Router does not show windows network computers but has internet connection

KristianSolem
Aspirant

Router does not show windows network computers but has internet connection

4 PC's, all Win 10, upgrades up to date. Firmware version V1.0.1.46.

My desktop can be plugged in on ethernet, or wiress. The other 3 are on wireless. Whether I use ethernet of wi-fi makes no difference.

All of the PC's have fast reliable internet, but  none of the computers can see each other on the network.

I have checked all of the settings in the network and sharing and advanced control panels.

Any and all suggestions re welcome. Thanks!

It's an R6400, not one of the choices on the dropdown model list

Message 1 of 4
IrvSp
Master

Re: Router does not show windows network computers but has internet connection

Your not saying HOW you are trying to see each device/PC? Using Windows Explorer or NET VIEW? I bet if you enter the IP Address of the other PC in a NET VIEW command (NET VIEW 192.168.1.50 for example it would work) or in Windows Explorer as well.

Problem both NG's and Window 10.

Window 10 since V1709 has turned off SMB1. You need that as NG has not enable WS-DISCOVERY it seems in the router firmware.

Google "windows 10 smb1" and you'll get all the details and how to enable it and why you need to as well. On all PC's that do not have it as well for it to work. Otherwise a NET VIEW command will get an error 53 I recall?

Message 2 of 4

More locally:

Solved: ALL Netgear USB Drive Mapping Issues ReadyShareCo... - NETGEAR Communities

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 4
IrvSp
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

More locally:

Solved: ALL Netgear USB Drive Mapping Issues ReadyShareCo... - NETGEAR Communities

That may apply only to the 2 listed routers. Yes, SMB3 is running on most routers. That alone is NOT enough. Depends how you use the shares. Programs, like VLC for the PC or AirPlay on iOS are using NETBIOS names as does NET VIEW from the Windows CMD line. For these to work, WS-DISCOVERY Protocol must also be enabled, and it seems it is not.

For more information see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-by-default-in-windows. From it:

=================

Explorer Network Browsing

The Computer Browser service relies on the SMBv1 protocol to populate the Windows Explorer Network node (also known as "Network Neighborhood"). This legacy protocol is long deprecated, doesn't route, and has limited security. Because the service cannot function without SMBv1, it is removed at the same time.

However, if you still have to use the Explorer Network in home and small business workgroup environments to locate Windows-based computers, you can follow these steps on your Windows-based computers that no longer use SMBv1:

1. Start the "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" services, and then set them to Automatic (Delayed Start).
  2. When you open Explorer Network, enable network discovery when you are prompted.

All Windows devices within that subnet that have these settings will now appear in Network for browsing. This uses the WS-DISCOVERY protocol. Contact your other vendors and manufacturers if their devices still don't appear in this browse list after the Windows devices appear. It is possible they have this protocol disabled or that they support only SMBv1.

====================

So, NG did 1/2 the job. If they did do WS-DISCOVERY then you wouldn't need SMB1, would you? See the last paragraph as well.

Look at the screen caputer on the right. See what the Router is using? Yes, the R8000 does have SMB3 running. Note what my PC is using for discovery. Yes, I have the 2 functions listed above enabled.

An interesting link on this, https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1363486-windows-10-lan-different-with-april-update/.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements