Router Not Found

Rob987
Aspirant

Router Not Found

I just purchased this R7000 about 3 hours ago and every time I try to into the router menu by good to 192.168.1.1 or using the Genie the router can not be found and I have to restart it in order to login to the router. Does anyone else have this issue.

I already updated the router to the new firmware

So far very dissatisfied with my purchase
Message 1 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Router Not Found

Hard reset the router if you flash new firmware
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 20
Lexist2112
Luminary

If you want to access the router, this is how I do it:

1) Laptop using Win 8 32 bit.
2) Config NIC card to dhcp ( since your using default Netgear ip address)
3) Open Mozilla ( clear any cache in the browser)
4) type in 192.168.1.1 ( Netgear default address)
5) Default admin and password is open, if your starting from scratch.

If you did a "dirty" FW upgrade, and have a "different" ip address that you had configured to your network, then in step 2, when config your NIC card, uncheck DHCP and put in your address for the client and default gateway whould be the Netgear router.

Works every time Smiley Very Happy
Message 3 of 20
Mike0
Aspirant

I'm seeing the same problem, where the router is working fine and then it just stops responding to login attempts. I have to power cycle the router to get it to respond to the login attempt. During the problem, wired and wireless clients continue to work normally, but I just can't login to the router (via Firefox or Genie).

I installed the router a couple of days ago and it's done this twice to me now. The first time was right when I installed Netgear Genie. I'm a bit suspicious that it might be related to some interaction between Genie and the router.

A few technical details:
I captured the failure using WireShark and the router is not responding to the HTTP GET from my PC. The router will respond to the DNS request (routerlogin.net = 192.168.1.1), but I see no HTTP messages at all from the router. The router does respond with a TCP handshake. I also see UDP, IGMP, SMB, and SSDP messages from the router. After I reboot the router, then it does respond with an HTTP PUT to the HTTP GET and I can login successfully.
Message 4 of 20
Rob987
Aspirant

Thanks Mike exactly what is happening - I am taking the first R7000 back today because of this issue and another that it will not boadcast the DLNA Server information. When I first plug it in it would board cast this inforamtion on my network then it just stopped. I have tried everything to reinitialize this without any luck

I will give you anupdate from the new one
Message 5 of 20
Tjisret
Aspirant

OK I have found that the newer version of Netgear Genie for the Desktop has caused this very same problem for me! Do not USE GENIE this is available for download from there site right now! I have had to use the previous version of Genie that I have saved and this still does work good other then the IOS 7 Printing problem that the newer version was supposed to taken care of.. The 1st thing to do is uninstall Genie and try to find a copy of the previous version! Then power down the router and restart! I have had a open service ticket since Thursday and I just got back a reply and all they said is to upgrade to the newest firmware from which I already had done. Then I was notified there was a newer version of Firmware and I upgraded and the same thing happened when I upgrade Genie again so I uninstalled it and then went back to the older version and everything is good again. Again the Newest Version of Genie is causing this not the router itself.
Message 6 of 20
JMU1998
Luminary

I am seeing the same issue as well where I cant log into the router either via routerlogin.com or 192.168.1.1 and a hard re-set/re-boot of router is the only option to resolve this temperorarly and then after about 30 mins same issue.

Is this is conflict with genie and the new FW that was released today?

Anyone else seeing this issue?
Message 7 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

hard reset and reboot is two difference thing.

hard reset consist of using button the rear of the router

reboot usually consist of power on/off.

You need to hard reset the router if there is an issues. Go back to prior firmware and if that fixes then bug report to support via portal at my.netgear.com
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 20
JMU1998
Luminary

will the hard-reset (button at back of router) method also "reset" my current settings to factory default?
Message 9 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Yes.............
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 20
JMU1998
Luminary

Thanks for the tip on the hard reset. I performed a hard reset. FW V1.0.2.164_1.0.15 seems like the issue is with the 2.3.1.13 version of the Genie. I recommend everyone to stay away or un-install the Windows 2.3.1.13 version of the Windows Genie for now until a new compatible version is released that will work with V1.0.2.164_1.0.15.

If someone can post a link to an earlier version of the Genie for Windows that would be helpful although have not tried an older version my self so not sure if the same issue will arise with V1.0.2.164_1.0.15 only way to find out is test !
Message 11 of 20
Tjisret
Aspirant

OK I have found this link it is from CNet so it is a quality site the site says it is version 2.2.28.23 There is a slightly newer version 2.2.28.24 but 23 should work can't know for sure but it is worth a try. The link is http://download.cnet.com/NETGEAR-Genie/3000-2651_4-75803003.html?tag=mncol;1 I use version 24 before they took it down and I saved it. Try this see if it works instead of doing a reset and all I just turned the power button off and the restarted the unit and everything was fine for me.
Message 12 of 20
Tjisret
Aspirant

I found this link in another thread you might want to check it out! ftp://downloads.netgear.com/netgeargenie/update/archive/2.2.28.24/
Message 13 of 20
JMU1998
Luminary

qweet! that did the trick.. so after half a day of monkeying around the verdict is that 2.3.13 Genie for windows is not compatible with the latest FW (released today).
Message 14 of 20
JMU1998
Luminary

2.2.28.24 works great Thanks! just letting everyone in the same boat know to grab the Windows Genie version 2.2.28.24 and that will get you through till fix or new version is released!
Message 15 of 20
geeffland
Aspirant

I have seen the same issues. Internet appears to work thru this issue but router admin page quits working. I also noticed the issue fist after updating Genie to the new version to fix ios7 Printing (v2.3.1.13). Genie caused these issues with the previous Router firmware 1.0.1.?? Just updated to newest firmware that came out today (12-2-13).

Also previously had OpenDNS parental controls on in case that is part of the issue.

Does downgrading Genie fix the issue?
Message 16 of 20
Rob987
Aspirant

Thanks team,

just a quick update

I have updated to the new firmware and removed the Genie, I don't really need it right now, and everything seams to be working good.

the other issue I have is with the DNLA service. but I don't want to go off topic. so I may post this in another thread after I do some more investigation.
Message 17 of 20
Tjisret
Aspirant

I wrote right to the Netgear Genie Folks today and they said this is a known issue and they have issued a corrected Beta Version to there program and here is the link to it (BUT AGAIN THIS IS A BETA VERSION SO BEWARE as with any BETA VERSION) and this has worked for me.

http://updates1.netgear.com/temp/NETGEARGenie-install-2.3.1.16beta.exe
Message 18 of 20
Stryker0129
Aspirant

Hi Rob 987,

You want to try the latest firmware version 1.0.2.194 and it might resolve the problem that you have.

See release notes below:

New Features & Enhancements:
[Enhancement] VPN Auto Route support.
[Enhancement] Separate Attached Device List for 2.4G and 5G.
[Feature Change] 2.4G WIFI mode to "Up to 289Mbps" as default.
Bug Fixes:
Fixed potential router GUI crash when accessing QoS page.
Fixed iTune server airplay compatibility issue with Apple TV 6.0.
Fixed the router GUI crash when using Genie v2.3.1.13.
Fixed Bonjour printing with MAC OS 10.8 and 10.9.
Fixed wireless device showing as wired device in attached device in AP mode.
Message 19 of 20
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Have you resolved the issue with the latest FW?
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements