Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Replaced Nighthawk with Nighthawk. Now devices can't see each other.

POS-Guy
Aspirant

Replaced Nighthawk with Nighthawk. Now devices can't see each other.

I recently replaced an older Nighthawk router with a new R7800.  I have updated the firmware and performed a factory reset.  I was hoping that it would be relatively plug-and-play to remove the old one and install the new one.

My issue is that none of the PCs on the network, whether they are wired or Wi-Fi, can see the wired network printer.  The printer does show up on the list of connected devices when I go to the router (routerlogin.net), but on any PC, it shows as offline and I cannot ping the printer.

My setup is modem->Nighthawk->network switch->printer

None of the PCs are connected to the same network switch as the printer, could that have something to do with it?  

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
POS-Guy
Aspirant

Thank you all for the help.  I finally got it all working.  It appears it was a combination of things.  I did have some static IPs that needed changed.  I also re-booted everything again, in the right order.  (Not sure if this helped, but maybe the second time was the charm.)

For those of you who took the time to offer constructive help, thank you so much.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 16

All Replies

@POS-Guy wrote:

I recently replaced an older Nighthawk router with a new R7800.  I have updated the firmware and performed a factory reset.  I was hoping that it would be relatively plug-and-play to remove the old one and install the new one.

You can't just swap out one device for another. Your whole network needs to adapt, including the modem.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

If that doesn't work, you may have to reset the and reconfigure that modem. It is designed to work in partnership with the router.

I don't understand this bit:

@POS-Guy wrote:

None of the PCs are connected to the same network switch as the printer, could that have something to do with it?  

You are running two separate networks?

Message 2 of 16
POS-Guy
Aspirant

Thank you for your help.  I have just now powered-down and powered-up everything in the sequence suggested above.  Unfortunately, I still don't have access to other devices on the network.  I have a Netgear NAS that was mapped to network drives.  I have a network printer.  All of these things were accessible from my PC before I replaced my old Nighthawk with a new Nighthawk.  Now, they are not accessible from the PC.

If that doesn't work, you may have to reset the and reconfigure that modem. It is designed to work in partnership with the router.

I'm not sure that I understand how a change in the router would make it so that the settings of the modem need to be changed in order for my network printer to be seen on the network.  If this is the case, does that mean I need to contact my ISP?

I don't understand this bit:

@POS-Guy wrote:

You are running two separate networks?

I have three NETWORK SWITCHES that are downstream of the router.  I'm just grasping at straws here by mentioning that my PC isn't on the same NETWORK SWITCH as the printer.  However, it is on the same switch as the NAS, so that doesn't explain my inability to connect to the network drives.

Message 3 of 16
antinode
Guru

> I recently replaced an older Nighthawk router with a new R7800. [...]

Did your (unspecified) "an older Nighthawk router" have a model
number?  Did you have address reservations (or other non-default
settings) configured on it?

> [...] on any PC, it shows as offline and I cannot ping the printer.

"cannot" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.  Copy+paste is your friend.

What are the IP addresses of these gizmos?

> My setup is modem->Nighthawk->network switch->printer

What, exactly, is your (unspecified) "network switch"?  Where's your
"any PC" in that picture?

> None of the PCs are connected to the same network switch as the
> printer, could that have something to do with it?

That would depend on whether your "network switch" is really a
network switch.

"the same network switch"?  How many are there?  What, exactly, is
connected to what, exactly?  (Hint: If a device has different types of
Ethernet ports, then "connected to device" is not enough detail.)

> You can't just swap out one device for another. Your whole network
> needs to adapt, including the modem.

Nonsense.  If your two routers were configured similarly, then they
could easily have been interchangeable.  Apparently, there's some
difference between their configurations.

> [...] I have a Netgear NAS [...]

IP address before and after the Great Change?

> I'm not sure that I understand how a change in the router would make it
> so that the settings of the modem need to be changed [...]

In general, it wouldn't.

> I have three NETWORK SWITCHES that are downstream of the router. [...]

"NETWORK SWITCHES" is not a much more detailed description than
"network switch".

If all your devices are on the same LAN IP address subnet, then your
(unspecified) "NETWORK SWITCHES" shouldn't matter.  But "ping" should
work from any device on that subnet to any other.

Message 4 of 16
POS-Guy
Aspirant

Wow. 

I came here looking for help, not some condescending diatribe because antinode needs to write something that he can show his friends while he tells them about his "very good brain".  If there is critical information that I was unaware was needed, then you could ask clarifying questions, but that would have actually been productive and not nearly as belittling as what you wrote.

I'm not going to dignify your inflamatory rhetoric with any additional response.  If someone else wants to offer some help, it will be greatly appreciated.  Antinode, if you just want to further pump your own ego, do it somewhere else.

Message 5 of 16

@POS-Guy wrote:

I have three NETWORK SWITCHES that are downstream of the router.  I'm just grasping at straws here by mentioning that my PC isn't on the same NETWORK SWITCH as the printer.  However, it is on the same switch as the NAS, so that doesn't explain my inability to connect to the network drives.

That is what confused me.

If they are arranged in the usual way, network switches will be on the same network. In other words, it all starts with a single router that manages the traffic.

For example, the printer is on the same network if those switches all track back to the same router.

Replacing a router comes up here pretty often. That's why we know that you cannot just unplug one router and slap in another one.

Modem and router work together as parts of the network. That's why it is always a good idea to reboot the network in the order I described.

The modem then sets itself up for the connection so that the router see this and can configure itself accordingly.

How do i know this? Been there, done that, when I ditched a D6400 (modem only mode) for a DM200 (also modem only mode). The simple "plug and pray"  strategy failed.

A lot does depend on the setup of the modem and the old router. I was just describing a generic approach. Knowing the make and model of the modem and router can be important. For example, your modem may be a modem/router that you have configured to be "modem only". Or the router may be configured as a wireless access point.

Then there are those switches. Netgear makes "managed switches" that are not the same animals as the "dumb switches" that I use.

@POS-Guy wrote:

Unfortunately, I still don't have access to other devices on the network.  I have a Netgear NAS that was mapped to network drives.  I have a network printer.  All of these things were accessible from my PC before I replaced my old Nighthawk with a new Nighthawk.  Now, they are not accessible from the PC.

Does anything on the network connect to the outside world? I assume that the PC is working as expected.

If so, you seem to have a functioning network. As I know from bitter experience (see above), Windows can be picky about networks. It detects changes you make and throws up its hands in disgust. There are some knowalls who reject the notion, but I have found that Windows can suddenly interpret your network as "public" and respond accordingly. The Network troubleshooter can spot obvious issues. It may simply be a case of telling your network that it is "private" rather than "public". Despite what the naysayers claim, this has bailed out several people who have turned up here with local network problems. You certainly lose nothing by trying.

The changes on your network can also explain why the NAS has thrown a wobbly. Windows up to its usual tricks.

Printers can also need some attention. You don't say how they connect to the network. My experience is with wifi devices. The usual move there is to turn to the software utility that came with the printer.

One thing that can help is to configure the new router with the same wifi SSID and passwords as the old one.

In other words, if the basics are as expected, and the PC is doing its thing, turn your attention to the individual bits and pieces on the network.

Good luck.

Message 6 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@POS-Guy wrote:

I have a Netgear NAS that was mapped to network drives.  I have a network printer.  All of these things were accessible from my PC before I replaced my old Nighthawk with a new Nighthawk.  Now, they are not accessible from the PC.

Assuming all the switchs are workable, and the Ethernet links to the router and the devices in qustion are up, and hoping there is a "flat" network configuraiton like non-managd switches...:

Is it possible that the NAS and the wired printer have got fixed / static IP addresses in the past, e.g. from the 192.168.0.x/24 IP subnet -in use by older (and still today e.g. by cable routers) Netgear routers, while the new router does work on the 192.168.1.x/24 default subnet? 

Does NAS and printer show up in the (hit and miss feature, don't blame the messenger) Connected Devices list on the router, and then with IP addreses from the same subnet like e.g. the computer assuming to work on DHCP? [Edit] Just spotted the printer does show up as per the first post.

Message 7 of 16

@schumaku wrote:

Is it possible that the NAS and the wired printer have got fixed / static IP addresses in the past, e.g. from the 192.168.0.x/24 IP subnet -in use by older (and still today e.g. by cable routers) Netgear routers, while the new router does work on the 192.168.1.x/24 default subnet? 

Good point. That is why it is nuts to think that you can simply swap routers and expect an easy life.

Who knows how the old router was setup with some subtle configuration? For example, as well as settings on the NAS itself, any "Address Reservation" settings on the router?

The only way to ensure that a new router plays nicely is to try to replicate the settings from the old one. Screen grabs can help there.

Message 8 of 16
Dan32
Apprentice

different MAC address, it's now untrusted by Windows and is treated as a new 'public' network.  Same applies if you swap in a new wireless card in a desktop or laptop.

You need to switch it to a Public Network AND turn on Network Discovery and Filesharing on for it, on every Windows device you have connected.  

Message 9 of 16

@Dan32 wrote:

You need to switch it to a Public Network AND turn on Network Discovery and Filesharing on for it, on every Windows device you have connected.  

Do you mean switch it to a private network?

As you said hasn't Windows already taken it into its head to do that?

My network is Private.

Message 10 of 16
Dan32
Apprentice

The OP says he swapped routers, that's a new MAC address so it's treated by Windows as a new public network, even via ethernet.

(Even if it's the same make and model is swapped in, same SSID's and passwords for Wifi, Windows will still see it as a new public network.)  

In order to see devices and shares again, it needs to be set to a private network and network discovery and file and print sharing turned on.  These are specific to eash registered network.  Filesharing and network discovery can be turned on for public networks I believe, but that's not secure and not recommended.

I don't recall if Windows has an option to treat all networks as private, but if there is, that would not be recommended, especially for wireless laptops.  

Message 11 of 16
Dan32
Apprentice

Sorry,

I said

"You need to switch it to a Public Network"

should have read

"You need to switch it to a Private Network"

Message 12 of 16

@Dan32 wrote:

Sorry,

I said

"You need to switch it to a Public Network"

should have read

"You need to switch it to a Private Network"

Thanks. That's what I thought. Hence my question.

Good to have the Mac address thrown into the mix. That may also influence the  modem<>router link and need to reboot everything in the right order..

Message 13 of 16
POS-Guy
Aspirant

Thank you all for the help.  I finally got it all working.  It appears it was a combination of things.  I did have some static IPs that needed changed.  I also re-booted everything again, in the right order.  (Not sure if this helped, but maybe the second time was the charm.)

For those of you who took the time to offer constructive help, thank you so much.

Message 14 of 16

@POS-Guy wrote:

Excellent news. Your network didn't seem to be wildly complicated, but it does not take much to confuse things. 

Before you do anything else, backup the configuration of your router. You never know when you might need it.

Message 15 of 16
antinode
Guru

> different MAC address, it's now untrusted by Windows and is treated as
> a new 'public' network. [...]

A good point, but, although I'd expect that to affect Windows file
sharing,  I would not expect it to cause a "ping" failure.

> [...] I did have some static IP [addresse]s that needed [to be]
changed. [...]

_You_ did, or some of your _devices_ did?  Any of those involved in the
observed problems?

Terminology: A "static" address is configured on the device itself.
What you configure on a (DHCP server on a) router is a reserved dynamic
address, not a static address.  Either one should fix the address of a
device, but some implications are different, so it helps to know which
you mean.

> For those of you who took the time to offer constructive help, thank
> you so much.

You must mean me.

> What are the IP addresses of these gizmos?

> IP address before and after the Great Change?

You're welcome.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7