Re: Ring.com Doorbell Video Not working

Mfrank45
Tutor

Well I am almost afrade to say it, buy I thinkj my problem with the Ring Pro is solved. 

I got an email from Netgear engenieers ask me to do the following:

Thank you for responding. Regarding item 3, please access router UI. Go to Advanced TAB > Setup > WAN Setup. Set MTU Size to 1500.

mine was set to 1400.

Well , I did that and tried to active the live view from my ipad. Nothing happened. So I powered down my modem and router and then I got live view. 

Went down to try the bell button and bell would not ring. 

Tried to Reinstalled the  bell button and in the process, it quit working and I figured I had lost power to the button. tore my hair out a little and found the fuse blown in the Ring bypass wire at the old door bell.  Got another fuse, installed and instqlled the Pro button and now all is working. I have lifve view.

Stay tuned to see if it will continue to work.

Hats off to Blanca at Netgear

Message 76 of 101
dgomer
Aspirant

I had the same problem with my old R6300v2 router. Sadly, my solution was to move over to a older Asus -N66U router. No issues with it right out the box. I get video and the push notices that I couldnt get through the R6300. Whats funny is that I'm now seeing the same problem with an Synology 1900ac router I picked up. So there has to be something in common setting wise with those two routers that might be blocking ring video and notices from coming through.

Message 77 of 101
Mfrank45
Tutor

Dont know, but changing that MTU size did it for me. Netgear engeneers figured it out after going over the router debug file that I sent them.

Message 78 of 101
Sjanush
Aspirant

We had a Ring doorbell configured with our C6300 that worked perfectly. Then the Ring died and we are now on Ring replacement unit number 4. None of them worked with our router now. They upgraded us to a Ring Pro and Chime Pro. I have to give lots of credit to Ring tech support. I was on for nearly 2 hours with level 2 support and they too remoted into the router to update configuration settings, to no avail. I'm going to do a factory reset, but something is clearly screwed up on the Netgear side, because to have 4 units that don't connect is pretty bad for any manufacturere. What's up Netgear?

Message 79 of 101
schumaku
Guru

@Mfrank45 wrote:

Well I am almost afrade to say it, buy I thinkj my problem with the Ring Pro is solved. 

I got an email from Netgear engenieers ask me to do the following:

Thank you for responding. Regarding item 3, please access router UI. Go to Advanced TAB > Setup > WAN Setup. Set MTU Size to 1500.

mine was set to 1400.

Well , I did that and tried to active the live view from my ipad. Nothing happened. So I powered down my modem and router and then I got live view. 

This tells us the Path MTU Discovery (PMTUD) does fail along the data path or is ignored by the ring.com devices. There are valid reasons why a 1500 MTU is not available, ie. on DSL PPPoE Internet connections, on VPNs, ... or a manually lowered MTU on any interface (being just for a test)

Typical cause is strictly (fully blocking) any ICMP traffic along the data path.

"Fixing" the MTU to the default resp max available is just fighting symptoms.

Message 80 of 101
Mfrank45
Tutor

""Fixing" the MTU to the default resp max available is just fighting symptoms."

i didn't understand you explanation, but it fixed my problem and that is all I cared about. 

Working perfectly now.

Message 81 of 101
StephenB
Guru

@Mfrank45 wrote:

"Fixing" the MTU to the default resp max available is just fighting symptoms."

The short answer is that the real cause is something else (likely bugs in ring.com software).

It's a bit like simply replacing tires that have uneven wear.  The real problem might be worn ball joints or lack of wheel alignment. Changing the tires just hides the problem for a while.

But in this case, changing the MTU might be all you can do on your own.

Message 82 of 101
Mfrank45
Tutor

Seems pretty cut and dry that its the particular Netgear Router R7000 that is the problem as its the only router that Ring has had a problem with. 

Message 83 of 101
StephenB
Guru

@Mfrank45 wrote:

Seems pretty cut and dry that its the particular Netgear Router R7000 that is the problem as its the only router that Ring has had a problem with. 

So they say.  There's a circle of blame that usually applies here. Client device manufacturers blame the infrastructure (routers, switches), infrastructure manufacturers blame the network, the network provider blames the client devices,... Smiley Surprised

It's often hard to cut through to the real problem.  But I agree with @schumaku's assessment - if changing the MTU to 1500 resolved the problem, something is almost certainly wrong with network software in the device. 

Message 84 of 101
lynnl
Aspirant

Changing the MTU to 1500 fixed the problem for me too.

Message 85 of 101
Mfrank45
Tutor

Great to finally hear that it helped someone else.

Message 86 of 101
lynnl
Aspirant

Yes, thank you for sharing this.  I should have said that earlier!

Message 87 of 101
Mferg26
Aspirant

Hi. I am trying to locate the IP address of my ring pro doorbell. Could someone tell me how to locate it?? Thanks!
Message 88 of 101
Mfrank45
Tutor

Log into your router and look at connected devises. But are you looking formthe ip or mac address.?

Message 89 of 101
lynnl
Aspirant

The mac address is listed under Device Health in the Ring app.  Log into 192.168.1.1 (or wherever your router is) and match the mac address in the list of connected devices.  It will probably start with A8:1B.

I have an app for my phone called Fing that keeps track of the devices connected to your network.  Unlike the Netgear interface, you can add names to them, so you only have to match up names and mac addresses once.  

Message 90 of 101
Dadh43
Aspirant

Well my wife wants a ring doorbell pro. So I decided to call ring.com. when I said I had a Netgear Nighthawk I was immediately informed ring cameras will work with "AC" routers but you'd have to change the WiFi settings, 802.11 mode to b/g/n. As "Ring Doorbell is compatible with wireless routers running 802.11 B, G, or N on 2.4 GHz.
So it appears Liperty posted a solution regarding the aforementioned for reference. Thanks Liperty.
Message 91 of 101
FigmentEngine
Aspirant

as an FYI

I had a ring camera that worked fine with old wifi router

upgraded to "NETGEAR R7100LG-100EUS Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wireless Wi-Fi Gigabit Cable Router with Built in 4G LTE" and it stopped working (same ssid etc)

when re-setting up the ring, it would not see the network. In the end I set the 2g network "mode" to "up to 54 Mbps". Now it can see the network and register properly. everything works without any other settings.

Message 92 of 101
menlomike386
Aspirant

Don't know if this is related, (I've found that "MTU" is almost never the answer that works) but I have various network hardware, and run a commercial grade firewall.  I use Netgear routers in access point mode.  I found that that the port listing on the Ring support page is incorrect.  The Ring doorbell accesses a lot of UDP ports outside the range specified by their tech support.

I found that opening the following ports works for the Ring Doorbell:

TCP 80, 443

UDP 16500-65535

TCP/UDP 15063

Message 93 of 101
Mfrank45
Tutor

Maybe the MTU " amost never" has an effect, but in my case it did. If you read the thread, I had the problem for months and no one at ring or netger could come up with an answer. I was on the phone for hours at a time. I think they tried changing the ports without any positive results. My ring has worked perfectly ever since the little lady at Netgear made the MTU suggestion. 

Message 94 of 101
LeonTorossian
Aspirant

Hi, I had similiar issues using varying router models.  I overcame the problem by:

1.  Disabling Wireless Security (Open); and

2.  Enabling Access Control - only devices with a specified MAC address may join my network (Security from Network Intruders).

Network speeds and the Ring Pro video reliability increased.

Cheers, Leon Torossian.

Message 95 of 101
Hkdaniel
Aspirant

Guys, I’m using netgear x4s d7800
When i tried to change the mtu to 1500
After saving, it just goes back to 1458
How can I change to 1500?
Many thanks
Message 96 of 101
Chrisduk
Aspirant

HI

I have 3 ring products

Doorbell (1st gen)

Stickup Cam

Flood light

The Doorbell and stickup cam work fine, since November 2017 my floodlight started having issues with blank video and connectivity info.

I did a reset on the floodlight and it would no longer connect to wifi.

I've now found out the issue was with a firmware update in November 2017, I today upgraded to a beta firmware (from https://kb.netgear.com/000053870/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-26-Hot-Fix) and now I have no issues with my ring products.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 97 of 101
rdcakadavy
Aspirant

I ordered a Ring video doorbell from ADT to add to my ADT pulse system and the technician couldn't get it to take my wifi 

password to connect.   He advised me to talk to my isp people so i called Rise Broadband and they say talk to the router people.

Router is a R7300DST/Nighthawk.  Instead i just got my refund back on the Ring smart doorbell.   The wife says she would

just rather have a camera on the front porch anyway.   Just for kicks i just checked to see if there were any blogs about Ring not working

with Netgear routers.  Boy was i surprised.  I'm glad i made my decision.   

Model: R7300DST|Nighthawk DST—AC1900 DST Router
Message 98 of 101
Chrizvi
Aspirant

Which version of ring camera you got?
The first versions doesnt support 5GHz wifi and only 2.4GHz.

I believe your router should have 2.4 capability.

Meanwhile ring pro camera supports 5GHz and I have the same router as you have and all working fine
Message 99 of 101
Mfrank45
Tutor

Its late in the game. If you follow all the post, Netgear did come up with a solution and I had it working. Since then Inhave gotten Google Fiber and the Ring Pro connected and works perfectly. 

Message 100 of 101
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements