Re: Replacement power adapter with longer cable

pottify
Follower

Replacement power adapter with longer cable

Following guidance for maximising wifi signal throughout the host, I'd like to wall mount my wifi router high up in the centre of the house - approx 2m off the ground. Also, the router must be wall hung with the ariels at the top, which means the cable needs to go past the router and in the top. Problem is, the power adapter has 180cm cable, so I'm going to end up with an extension lead hanging in the air. Not a good look. 

Can you get replacement power adapters with longer cables say 3m? These things are commodity components, so is it safe to buy any adapter with the same specs? 

Adapter Model: 2AAF042F,

input: 100-240v, 50/60Hz, 1.5A,

Output: 12.0V, 3.5A

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi pottify,

It is safe to change the adapter for as long as it has the same specs.

Message 2 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi pottify,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 7

NG could at least if they cared about customers supply PSU to us!

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I'ts recommended to get a power extension cable between the wall out let and the power adatpers. Most power adapters are not over 3-4 feet in length as the low power volts and amps don't travel well over longer lengths of cable. So best practice is to get a main power extension cable which come in many long size lengths to install between the wall out let and power adapter.

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CBR750 Modem | Wifi Router CBR750(v.7) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 5 of 7
JHE_Netgear
Guide

NG used to supply the power adapter in a seperate block with a 'figure of eight' type terminal so you could have a long, slim & unobtrusive AC power lead with a short DC connection.

This is just a money saver..  Damn all to do with optimising power delivery

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 6 of 7
William10a
Master

All the different brands use a standard 3 to 4 foot cord short in some cases I agree but as they do not make the power supply just buy them premade and label them a Linksys power supply of the same voltage and the same ampere rating is the same as Netgear,Asus and so on just a different look and name.

AC extension cord are the easy way the issue until the people who make the power supplies listen.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E