Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router Dropping Internet Connection

CobbT
Guide

Router Dropping Internet Connection

I’ve Had Nighthawk AC 1900 Smart WiFi Router 11 months w/o issues. Recently started dropping the internet signal. I now reboot about every 20 minutes. When working signal strength is off the charts.

Xfinity (& neighbors) confirm signal to us is/has experienced no interruptions. 

Modem is Aris Surfboard SB6190.

HELP!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
CobbT
Guide

This router shuts down about every 10 minutes, then reboots itself. Yesterday I was told my firmware needs updating. I checked NetGear App & it says my firmware is the most recent version (V1.09.34).
If it turns out being a firmware issue, how do I update it?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 15

All Replies

I assume that you have the R7000 listed in your footer. (AC 1900 is a wifi speed indicator, not as model number.)

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Message 2 of 15
CobbT
Guide

This router shuts down about every 10 minutes, then reboots itself. Yesterday I was told my firmware needs updating. I checked NetGear App & it says my firmware is the most recent version (V1.09.34).
If it turns out being a firmware issue, how do I update it?
Message 3 of 15

Greetings,

Chronic reboots.  While this is often indicative of a bad or corrupt FW flash, a failing or faulty power supply can also cause chronic or unexplainable restarts.  In addition to manually flashing the FW (not using an App or the auto update check and update) in the GUI, resetting the router and setting up from scratch is also often a good practice. 

I suggest you start with these steps.  Its perfectly fine to reflash the same version of FW.  But, your issue might not be resolved simply by reflasing and resetting if other hardware issues exist. 

Message 4 of 15

You have marked the problem as solved. Does that mean that you have worked out what to do?

If not, check these release notes:

R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.34 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You can also read the manual for the R7000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Then there is this:

How do I update my router’s firmware using the desktop genie app? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 5 of 15
CobbT
Guide

Unfortunately my internet signal is so choppy I can’t complete the actions you recommended.
I purchased this unit 9/17/2017. Is this router under any kind of mfg warranty?
Message 6 of 15

@CobbT wrote:
Unfortunately my internet signal is so choppy ....

What does that mean?

It loses the link to the modem? The wifi dies? What do all the LEDs look like when this happens?

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful.

As @shadowsports suggested, a factory reset might be useful.

See the Factory Settings bit in the manual.

So far your messages have been terse, with too little information for anyone to diagnose what it going on.

You can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

Message 7 of 15
CobbT
Guide

What are the steps to : 1) fix a ‘bad or corrupt FW flash, and/or a failing or faulty power supply; and
manually flashing the FW (not using an App or the auto update check and update)?
I already reset the router and resetted up from scratch., w/no change.
Message 8 of 15

@CobbT wrote:
What are the steps to : 1) fix a ‘bad or corrupt FW flash

Care to answer my earlier questions? The answers to those will affect the answers to that one.

In particular:

"What do all the LEDs look like when this happens?"

Without detailed knownedge of what is goin bg on at your end, we are all in the dark.

As to the power supply, try one with the same output and see if that helps. Netgear uses industry standard power supplies. Just find one with right volts and (+/-) polarity and enough amps.

Message 9 of 15
CobbT
Guide

My netgear R7000 NighthWk AC1900 Dual Band Router has 4 white lights on the far left that light up and 2 white lights on the far right that light up when the router is working. When unit stops working all these lights go out.
“Unfortunately my internet signal is so choppy” means The router quits working each time I try to do the steps others have suggested to fix the issue.
FYI - I assumed the model number of my router shows up in my messages, as I have pasted it in my requests for help (as I did in this one).
Thanks for your kind response.
Message 10 of 15
CobbT
Guide

I’m using an Arris Surfboard SB6190 modem with my R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router.
Message 11 of 15
krazyspec_02
Aspirant

Hey! I seem to be having this same problem. I have the Nighthawk AC1900 router, using smart connect for when devices connect, it chooses 2.4 or 5 when necessary. I have an Arris SB6190 modem.

I've had Xfinity come multiple times and they confirmed that our modem signal is good (upstream and downstream are within range). Still, I can connect to my router on mant devices but for some reason, they get disconnected after some time (sometimes it takes just a few minutes to disconnect, sometimes it's a few hours).

Let me know if anyone finds a solution...If I'm missings details here, let me know too.

Message 12 of 15
CobbT
Guide

I owned this router 15 months before it started dropping signal. Xfinity checked our signal (3x) & verified signal to house is strong. Contacted NetGear support who reprogrammed R7000 router remotely. However, 24 hrs later router issues returned. Contacted NG support again. After an hr trying to fix, they offered to replace my router w/a refurb, which I refused. I replaced the R7000 w/Google ‘pod’routers instead. Since then Internet/streaming speeds are thru the roof!
NOTE : As frustrating as dealing w/NG Support was (language barrier & paying $ for support), it did not compare to the pure arrogance, rudeness, and snarkiness I experienced from the NG community as I sought guidance on this site. NEVER AGAIN!
Message 13 of 15
CobbT
Guide

I owned this router 15 months before it started dropping signal. Xfinity checked our signal (3x) & verified signal to house is strong. Contacted NetGear support who reprogrammed R7000 router remotely. However, 24 hrs later router issues returned. Contacted NG support again. After an hr trying to fix, they offered to replace my router w/a refurb, which I refused. I replaced the R7000 w/Google ‘pod’routers instead. Since then Internet/streaming speeds are thru the roof!
NOTE : As frustrating as dealing w/NG Support was (language barrier & paying $ for support), it did not compare to the pure arrogance, rudeness, and snarkiness I experienced from the NG community as I sought guidance on this site. NEVER AGAIN!

Message 13 of 13

Message 14 of 15
krazyspec_02
Aspirant

Thanks for your input! I purchased the R7000 router when my Apple airport extreme router started doing this. I bought the NG R7000 router and it started doing the same thing...Xfinity checked all of my cables inside and out. They tell me the power is strong going into my house and my modem is good. I may have to try those pod-routers to see if it does anything different. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7