Release Note Display Format...

The dates is correct, Month Day then Year. 

Message 2 of 10

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The dates is correct, Month Day then Year. 

No. The only place that uses that wonky and confusing method is the USA.

I put that in there simply to alert the rest of the world to what the numbers in the release notes are intended to tell them.

Netgear's minders have even agreed in the past that this is not a helpful way of presenting dates. They just haven't done anything about it.

Don't take my word for it.

The International Standard

In an effort to avoid miscommunication between people using the British date format and those using the American date format, an International Standard was developed. If an Australian writes February 3, 2019 as 03/02/2019, but an American writes the same date as 02/03/2019, who’s right? The international standard recommends writing the date as year, then month, then the day: YYYY-MM-DD. So if both Australians and Americans used this, they would both write the date as 2019-02-03.

Writing the date this way avoids confusion by placing the year first. Much of Asia uses this form when writing the date. For example:

January 1, 2018 would be written as 2018 January 1. (Did you notice there’s no comma?).

The last time I looked, Netgear considered itself to be an international business.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Based in CA if I'm not mistaken. 

Anyways, getting off track. Lets keep this on track. 

Thanks. 

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Asked about this and it's correct. Month Day then Year. Which holds as looking at the contents of the .zip files coincides with date stamp format seen on the files and when the FW files were posted to the web pages. I check the date seen on the web page vs files to confirm this. 

Message 5 of 10

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Asked about this and it's correct. Month Day then Year. Which holds as looking at the contents of the .zip files coincides with date stamp format seen on the files and when the FW files were posted to the web pages. I check the date seen on the web page vs files to confirm this. 

You just don't get it do you?

Netgear is a global company that works throughout the planet, perhaps even beyond.

As currently posted, release notes, and only release notes, come with a date that can confuse many, if not most, users.

By the way, you are wrong about the content of zip files. Unless, that is, you insist on setting up your computer with dates that don't sort.

ZipFileDates.jpg

By all means, feel free to ignore me when I point this out to unsuspecting users in the future. I have done it before and will do it again. You were the one who turned this into an issue.

Apologies to innocent passers by.

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

That's still in M D Y format. I post what I see posted on the web page. Still coincides with when they posted it. Just post what I see and the date is correct. 

Seems that your program display is tuned for your region as well. 

This is what I see here in the USA region:

image_2022-08-18_114123712.png

Message 7 of 10

That's how you have Windows set up. (Did you read what I wrote?)

Nothing to do with the file.

Americans are, of course, free to set up their PCs as they see fit. But their attempts at world domination have yet to get that far.

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I and or we use default settings for the NA region. No reason for any change here as with other regions as well I presume. 

I presume it's up to NG to use what ever they feel like. No control over that. 

Also international date format is similar, only the Year precedes Month the Day. It's only a date format.

You could ask NG your self if your bothered by it and see if they can use the international format instead. 

Message 9 of 10

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Also international date format is similar, only the Year precedes Month the Day. It's only a date format.

Jeez. (Sound of head banging on desk.)

I give up.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7