Router Won't Change Device Priority and No Bandwidth #s

funiwant
Aspirant

Re: Router Won't Change Device Priority and No Bandwidth #s

bought it less than a month ago but the store I bought it from is gone out of business, it was 30% off, that is why I bought it. can't take it back 😞
Message 26 of 34
funiwant
Aspirant

I have just noticed that it only appears to be happening on my desktop computer, which is wired to the router, so I unplugged the cable and am using the wireless to the desktop and video is still stuttering while vid is loading. is there some setting on my desktop that needs to be changed? While it is doing this I notice that my mouse pointer even stutters while the vid is. I tried my laptop and it plays vids just fine, also did the tv with netfix, no problem. So just my desktop. Does this sound familiar, is there something we can try to get the desktop to work? Oh and while I was watching Netflix on my tv and a video on my laptop, I was also downloading a movie from VUDU on my Note 3, no problem with these, but my desktop was almost at a standstill. I was watching the download data on the router.net site and the desktop was only pulling about 0- 2Mbs while the phone was at 24Mbs and laptop was pulling 9Mbs, tv was pulling also 0-4Mbs and was very clear. Just thought I would add that info too.
Message 27 of 34
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried any alternative video player applications? Some video apps will have the option to select hardware acceleration which can have a significant effect on the encoding/decoding process.
Puffnstuff
Guide

Have you tried running a new cable from the router to your pc? Seeing that it is the only one with a problem and you are hard wired then it stands to reason that your link is the problem. If it isn't the cable then I'd try a new ethernet driver for your adapter. You might even try removing it in device manager and rescanning for hardware forcing windows to reinstall the driver just in case it might be cause your problem.
Message 29 of 34
funiwant
Aspirant

Well here is what I did. I cleaned out my registry with CCleaner and now the video is running as it should. I am thinking that when I changed firmware back to V1.0.0.76 that stuff left in the registry must have been causing some conflict. After running the cleaner everything works fine. Hopefully this was the problem. Only time will tell but for now it works. Might be something others might want to try if they are having the same problem and did revert back to V1.0.0.76 . Also I haven't hooked the cable back to the router from the desktop, still running wireless and as long as it is working, I might just keep it unhooked.
Message 30 of 34
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I can’t see that the router firmware has anything to do with the contents of your PCs registry, uploading firmware to the router does not make any changes to the PC.
funiwant
Aspirant

well it might not have helped anyway, it started acting up again. This is frustrating, why is it only on my desktop and all other connected devices seem to work fine? It seems that if I reboot the router and restart my desktop then it works correctly for awhile, then it goes back to stuttering video, if you watch the progress bar on the video, the stutter happens when the bar loads. actually seems that the whole desktop slows down during the "stuttering", it is just weird.
Message 32 of 34
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you installed the Netgear Genie to that PC? If so try uninstalling it.
funiwant
Aspirant

I was wondering about the Genie, I have noticed that if I restart my computer, everything seems normal for awhile but progressively gets worse and then needs a restart. I wasn't sure if I could remove the Genie, I will try that and see how it goes.
Message 34 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E