Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router Password

Bill_52
Aspirant

Router Password

I'm having issues with signing into the router.  Each time I want to connect to my Network I have to enter my router password, the computer does not remember it.  I'm running Windows 7 OS and this time.  This was not an issue with my previous router, which was a D-Link.  Does anyone out there having any suggestions?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Bill_52
Aspirant

Okay, you're suggestion did not work, but I found out what the problem was; it was my Wireless USB adapter.  I needed to add the new Netgear Routers profile to the adapter config settings.  I also needed to delete my old routers profile.  After doing so everything is working fine, no more having to enter my SSID to get logged onto the WiFi network.  Thank you all for your suggestions and help.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] Each time I want to connect to my Network I have to enter my
> router password, the computer does not remember it. [...]

Your router is not the problem; it always asks.  Your "the computer"
is not the problem; it doesn't care.  Your (unspecified) web browser is
what would need to save a user name and password for a web site like
that of your router.

My guess would be that the first time you logged into this router
this way, your web browser asked you about saving the credentials, and
you said "no/never", and now your (unspecified) web browser is not
filling in the blanks as you seem to expect it to do.  Somewhere in your
web-browser settings, you should be able to find that setting, and clear
it.

Message 2 of 8

@Bill_52,
Vague terminology, description. Are you describing behavior where:

A. You are being being prompted for a wireless password to connect to your wifi each time?

Or

B. What @antinode described you not being able to access the routers GUI?
Message 3 of 8
Bill_52
Aspirant

I totally understand what you are saying.  It's not my browser, which is Goggle, I do not want Goggle to save my passwords to the sites I visit.  It's when I fire up the computer for the first time in the morning or wake up the computer after going to sleep, I'm always offline.  In other words, I have to go to available networks, which is Neatgear, and enter the router password to get back online.  This is prior to opening my web browser or opening Outlook for email.  If I get dumped I have to enter my router password again to get back on line to the web. Why?

Message 4 of 8
Bill_52
Aspirant

Okay, it would be A.  I have to enter my routers password every time I get dumped offline or the computer goes to sleep and I wake it up; it's offline.  Yes, this is when I want to get back on my WiFi.

Message 5 of 8
antinode
Guru

> [...] I have to go to available networks, which is Neatgear, and enter
> the router password to get back online. [...]

So, your "the router password" means the wireless-network SSID and/or
passphrase?  _That_ sounds like a computer configuration problem.  Does
any other wireless-network client device have such a problem?

I do approximately nothing with wireless networks on Windows 7, so I
know nothing, but I'd suggest deleting the problem SSID(s) from its list
of known networks, and adding it/them again.  (And when asked about
remembering the network credentials, say "yes".)

And for future confusion reduction, visit http://netgear.com/support
, put in your model number, and look for Documentation.  Get the User
Manual.  Look for "Types of Logins".

Message 6 of 8

@Bill_52

@antinode is on the right track.  (I believe he's a Mac guy)  He lives in a world of terminal and bash scripting.  

I suspected it was option A.  

So open Networks > Manage Wireless Networks and highlight the profile which you have saved for your list wireless network profiles.  Now remove it.

Close the dialog and return to your desktop.  Now click on the wireless icon in your system tray (lower right-hand corner).  If you don't see your netwrks SSID, use the lttle circular arrowa in the top right corner t orefresh.  It shoud appear noe.  Select it.  This time when you are prompted for your wireless networks password, also check the box, just below it to the left that says remember password.  Otherwise the profile gets created , but will continually prompt for the password each time authentication is required. 

If your system includes a vendor installed application or utility for managing connection profiles, you might hsave to delete or modify there in addition to what  I stated above.  Let us know if this helps.

Message 7 of 8
Bill_52
Aspirant

Okay, you're suggestion did not work, but I found out what the problem was; it was my Wireless USB adapter.  I needed to add the new Netgear Routers profile to the adapter config settings.  I also needed to delete my old routers profile.  After doing so everything is working fine, no more having to enter my SSID to get logged onto the WiFi network.  Thank you all for your suggestions and help.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7