Re: Ring.com Doorbell Video Not working

Mfrank45
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. Did all that port adjusting with the Ring Level 2 help. All,to no avail. The problem is with the R7000 rounter. I would be curius to find out what. NEtgear  router your brother has. Probably not the R7000. 

Message 26 of 101
kentuckian6
Aspirant

Ironically, he said it is the "Netgear Nighthawk R7000". He said it looks like the default config is not blocking anything....did you turn your firewall on? What level? He said there is a firmware update available for his and he's going up update. Have you updated to the latest firmware? I still haven't got a response from Ring about the firewall port question for the Ring Pro.

I don't think there support center is knowledgeable in real world issues. They have the textbook answers provided to them. When I talked to them (twice), it sounded like they where reading from a help manual and avoided my questions about firewall port configs.

Do you remember what ports they had you enable? I'd like to try them and see what happens.

Just a thought and I haven't tried it yet, have you tired running Wireshark on you network while testing? I might have to do that this weekend, if I have time.

Message 27 of 101
Mfrank45
Tutor

I did update the firmware on the nighthalk to the latest.

the level 1 ring tecs are a joke. Like you said. They insisted that my 

roblem was distance from the router. We ran a speed test at the door and another upstairs where my router is and thenspeeds were about the same. They still insisted the signal was the problem. They even sent me a free extender. Of course it still didnT work. 

As far as firewall goes, the R7000 does not have a on/off place fire wall. 

Not familiar with the Wireshark.. will study it.

the port the tec set is 15063 The level 2  tec was very knowledgable . He tried making all kinds of settings changes to my rounter. Called back about a dozen times as resenting the router knocked off my voip phone. 

would like toknow what changes your brother? Cousin? Made to the r7000 , or did it just work on standard settings?

Message 28 of 101
kentuckian6
Aspirant

L1 tried telling me my router distance was an issue, too. I can be four houses up the street from my router and still use it. I tried adding that port to my router and it didn't work. As far as I know, my brother didn't make any abnoral changes to his router. He said it just worked. 

I still haven't got anything back from Ring.com about the email I sent...

Message 29 of 101
Mfrank45
Tutor

I got a email from Ring Level 2 yesterday that said their engineers had purchased a Netgear nighthalk router to see if they can get to the bottom of the problem. Apparently, I am not the only Netgear owner having the problem. For now I am going to wait to see what they come up with.

Message 30 of 101
CrossStrike
Aspirant

Haha, I wonder which lvl 2 rep. Ring support was so much more helpful that Netgear's support.

From experience, and it has been at least 2 months now, nighthawk has trouble with the Ring doorbell and touch up cam.

Ring Pro seemed to work fine, but I put it close to each other (less than 5 feet). It is crazy, I get reception from my nighthawk all the way down the block though.

Don't get me wrong, I still do think netgear makes the best routers/extenders... Upgrading/downgrading firmwares doesnt seem to do anything.

Message 31 of 101
kentuckian6
Aspirant

I have a call scheduled with "Adam" from L2 on Sunday (10/16/2016)...guess we will see what happens.

Message 32 of 101
Lifesabre
Aspirant

This might sound like a stupid, but I would love to know it this happens for any of you. 

I too too have suffered from ring.com is idiot level one support – constantly trying to tell me that my link wasn't fast enough..  anyway..  when I try to connect and I see the never ending spinning circle or  black screen with  no audio, if I pick the doorbell up and give it a gentle shake left and right like I'm ringing a hotel service bell – video comes to life! Everything single time.   The second i give it a lil shake 

Thoughts?? 

Message 33 of 101
Lifesabre
Aspirant

I have been fighting with my new Ring Video Doorbell Pro also its truely testing my sanity!

Ring L1 support is truely a joke.   They just repeat, its your wifi, its your uplink.   *repeat*

Anyway, I found that when I give the Ring Doorbell a gengle shake the video comes on instantly and starts working!...

