Aspirant

Replacing Cox Modem

I'm replacing my rented Cox Panoramic modem....too many dead spots in my home. What Netgear product is best for me to buy? And do I also need to buy a separate Router along with the modem?

Message 1 of 7
Guru

Re: Replacing Cox Modem

so many loaded questions.

I'd recommend buying a modem seperate from the router. Reason why is the ISP controls the firmware on modems and on modem/router combo devices. And they tend not to update firmware. 

What modem do you need? It depends on the speed you plan on paying for and whats compatible with cox. I just heard recently that cox was requiring a docsis 3.1 modem for all plans 500mbps or higher. this was just in the last couple days. 

What router do you need? 

Depends on the size of your home, what the home is made from (certain materials block wifi), what you plan on using it for (gaming/streaming/etc), and what your budget is. 

If you have a large home, I'd push you towards the triband orbi setups. But again, it depends on many factors. 

CM2000-> Arris AX11000 W31-> GS716v2-> WAX***-AP
Message 2 of 7
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply and info. A bit more info and a few more questions please:

I have a single story home, 3,000 SQ feet. It's stucco.

My current speed with COX is 150mbps. I have a desktop Mac so it doesn't move around like a laptop.

I don't use it for gaming. My current setup with the Cox modem was fairly good  but I still had some dead spots

like on the patio and a couple of rooms. I recently installed  WiFI wireless security cameras and a couple of them that are

quite a way from the Cox modem/router and keep going offline. I'm told a different modem (netgear was recommended) and

a new router would solve the problem. I was also told that a mesh system would also solve the problem but that

I should dump the Cox modem and get my own. Your thoughts please?

Message 3 of 7
Aspirant

Also, I'm less concerned about cost and more concerned about a system that is efficient and

will do the job I want it to do.

Message 4 of 7
Guru

I'm a fan of the triband orbi's. they work well, can be expanded if you need more coverage, have the option of wired and/or wireless backhaul, and again, they just work. 

In terms of modem, the speeds of 150mbps don't require a super modem but I'm a fan of a little overkill. I'd probably go for the cm600 or cm1000 (docsis 3.1) for cox. They both should be compatible with cox. https://www.cox.com/residential/support/cox-certified-cable-modems.html

CM2000-> Arris AX11000 W31-> GS716v2-> WAX***-AP
Message 5 of 7
Prodigy

Agree with @plemans about separate modem and router. The modem is tied to the ISP to update firmware and if a modem/router then you are stuck with will the ISP do a firmware update? For example, my CM1150V modem has been on Comcast for 2 years and never an update. No matter as it just works. Having a separate modem and router gives you more flexibility. Can replace the router without worrying about connecting to ISP and typically cheaper for the same features. Can do firmware updates easily. I have replaced multiple routers without replacing the modem, Asus, Netgear, Unifi pro gateway, and Edgerouter. All with same modem. Yes I play a little. Smiley Wink

Modem CM2050V
Message 6 of 7

@labatt wrote:

Agree with @plemans about separate modem and router. The modem is tied to the ISP to update firmware and if a modem/router then you are stuck with will the ISP do a firmware update?

While this is generally true, one or two newer cable modem/routers like the CAX80 do allow users to update the firmware.

But these are new technology and I am a great believer in giving new ideas time to settle down before parting with my cash.

Then again, I endorse the "separate devices" suggestion. I don't know if there is a modem only box that does allow firmware updates.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements