Ring.com Doorbell Video Not working

dsulli37
Luminary

Ring.com Doorbell Video Not working

So, picked up a Ring.com doorbell...the new Pro one. Works great if my phone is connected to the same wifi SSID as the doorbell. 

Switch my phone over to cellular and all I get is audio. 

I'm on T-mobile and I'm getting 40 down and 11 up. 

They said I needed to do this with port forwarding: https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/205385394-What-Ports-do-I-need-to-open-in-my-firewall-for...

OK I did that. Still no worky. Anyone have any idea why my video feed won't work? I'm on the latest firmware...I've rebooted...did all the obvious stuff. Ready to throw this router away. 

Message 1 of 101
dsulli37
Luminary

Re: Ring.com Doorbell Video Not working

I downgraded to the old firmware....blew out all the settings and started fresh. Did all of the port forwarding again and nada. Zilch. 

Message 2 of 101
doraemon
Prodigy

Which router model you have?

What's the IP address of the doorbell?

See if DMZ will work. 

------------------------------
gimme dorayaki 😄
Message 3 of 101
dsulli37
Luminary

R7000

I fixed the IP address so it can't change and then I used that assigned IP for the port openings.

I'll try dmz....this R7000 has been fine until now. UGH

Message 4 of 101
doraemon
Prodigy

Remove first your port forwarding before using dmz.

gimme dorayaki 😄
Message 5 of 101
dsulli37
Luminary

The dmz default IP should be the same as the doorbell's IP, right? 

Message 6 of 101
doraemon
Prodigy

Right. 

gimme dorayaki 😄
Message 7 of 101
dsulli37
Luminary

I made it it the doorbell's IP address and now I have nothing - not even sound, which I had before. Ready to toss this thing in the trash.

Message 8 of 101
doraemon
Prodigy

How about if you set the NAT Filtering to Open just to test?

gimme dorayaki 😄
Message 9 of 101
dsulli37
Luminary

I appreciate your help.

I've opened this router up....no luck. 

Maybe ring.com tech support can help. 

Message 10 of 101
doraemon
Prodigy

Maybe if your modem is also wireless, try to connect to the modem and see if it will work. 

gimme dorayaki 😄
Message 11 of 101
VE6CGX
Master

What is your UPnP status? Enable or Disabled?

Message 12 of 101
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Try a earlier FW version like 4.30

Message 13 of 101
CrossStrike
Luminary

I am encountering the same issue with my Ring stickupcam with my AC2200 Nighthawk Extender

I emailed netgear support and the told me about updating the wifi channels so that there is less interference... It still hasnt worked but I will follow this discussion in case there is a solution.

I spoke to Ring too and worked with a couple reps... For me, the issue only occurs with the nighthawk, and it cannot be duplicated with other routers/extenders. It really doesn't make any sense.

Message 14 of 101
doraemon
Prodigy

How far are you from the main wifi?

Could it be distance?

gimme dorayaki 😄
Message 15 of 101
Mfrank45
Luminary

Having the same problem with my Ring Pro and netgear r7000. everything working except the live video.  waiting for a level 2 response from Ring. 

Have you solved the problem????

thanks

Message 16 of 101
Mfrank45
Luminary

Just remembered something else. Ring tecs say they can see the live video. I never can. really curious. 

Message 17 of 101
Mfrank45
Luminary

a bit more info  my firmwear on the r7000 is

Firmware Version
V1.0.4.18_1.1.52

Message 18 of 101
JamesGL
Master

Hi Mfrank45,

Update the firmware of the router to the latest one. Visit support site.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7000?cid=wmt_netgear_organic#download

JamesGL

Community Team 

Message 19 of 101
Mfrank45
Luminary

Updated the firmware. Still no live video from Ring doorbell. Scheduled for help from Ring Level 2 today. 

Message 20 of 101
Mfrank45
Luminary

Spent 2 hours on the phone with a very patient Ring Level 2 Help. He took control of my router and tried a dozen or so changes , all to no avail. Seems like someone at Netgear could come up with a solution. Possible?

Message 21 of 101
CrossStrike
Luminary

Nope, worked with Ring level 2 and Netgear level 2 reps. Netgear just doesn't seem to work for some people..

We tried so much things in the course of several weeks. I gave up and went with a different setup.

Message 22 of 101
Mfrank45
Luminary

Thanks for the response. So at this point I think it would be appropriate for Netgear to come forward and solve the problem.  Hello! Netgear, where are you??? 

Message 23 of 101
CrossStrike
Luminary

Lol seriously.. I feel like we tried everything. Ring was definitely better in the customer support side. It is 1 response a day for Netgear.

There is just something with the security/firewall built in. We tried port forwarding/triggering, DMZ, moving things around.

Live feed never worked, the motion was intermittent, and at some points the ring would just say network error. I connected to another router and it never had the problem again. I tried a different extender too and no issues.

Hands down Netgear has the better networking products currently, but only when they work.

Maybe they have a preference for their Arlo cameras..
Message 24 of 101
kentuckian6
Luminary

I have the Ring Pro and could only get the live video and motion detection working by disabling the firewall on my ISP provided router. The link below will tell you what ports you need to have open for the Original Ring Doorbell. I've heard rumor the Pro uses additional ports. I enabled all the ports listed and mine still didn't work until I disabled the firewall. I've spent 3hrs on the phone with their techs and had a new doorbell shipped to me. I'm 100% positive it's a router firewall port issue. I just emailed them and I'm hoping to get an answer with the additional ports that need to be enabled. With all that said, my brother has a Netgear router and his Ring Pro worked with no issue at all. I need to look at his firewall settings and see if I can cipher off his open ports...

What Ports Do I Need to Open in My Firewall for Ring Doorbells and Chimes?

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/205385394-What-Ports-Do-I-Need-to-Open-in-My-Firewall-for...

Message 25 of 101
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E