Reserving Internal IP addresses

lynnl
Aspirant

Reserving Internal IP addresses

Hello, brand new R7000 user here, just set things up last night.

I have several devices that allow you to set up permanent internal ip addresses in their own configuration settings -- eg. 192.168.1.300 or whatever. This has worked fine for me in the past.

This is the first router I've had where it's also an option to do this in the router settings under LAN setup. Is it necessary to add these, or can I just keep letting the devices snatch up their assigned IP's? Would it have any effect on port forwarding either way?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 5
farcough
Aspirant

Re: Reserving Internal IP addresses

no if it is set up as a dhcp(the router) your devices will get told to use what ip the router says..
if you have hard coded the devices to use lets say 192.168.1.200 then the router should give that ip to them.
Message 2 of 5
lynnl
Aspirant

Yeah, my question is, though, does that need to be set up in the *router* or is it okay just to leave it setup in the device configs. All of these devices are outside the DHCP range.
Message 3 of 5
RogerSC
Virtuoso

You don't need to reserve static IP addresses on the router, just make sure that they're outside of the DHCP address pool (set in the LAN setup screen) so that your client static addresses don't get re-allocated by the DHCP server.
Message 4 of 5
lynnl
Aspirant

Thanks Roger!
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements