Router charger not working

davittsakadze
Follower

Router charger not working

Hello, I bought the R6120 router, it arrived yesterday, everything was working fine before today morning. The charger isn't working any more. In just 10-12 hours the charger went dead. It is a 12V 1.5A charger. I tried to charge it with my old dlink router charger (5V 2A output) and it worked. Can I keep using it or will it break the router?

Model: R6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
myersw
Master

Re: Router charger not working

@davittsakadze wrote:

Hello, I bought the R6120 router, it arrived yesterday, everything was working fine before today morning. The charger isn't working any more. In just 10-12 hours the charger went dead. It is a 12V 1.5A charger. I tried to charge it with my old dlink router charger (5V 2A output) and it worked. Can I keep using it or will it break the router?

Two options return router or continue using the tplink power brick, these are not chargers as there is no battery to charge in the router. Fact that the one you are using has a higher amp rating will not hurt anything. The router will only use what it needs, no worries about damage to the router. I have done things like this myself with no ill effects. These power bricks are built cheap so no surprise of early life failure. If it were me I would just continue using the dlink power brick. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 4
antinode
Guru

> [...] Fact that the one you are using has a higher amp rating will not
> hurt anything. [...]

Generally true.  But the 12V versus 5V rating would suggest (to me)
potential trouble.  (So to speak.)

> [...] If it were me I would just continue using the dlink power brick.

If it were I, I'd try to get the defective adapter replaced under
warranty.  Failing that, I'd look for an adapter with the right voltage
rating, and an adequate current rating.  I would not expect the (12V)

router to work as expected with a 5V adapter.

Message 3 of 4
myersw
Master

Oops. Did not catch the different voltage. Ugh

Need to have correct voltage as well as correct amps or a little more amps wise. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements