Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router download speeds are slow on Nighthawk R8300

packerbacker12
Initiate

Router download speeds are slow on Nighthawk R8000

I just recently switched to Spectrum here in WI. My download speed when connectly directly to the Spectrum provided modem is 108MB. When connect any of my devices to the route,r either wireless or hardwired, I'm only getting downloads of 25MB to 35MB. 

To try and troubleshoot this, I have used the Netgear genie app to see if I could switch any settings but I'm not seeing the where to change DHCP or anything else but just the Channels. The firmware has been updated and the lates version of Netgear genie is installed.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

Things that people have tried to fix the "router is throttling my modem" issue with various devices:

• Ensure that the cable from the router to the modem is up to the job
  • Check that you have the latest firmware (and "factory reset" the device)
  • Check that you have the right internet settings for your ISP (especially MTU)
  • Turn off QoS
  • Turn off the Traffic Meter

Netgear also advises that you should turn off QoS if you are on Gigabit Internet. You don't need it.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
azwebbie
Aspirant

I am having a similar issue with my Nighthawk R8300 X8 Router.  Running Win 10 Home 64bit with Cox Gigablast Internet service.  Wired Download speed is around 900 Mbps but my best wireless speed on the 5G with Smart Connect is 150Mbps standing right next to the router.  I also have a Nighthawk X4S Wifi Mesh Range Extender installed and it does pretty much maintain that 150 Mbps throught the house (Wireless speeds are measured with the Netgear Wifi Analysis app on an Android Tablet) but my wireless speeds should be 10 to 15 times faster than what I am getting.  I have Factory Reset the router and re-installed the current Firmware Version V1.0.2.106 from the Netgear Support site.

What additional information do you need and what suggestions do you have to increase my wireless speeds?

Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 2 of 8

Things that people have tried to fix the "router is throttling my modem" issue with various devices:

• Ensure that the cable from the router to the modem is up to the job
  • Check that you have the latest firmware (and "factory reset" the device)
  • Check that you have the right internet settings for your ISP (especially MTU)
  • Turn off QoS
  • Turn off the Traffic Meter

Netgear also advises that you should turn off QoS if you are on Gigabit Internet. You don't need it.

Message 3 of 8
azwebbie
Aspirant

Thanks for the response Michael.  I have already addressed each of your suggestions and nothing has helped.  The Router is Netgear R8300 and my wired speed is close to the gigabit expected but wireless speed even right next to the router max is 150 Mbps.

Any other suggestions?  Thanks

Message 4 of 8

@azwebbie wrote:

...but wireless speed even right next to the router max is 150 Mbps.

Wireless speeds will never match wired speeds. The chances of getting wifi to run at anything near gigabit are pretty well zero.

Wifi speeds depend on the technology used in the source (the router) but equally on what the clients can handle.

By the way, you seem to have hijacked a question about wired speeds with your own query about wifi speeds. My answer was really intended for @packerbacker12 who asked the first question.

What you call a "similar issue" is no such thing. You don't even have the same hardware as @packerbacker12.Nor are your Internet speeds comparable.

If you want the Netgear support team to respond to your query, perhaps you should start your own discussion.

Message 5 of 8
packerbacker12
Initiate

Thank you very much for the advice and it has seemed to solve the problem.  I'm now getting around 90MB plus on my wired and wireless connections to the router.

Message 6 of 8
azwebbie
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.  Using an Android Tablet Model XR6M10 android version 5.1.1and the Netgear Wifi Analysis app from the Google App Store.  It is the only Android device I own and doesn't look like this app is available from Apple Store.  I am also using a Nighthawk X4S Wifi Extender Hardware Version: EX7500 Firmware Version: V1.0.0.28_1.0.43

Is there an iPhone App or Windows 10 App you recommend to measure Wifi Speed?

Message 7 of 8
azwebbie
Aspirant

I ran Speedtest.net from my Lenovo Win 10 64bit Laptop with the MS Edge Browser. NIC card is Qualcomm Alteros QCA61x4A and I first updated the NIC Driver.  Wireless speed on this laptop is now +/- 400 Mbps download and +/- 400 Mbps upload running a few feet away from the R8300 Router and much more acceptable.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7