Router and WiFI Router

MKenM
Aspirant

Router and WiFI Router

In my current home cable comes in from street goes through the cable modem and then to my R7000 from there to all my hard wire devices.

I am moving to a new house and the way the house is wired there is no practical place for me to wire as configured above.

Can I connect a router/switch up to the cable modem and then from one of the switch ports connect it to the R700 in another room and use my existing WiFI router for WiFi in the house? Is there a conflict between the two routers? Hope this makes sense.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
myersw
Master

Re: Router and WiFI Router

Two routers would cause issues. 

Best for the one to be configured as an Access point, AP. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 7
scjay
Aspirant

You can connect a router (not a switch) up to the modem and then connect the R7000 configured as an Access Point (not a router) to broadcast WIFI in your home. Read the manual on how to configure the R7000 as an Access Point.

I'm guessing the location of your modem is not in an optimum location to broadcast throughout your house and that is why you want to do do this?

I'm also guessing there are other hardwired devices you want to connect at the modem location? If not, then forget the plain router and just send an ethernet cable from the modem to the R7000 configured as a router in the other room. Simplies the equation.

Jay

You do not want two "routers" on your network unless they are on different sub-nets.

Message 3 of 7
MKenM
Aspirant

Thank you for the replies. I'm not as tech savy as I used to be and somewhat old fashion. I want to hardwire 2 TV's and 1 PC and yes I know that I can use WiFi but wanted to leave the WiFi for cell phones and other appliances Nest and Ring etc.  assuming that the hardwire would be better for streaming as the other devices would not create as much traffic. Am I incorrect? I am on Cablevision with 100 MB download capabilities.

Message 4 of 7
scjay
Aspirant

Hardwire is usually better for high band width devices and more reliable. You can hardwire 4 devices directly to the R7000 and even more if add a switch. Again I’m guessing your hardwired devices must be closer to the modem rather than the optimum position for the Wi-Fi....right?

Adding a router as you suggested you wanted just adds more complexity to the equation. It can be done with a little bit of reading. The R7000 setup for an access point is pretty simple since it is just a selection in the Advanced/Advanced setup to select AP mode. Then you use the WAN port to connect to the router. You can still use the other 4 ports on the R7000 to connect hardwired devices. 

My system has an R8000 as my router and two R7000 configured as access points. 

Jay

Message 5 of 7
MKenM
Aspirant

While my house was being built I asked them to wire it in a certain way so that my R7000 was in my office and all of my hard wire cables were wired to that room. They didn't do it. They also made all the connections in a METAL box! So all the connections are in a small space under the stairs to the 2nd floor. That space was an unlikely place for the router.  Based on our conversation here I'm going to change my plan and put it in that space and see if the WiFi signal is strong enough for all the other devices. I am hoping not to have to use extenders. Thanks again for the reply!!

Message 6 of 7
scjay
Aspirant

Good luck and hope the signals are strong enough for your wireless devices. If it isn’t strong enough and since you have hardwire all over the house, don’t use an extender. Use an access point which will maintain the highest possible throughput. If you set the channels manually on the both Wi-Fi devices to not have channel overlap then you can have your own Wi-Fi mesh.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements