× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacement for Readyshare vault that was discontinued

topcorner18
Aspirant

Replacement for Readyshare vault that was discontinued

Greetings,

Was doing some home network reconfiguration recently and found my Readyshare vault did not seem to be working.  I reconnected the drive and got it going again but could not get e-mail notifications.  Digging around I found the notice that Readshare Vault support ended APril 15, 2021 and there was no guarantee it would work after that date.  Diggin deeper I could find no reference to a replacement product.  What are we supposed to use to backup our data now to a router connected USB Drive?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

TC

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

Re: Replacement for Readyshare vault that was discontinued

You could map the drive to your pc and schedule the backup within windows. 

You could hardwire the drive to your pc and schedule it. 

You could upgrade to an actual NAS drive (my recommendation) and schedule backups through that. 

Yo could build a server and schedule backups that route. 

Message 2 of 13

@topcorner18 wrote:

What are we supposed to use to backup our data now to a router connected USB Drive?

What do you want to achieve with this setup? If it is a simple backup regime that is dead easy.

I do this all the time with ReadySHARE and various different bits of software. This is in a network with a handful of PCs. a bunch of Ethernet NAS and ReadySHARE USB. I recently discovered that I can use a Seagate 8TB USB drive on ReadySHARE and then plug two more drives into the USB ports on the 8TB USB.

I can even get at the ReadySHARE drives from afar, using ReadyCLOUD.

Message 3 of 13
topcorner18
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick replies folks.  Maybe I am missing something, the press release said ReadyShare Vault would no longer be supported and may not work going into the future.  Is the "Vault" a separate part of the ReadyShare Application?  

So I have a drive connected to the R7000 USB.  I assume that is now a Readyshare USB drive but there is no backup software which was "The Vault" portion?  That being the case what backup application would you recommend that would serve the same purpose as the discontinued VAULT software.

Message 4 of 13

Your USB drives are just drives connected to your network. You can use whatever software you like to backup files from your PC or other stuff on your network to these drives. I use Synchback, Acronis and Easeus to run various backup tasks.

If you already have backup software, I would be surprised if it can't use your READYSHARE drives at the receiving end. You might even find that it is more capable than Vault. 

Message 5 of 13
topcorner18
Aspirant

Thank you Michael.  Now I see it on  my network.  I will tie it into my existing WD Backup software.  Really appreciate the quick help!

Message 6 of 13

@topcorner18 wrote:

Now I see it on  my network.  I will tie it into my existing WD Backup software. 

You may find that it is a lot better than the Netgear option.

Message 7 of 13
trev5708
Aspirant

I'm also looking for a replacement to the old software, maybe someone on here can help me out. I have a hard drive hooked up the the R7000 so that the four computers in the office can access the drive at the same time, and it acts as a documents folder on each of our computers. I love the fact that I can access it remotely as well, and would like to keep this feature. The only thing is I can't seem to find a program that will back up/sync the hard drive that's plugged into the router. If anyone has a suggestion, that would be extremely helpful.

Message 8 of 13

@trev5708 wrote:

I'm also looking for a replacement to the old software, maybe someone on here can help me out. I have a hard drive hooked up the the R7000 so that the four computers in the office can access the drive at the same time, and it acts as a documents folder on each of our computers.

There is a difference between a backup service and one that lets you access files, although there may be ways to turn access into a backup service.

For access I use ReadyCLOUD to transfer and access files.

But this is a single user option. You may be able to share access, but I have not tried a multi-user approach.

To be honest, I think you are asking a down market consumer de vice to provide a business service.

An office should be able to afford something like a ReadyNAS store.

Support | NETGEAR

Then there are cloud services like OneDrive.

ReadySHARE is a pretty poor alternative to proper Ethernet NAS.

Message 9 of 13
plemans
Guru

@michaelkenward is correct. if you're using this in a business environment, its a pretty poor choice. You should look into a half decent NAS that has redundancy. It'll perform better and potentially have mirrors (if you choose that option) in case a hard drive fails. Which we all know, all hard drives fail eventually. 

Message 10 of 13
trev5708
Aspirant

We did have a BuffaloNAS Linkstation to allow for network connectivity in our office and we were hoping to use it for remote access, however we could never get remote access working unless you were connected directly to the network it was operating off of (something to do with router mapping that I could never figure out). I thought it had been storing in the cloud because I had setup the buffaloNAS webaccess, and the unit boasted 'Cloud Storage', however when the Linkstation crashed on us after two years, we realized that wasn't the case. Luckily we got most of our data back after a tedious data recovery, and that data came to us on a 1 TB hard drive. I realized I could plug that hard drive into the R7000 and I regained network access between the four computers in the office and I gained remote access, and if I could back it up that would have been the trifecta I was looking for. 

Maybe you guys could help point me in a direction that will give me the functionality that I want, as I'm no IT expert and just happen to be the one in the office that decided to try and figure this out so we have functionality and peace of mind. We're a Civil Engineering firm that deals with <10GB of data a year. We have four computers that need to access a single location so that we all see the files that are there, and those files are immediately updated upon saving rather than having to upload each file to dropbox or something (I'm not sure if that is even how drop box works, but I hope I've illustrated that appropriately). Remote access would be extremely helpful so we don't have to copy folders directly onto our computers every time we work outside of the office. We like keeping data off of our computers so that they continue to run as fast as possible. Lastly, we would ideally like a system that when a file is updated, the system recognizes that and backs that file up into the cloud or on a backup drive. 

Any advice would be amazing, cheers to you guys, you're miracle workers.

Message 11 of 13
plemans
Guru

I'd be looking more at a cloud solution like Microsoft Onedrive or Googles Drive. You don't use a ton of data. 

Cloud based and you wouldn't need to worry about a lot of the issues running it off a router can cause. 

You'd all of anywhere access

It sync's and (i think) shows who edits them

you wouldn't have to worry about backups or data recovery. 

In a business environment and without an IT person, I'd be looking at ease of use (most people know how to use google/microsoft) and that its always working. 

That's why I'd be more looking at the cloud/online solutions than a NAS or router solution. 

Message 12 of 13

@trev5708 wrote:

We did have a BuffaloNAS Linkstation to allow for network connectivity in our office and we were hoping to use it for remote access, however we could never get remote access working unless you were connected directly to the network it was operating off of (something to do with router mapping that I could never figure out).

Same here. Buffalo's remote access is a pig.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7