I can try viewing a live video and get nothing but that spinning circle.,   The second i wiggle the camera just a little - the video comes good and its perfect.

I dont have a Nighthawk, but I do have an AC modem router  (cable) so i suspect its releated..

.. Anyone??  Thoughts?

p.S  I have a NETGEAR C6300BD-202

Cheers

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 34 of 101
Mfrank45
Tutor

Interesting about shaking making the video work. Mine is attach to the wall, so. cAnt shake it.

still waiting to hear back from ring.  Netgear called me back the other day and were sounding like the Level 1 people from ring. Wanted to do what we had already done.

Just a waiting game for now. 

Message 35 of 101
Lifesabre
Aspirant

After being let down by their support I finally gave up and insisted I be supplied a replacement.   I was given an RA number and a replacement promptly arrived on my doorstep.

Exactly the same problem - Shaking the camera also making it come good.

I'd really love to know if this works for anyone else and what the *(#$ does it mean that it does make it work!?

Cheers

Chris

Message 36 of 101
Mfrank45
Tutor

Imhave the Ring Pro with the camera built in. So you have the doorbell with the seperate camera? 

Message 37 of 101
Lifesabre
Aspirant

No i have the ring pro just like you.

Message 38 of 101
kentuckian6
Aspirant

I had zero luck with their "L2" support and getting my Ring Pro to pass audio/video through my firewall. I've got my router firewall set to "LOW" at this time, which appears to be the same as "OFF". No ports are being blocked. I'll have to play with port forwarding at another date and time. Again, I do not have a Netgear router, I just found this thread trying to fix my issue.

Message 39 of 101
Lifesabre
Aspirant

@kentuckian6 wrote:

I had zero luck with their "L2" support and getting my Ring Pro to pass audio/video through my firewall. I've got my router firewall set to "LOW" at this time, which appears to be the same as "OFF". No ports are being blocked. I'll have to play with port forwarding at another date and time. Again, I do not have a Netgear router, I just found this thread trying to fix my issue.

Havin you tried wiggling the doorbell? 

Message 40 of 101
CrossStrike
Aspirant

I rarely, if ever ,have a good experience with any level 1 support from any company. If shaking is the issue, I would think it is the sensor. 

For some reason, ever support I've had was always quick to blame distance and interference. I think it all comes down to router/access point. Some just don't seem to mix well with either products.

I swapped my fios router and video never gets disrupted ever again. I use my Netgear for computers and all is good. Its funny, I heard a 10$ wifi extender gives a better experience than some of the 100$+ extenders out there, just because of the security embeded in the products.

Message 41 of 101
Liperty
Guide

I have a Ring Pro

Ever since I've got it I've had issues

- Attached using transformer 16.5 VAC and also tried 24 VAC

- Spend a good amount of time with level 1 support

I get 'black screen' and connection error when I press doorbell.

Then I tried a little shake.. it seriously starts to work.  The picture goes from very poor to clear.. then poor again as I stop 'agitating' it - shaking sounds too vigourous.  I have a Level 2 call tomorrow morning where I hope to understand why this is happening and how to get my expensive doorbell to do more than the $20 dollar one I could have got at the supermarket.

If I get answers I'll post them here!

-Steve

Message 42 of 101
Mfrank45
Tutor

Interesting.

I got an Email from Ring a few weeks ago. It said they had found the

problem and sent a link to set up a Level2 chat. Start talking with the level two help, but it was a different person than sent the email . Anyway, I was on the phome with him for two hours and the result was that it still didn't work. I stayed calm, but kept telling the guy tomlet me talk with the  guy that sent the email, he was the same guy I was on the phone with for three hours becore.

anyway. Its still not working.   

So we wait. 

I also got a call from netgear and right off the guy wanted to start from square one... i told him i didn't want to mess with something that was not going to work. 

Message 43 of 101
Liperty
Guide

So I seemed to have made some progress.

Not knowing what the issue was I decided to try to elminate Wifi connection.

I have a D-LINK DIR-655 in another room.  I moved the Ring into there and re-setup using the D-LINK.

Low and behold - the damn thing works and I can see the camera.  Still not great smoothness et all but it's working.

So I take the Ring Pro back to the front of the house and re-pair it with my Netgear C6300BD-202

Change the Wifi Settings to be ... 

2016-11-12_11-02-56.jpg

I renamed the SSID of this router to be unique...

Turned of Mesh settings in router.

and the damn thing seems to be working.. more testing to be done but so far so good!

-+Steve

Message 44 of 101
Liperty
Guide

Soo... yeah.. worked for a while.. than mysteriously died again.

Ring hardware seriously needs some internal diagnostics.. it's like trying to figure out what my wife wants for dinner... 

Message 45 of 101
Gio68
Aspirant

Hi there, same problem with my Nighthawk R8500. Emailed back and forth with Ring support for over three months and nothing is happening. They forced a firmware upgrade on the Ring but nohing happened. Tried it all, port forwarding as per their instructions, resetting the network on the Ring, uninstalling and reinstalling the app....nothing. I think there is an inherent incompatibility with Netgear Router....
Message 46 of 101
Liperty
Guide

Well, I have been using a Telstra modem (Netgear, rebranded)

I put in a fair bit of effort - bridged the modem and set up a Linksys Wifi Router to connect to the Rng Pro.

I've also got a D-Link wifi router that I have tried.

I have had some success with both but it's completely inconsistent.  For a few days the D-Link would give me video, then it would stop.

There is something going on with the Ring Pro - I even got a replacement Ring Pro and it has exactly the same issue.

I suspect there is some wierd Wifi incompatibility - channel? control band? SSIS contention? but it's impossible to diagnose.  I have another 2MP webcam that works flawlessly on wifi or ethernet.

I think in future I'll only get wired (ethernet, preferably PoE) for video devices - wifi is just too varied and inconsistent.  Aside from that, the RIng devices just really need to help their users to understand what the hell is going on - they should do a port / speed test themselves and report issues rather than us devining them with our network settings.

I am sending mine back and getting a refund - I can't have an unreliable doorbell - the family will be on my case constantly - and I'm better off getting a $20 doorbell from the hardware store than playing tech support for a Ring device that's just not working as it should with my setup.

If I get any useful tips I'll share them on here - but I believe my Ring journey is going Tolkien style and I'll be tossing it into Mount Doom.

-=Lip

Message 47 of 101
Mfrank45
Tutor

Liberty, thats interesting. Is you problem the same as mine....no video on local wifi?

i havent given up on the Pro. Except for the video problem, I really like it. The problem will probably not get resolved until Google Fiber gets here. That shoud be in January or February. They have there own wifi router which should eliminate the problem. If that works out, I will be selling the Netgear on Ebay.  All in all, I think its amazing that Ring cant fix the problem. Or Netgear for their part.

Message 48 of 101
Liperty
Guide

Yeah... I'm not confident your Netgear router IS the problem.

I've put mine in passthrough - so essentially it's just providing modem functionality and all of my networking features are running on a Linksys router - even with this I still don't get video on local network.  Another possibility is that Ring Pro is just 'fussy' about its power supply - it doesn't help that Ring doesn't offer an AC power supply that you 100% know works - AC power supplies and video aren't always good friends as each house has slightly different AC power and unregulted power to a video device can make things a bit random.

Anyhow.. I'm trying for one last final Level 2 support call... if I get answers - I'll put them here!

-=Lip

Message 49 of 101
lynnl
Aspirant

So I am also going through this with Ring.  I'm glad to find this thread but can't believe how long this has been going on with no solution.

I can't even begin to troubleshoot the black video issue with port forwarding because the Ring is not showing in my table of connected devices.  I'm getting the MAC address from the Ring app, which shows it's connected to my network, but that MAC isn't showing on the list.

Any ideas?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 50 of 101
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E