Router Login Credentials Work for a While then They Stop Working - Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000-100)

KingOfTheHolly
Follower

Router Login Credentials Work for a While then They Stop Working - Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000-100)

I have added a custom password to my router configuration. It works for a while, but then within a couple months or so the login credentials will randomly stop working. I know for certain I am using the right credentials since I have them saved elsewhere. I have tried all the troubleshooting steps. Doing a factory reset works, but who wants to do that every couple months!? I have already done so 8 or more times and I have not had this router for much more than half a year. I am starting to believe this is simply a bug or defective product. I am about ready to flash a custom firmware to the device. Any ideas what is causing this?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3
additude
Virtuoso

Re: Router Login Credentials Work for a While then They Stop Working - Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000-100)

What I would do is make note of the current firmware version installed so that you can return to it if necessary.

Update the firmware to the latest version.

Create and enter a completely different password than you have been previously using and make sure that it's 10 characters long. You want to make sure that "Someone" isn't logging in on you and changing your password.

After that, see if it happens again.

Pay attention to your support warranty expiration so that it doesn't time-out.

Message 2 of 3

Re: Router Login Credentials Work for a While then They Stop Working - Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000-100)

Greetings,

Better (recommended) if he sticks with what works.  1.0.9.42 is currently what we recommend for the R7000.  Reflash manually from a PC connected directly via ethernet. Perfrom set up and configuration.  Disable Automatic Update.  Once happy, make a back up of the configuration.  (.cfg) and save this. We are recommending a manual reflash and set up to correct the intermittent behavior you are experiencing now.  The router should be "set and forget".

@KingOfTheHolly.  The take aways here.  Updates should only be performed manually, and on your terms.  Using other methods such as auto-check and update, automatic updates or Genie are largely unreliable.  They are prone to failure, and can introduce instability.  No one likes suprises.      

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements