Reporting issue with Nighthawk R7000 firmware

jazake
Aspirant

Reporting issue with Nighthawk R7000 firmware

I upgraded my Nighthawk R7000 to the newest firmware V1.0.9.10_1.2.23 recently and I noticed severe drop off of at least 1/3 of my hosts. I had about 35 to 37 hosts connected to the router. I noticed some of my wireless cameras and other devices dropping out. I logged into the Nighthawk and noticed I dropped down to about 21 hosts connected. I rebooted the router and they all came back, about 35 hosts. About an hour or so later, same thing, dropped down to about 21 to 23 hosts. I did this 3 or 4 times to make sure this wasn't a fluke. Same results.

So I downgraded back to firmware version V1.0.9.10_1.2.21, everything is back to normal.

Netgear, please make sure this is addressed in the next update.

Thanks!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
Hoyty
Apprentice

Re: Reporting issue with Nighthawk R7000 firmware

Check your speeds as well. Most saw drop from 1.0.9.6 to newer firmware.

Message 2 of 15
jazake
Aspirant

Roger that. Bandwidth for my connection is always from 25 to 60 mbps. That has not changed. Thanks for the heads up.

Message 3 of 15

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have problems with new firmware.

If it isn't too late, and you aren't locked out browser interface, first note down the settings – screen grabs can help here.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 15
Hoyty
Apprentice

@jazake wrote:

Roger that. Bandwidth for my connection is always from 25 to 60 mbps. That has not changed. Thanks for the heads up.

At that low speed you might not notice it. It is only over 100 Mbps that seems to slow down.

Brian

Message 5 of 15

Having a really similar problem to the initial poster, but with the latest firmware update: 1.0.9.14_1.2.25. Three devices on my network (one PS4 game console, two laptops of different makes with Win10) are connected to the router but have no internet access and cannot obtain an IP address. This issue started happening once I updated to the previous firmware version to this one. The patch notes looked like they took a stab at fixing this or similar problems, but after updating to latest the problem did not resolve. Every time I restart the router, my devices are good to go for about an hour. After that they lose internet permanently until I reboot again (have done this many times). I tried factory resetting with the latest firmware installed and it did not help anything. I reverted back to old firmware: V1.0.9.10_1.2.21and it has been 24 hours now without any issue. Please fix latest firmware problems, Netgear! I've called tech support a number of times but they are completely clueless if they have to go off script of reading to me.

Also I am using the Smart Connect feature with my configuration in case this is part of the issue with the latest firmware. I am wondering if there are settings that changed or there's something I can change to fix this.

Message 6 of 15

Should have added to my last post that I have >25 devices on the network, so besides those three exhibiting issues the rest are working properly and don't lose internet access.

Message 7 of 15

KnightMearh wrote:

Also I am using the Smart Connect feature with my configuration in case this is part of the issue with the latest firmware.

Some people, well one, found that turning that off helped.

The only consistent message from this saga is that there is no single solution to the wifi meltdowns that people see.

Some say that turning off Auto in wifi channel selection works, others says that turning it on helps.

This makes it impossible to some up with sensible advice. You just have to try all the different options.

The more reports there are here of what worked, and failed, for you, the easier it will be to build up a picture and beat Netgear around the head to get it fixed.

This latest firmware looks like one massive beta test.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 15

Thanks for the reply! Auto vs explicitly setting to channel 11 did not effect the outcome. But I do wonder if it's the 5G devices that are all good and the others are the ones experiencing problems. Definitely going to turn off Smart Connect so I can evaluate separately. The three devices in question I believe are all around 3-5 years old and using N, where everything else is ~1 year old tech (phones, current gen consoles, smart home stuff) that are AC.

Message 9 of 15
vincentw56
Tutor

I am having the same issue with the latest firmware. I turned off "Smart Connect" and it is working fine now. How can I downgrade my firmware to the previous version. New one sucks.

Message 10 of 15
antinode
Guru

> [...] How can I downgrade my firmware to the previous version.

If that's a question ("?"?), then visit
http://www.netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look for
Downloads.  Under Firmware and Software Downloads, look for View
Previous Versions.

Message 11 of 15
vincentw56
Tutor

@antinode wrote:

> [...] How can I downgrade my firmware to the previous version.

If that's a question ("?"?), then visit
http://www.netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look for
Downloads.  Under Firmware and Software Downloads, look for View
Previous Versions.

Yes it was a question. Sorry for the incorrect punctuation and thank you for pointing it out. I found the link to download the previous firmware.

Message 12 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi vincentw56,

A new firmware has been posted. Please update and report back for any issue encountered.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/NEW-R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-18/m-p/1460...

Message 13 of 15
jazake
Aspirant

Just updated. Will let you know how it goes.

Message 14 of 15

Just updating from earlier and posting another thread that seems to be more closely tied to the issue: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-2-4ghz-not-working-but-5ghz-is-fine/m-...

My update is that downgrading the firmware and factory resetting resolved the problem for a good 2 weeks. Then I saw the above post saying to try the newest firmware, so I did. That brought the problem back in full force. I again downgraded firmware (did not factory reset this time) and the problem did not go away. Devices drop within 10-60 min, but only those connected to 2.4G.

I disabled SmartConnect as well, but this did not change anything (it was always and is still only the 2.4G connected devices experiencing problems). Will report back if I figure anything more out, but I still am suspecting this is a firmware problem.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements