Re: Router Dropping Internet Connection

shelbysalpha
Initiate

Router Dropping Internet Connection

after upgrading to the release before V1.0.9.64_10.2.64 the router looses connection often via wifi. I worked fine before the new firmware...

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 12
IrvSp
Master

Many people report problems like this. Rollback the firmware is the solution.

Message 2 of 12
shelbysalpha
Initiate

Why doesn't Netgear figure this out and provide an update that works?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 12
IrvSp
Master

@shelbysalpha wrote:

Why doesn't Netgear figure this out and provide an update that works?

Same question everyone has, and for some period of time.

Basically 'they are broken'. 2 shots at the R7000 releases and they might have fixed something and broke others. Now some people are using it problem free.

Personally, it seems they have taken a step back. Concentrating on one router possibly. I believe the R7800 had a release that was supposed to fix many common problems across routers. All went well, they move the code to others.

I'd have to say the last few months have not had smooth releases that are bug free. Maybe new support people? Maybe the ones that know what was the code doing had left? Step learning curve for new support members? Bad management? You pick the reason(s).

Message 4 of 12
jbKentucky
Aspirant

Same issue here. I always like to apply the latest upgrades assuming that there are real security fixes in them, but it seems pretty consistent that doing so cripples my router. Just applied V1.0.9.64_10.2.64 a few weeks ago and having a lot of wireless issues. Direct connect to my modem and no issues, so it's definitely my router. Sometimes I can't even connect to the admin portal via browser OR mobile app. It's almost like they don't really test their firmware before releasing it. 

Message 5 of 12
OhioSteve
Tutor

I have had the R7000 router for only a few weeks.  Shortly after install I did upgrade the firmware to V1.0.9.64_10.2.64.  I now have to reboot (by power cycle) the router every few days.  Both Wi-Fi and wired connections will drop out.  Sometimes I can ping the router when this happens, most of the time I cannot.  LAN and Internet are affected.

I also had an EX7700 extender in the network but this shortens the "alive" time on the router causing even more reboots.

I do not know if related but the "Attached Devices" tab on the web UI quite often shows wireless connections as wired.

Since we use streaming services only for television this is another reason for this to be quite annoying.

Hopefully we will see a patch before long--Netgear????

Message 6 of 12
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried to revert back to an older firmware?

DarrenM

Message 7 of 12
jbKentucky
Aspirant

I don't know how to do that. Was hoping to download the previous firmware but couldn't find it here. Also, I'd hope that Netgear isn't releasing firmware updates that aren't thoroughly tested. I sell test automation software for a living, there are a few good ones out there!

Message 8 of 12
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Here is all the R7000 firmwares

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r7000.aspx#download

DarrenM

Message 9 of 12
jtdohert
Aspirant

Shame on you netgear for releasing a firmware update that instead of fixing things and making the appliance more secure, breaks wifi and internet connectivity.  What's worse is you keep promoting how I need to upgrade from 1.0.9..42.x and every firmware release since has broken my router.  GET IT FIXED RIGHT AND TESTED before the next release.

Message 10 of 12
OhioSteve
Tutor

Finally reverted to firmware version V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 and have been running on that for almost a week.  This version does seem to be stable (at least so far) as I have not had any issue with either wired or wireless connections.

I have noted that several have recommended doing a "factory reset" after firmware changes but I have not done that--all settings were preserved.

Message 11 of 12
sbwise
Aspirant

I'm trying V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 also.  I don't remember when I upgraded to V1.0.9.64_10.2.64, but wireless has been intermittently disconnecting ever since (probably about 2-3 weeks ago).

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements