Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router - What setup is best for distance

wrch55555
Tutor

Router - What setup is best for distance

Im looking for recommendations on best router and extender combo (without overpaying)? 

I am looking to add a router to my camper at campsite and looking for broadcast the network as far as possible. Point to point might not work as i would need a receiver unit somewhere.. Will only have maybe 10 devices connected.

Thank You 

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Router - What setup is best for distance

I'm needing more details. 

What type of connection are you going to have at the camper? 

Is it something from the campsite? Like connecting to the campsites wifi? 

And how much range are you talking about covering? 

Message 2 of 9
wrch55555
Tutor

Thanks for the quick reply...

I will have an ethernet connection and power in my camper from the campground site but it will be just mine through comcast (not entire campsite wifi).  

As far as range - the more the better. Its a large campsite so the further i can get range while taking walks the better

Please let me know if more answers are needed

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

If its a standard comcast modem setup, then any router would work. Again, thats contigent if its your standard setup. If its just the campsite give you an ethernet connection while they control the router setup, then you might need an access point (most routers have an access point mode). Tough to tell of the limited info. 

but distance will be an issue for several reason. 

1. is because most campers have a metal exterior. this tends to make them giant faraday cages and block wifi. Not condusive to wifi. 

2. Distance is an issue. broadcast power is set by the fcc and routers have maxed it out for a while. so you're not going to get a whole lot of different range out of different routers. the reason point to point systems can reach a lot further is that they're directional. They broadcast all their power at a point. 

3. An option? A basic dual band router in the camper because its not going to be hard to cover full range in the camper. Then use an outdoor access point for exterior to the camper. mount it exterior to the camper (maybe slightly raised like the tv antenna's on campters) and run a wire inside the camper to connect to the router. This would give you coverage inside the camper and some range external to the camper. 

Message 4 of 9
wrch55555
Tutor

Thank You

#3 seems to be the setup im looking for...

Any product suggestions - Router?Outdoor Extender? Dont want to overbuy on specs

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

tough to tell you off the limited info. 

Everyone has different expectations on budget. 

the only hardwired outdoor extender/access point I know of that netgear makes it the WAX610Y and the WBC502 is outdoor rated and has an access point mode as well. 

router is more based on what you expect in terms of budget/performance. You don't need a massive router because its all contained in a camper. I'd go through netgears routers and pick what you think would work for your budget/performance goals. 

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/routers

Message 6 of 9
wrch55555
Tutor

Thanks again for the exchange here..

The point to point WBC502 will not work as i would need power at a receiver unit and i only have access to power at my campsite.

The WAX610 is promising but reviews shows it only gets 50ft range as an access point. The TP-Link EAP110 reflects 10x this distance.

Agree - I think just a basic WIFI 6 router for inside the camper - then a non point to point extender outside on a pole.. but would like more than 50ft 

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

@wrch55555 wrote:

Thanks again for the exchange here..

The point to point WBC502 will not work as i would need power at a receiver unit and i only have access to power at my campsite.----the WBC502 has an access point mode where it acts as an access point and not as a point to point device. 

The WAX610 is promising but reviews shows it only gets 50ft range as an access point. The TP-Link EAP110 reflects 10x this distance.----not sure what review you're looking at because this is a fairly newly released device. But if the tp-link is cheaper, go that route. Its only N300. might be worth looking for a dual band option link the unifi UAP-AC-m-US  or the engenius ENS620ext

Agree - I think just a basic WIFI 6 router for inside the camper - then a non point to point extender outside on a pole.. but would like more than 50ft 

Message 8 of 9
wrch55555
Tutor

Greatly Appreciate the reply here..

I reached out to engenius and although they no longer sell there antennas - they did recommended a third party that does sell the SA2216 2.4GH and gets about a mile range. Paired with a few it will cover this range in all directions from a central point.

Thanks again - this was very helpful advise

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7