Re: Router drops internet connection once a day, please help! Nighthawk X6S AC3000

TraineeV2
Tutor

Router drops internet connection once a day, please help! Nighthawk X6S AC3000

Hello Everyone,

Almost once a day I will come back to my home network and find out that I have no connection to the internet ever since I got my Nighthawk X6S AC3000. It is weird because windows does not give me the yellow triangle with !, but none of my devices wire and wireless can get any data flow to or from my network to the internet. The only solution is to reboot the router through the Genie app and everything goes back to normal. It is random times everyday and it is almost everyday. I have exhcanged the router once already, thinking it was faulty hardware, but now the second router is doing the same thing.

Thanks,

Mark

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 37
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Re: Router drops internet connection once a day, please help! Nighthawk X6S AC3000

Reset the router. Reconfigure the setting. While you have internet connection, go to download the firmwares below to your PC.
If the router stsarts failing again, then repeat the steps above to resst the router. Once worked, then go to www.routerlogin.net to get to router interface . Flash the router FW to either of them that you downloaded.
R7900-V1.0.1.18_10.0.20.chk
R7900-V1.0.1.12_10.0.17.chk
Message 2 of 37
TraineeV2
Tutor

I have reset the router and they are factory settings on the router.

The firmware you listed does not work for my router.

Thanks,

Mark Cuccaro

Message 3 of 37
TerryPh
Virtuoso

I was confused at your post. regarding your router model. If your model is R7900P, then the firmware I mentioned aboved will not work.

Can you confirm your present FW version ?

Try to flash Fw back to either

R7900P-V1.1.4.6_1.1.85.chk 

or

rR7900P-V1.1.4.4_1.1.80.chk

Hope this will finally helps

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 4 of 37
TraineeV2
Tutor

Terry,

The model I have is  Nighthawk X6S AC3000.

Are you aware of an actual issue that is causing me to have this problem, is that why you are suggesting specific firmware?

I am very close to returning the router agai and getting a differnt brand.

Thanks,

Mark 

Message 5 of 37
aataree
Guide

I've been having this same daily lock up issue ever since the QoS firmware patch around december. It worked for a while after that, then started freezing up almost daily. I have firmware V1.3.0.8_1.2.1 installed right now.

It has several primary symptoms.

1. Device freezes on website traffic for all devices connected
2. Existing video streams continue, even after router is locked up. So it's not a full stop on traffic, just traffic on new requests.
3. Cannot add new devices to router
4. Sometimes get error that all IP addresses are in use, despite only 10-15 devices connected.
5. Zero user access to firmware page during the lockup issue.

6. Does not show any errors in logs.

I've turned off the QoS option in the hopes that is the issue.

I often have 3-4 High Def streams going at all times, which was no problem for my first few months of ownership of this router, but has been the last month or so.

Netgear needs to look into this issue for the R8000P. And add in some new features,  where,

1. If the router locks up, it can auto-reboot itself.

2. Where the log file isn't cleared automatically during device reboot. We need to see the logs of the error BEFORE a reboot, if the user hopes to identify the actual problem.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 37
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Hi Mark.
I'm aware of actual symptoms of your router, having problem. I can only postulate the root cause of it and it seems all have to do with memory limitation/ allocation, and the way network packets are navigated through .
If you prefer, please just try the FW 's I mentioned above to see if it is stable. The fix from Netgear is probably will not in the near future, as they are working on it. Second option is to return it if you are still in the window of returning, for another router branch, and it is understandable.
Best,
Terry
Message 7 of 37
aataree
Guide

I forgot to add that I am indeed using a USB 3.0 Hard Drive with DLNA enabled. Some other posters said that it causes an issue, so I'm adding an addendum here

Message 8 of 37
SpudmasterBob
Aspirant

Having the same issue with the internet just dying once a day with the latest FW where I have to reset the router to fix it.  Tried reverting back to the R7900P-V1.1.4.6_1.1.85.chk and will see if it continues to have any issues.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 37
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Try to turn off DLNA, whether you have USB drive(s) attached to router or not, to see if the router is stable, after you downgrade the firmware AND the problem still persists.

Best,

Terry

Message 10 of 37
photobug605
Guide

I was having the same problem with loss of internet connectivity almost every day.  I tried different newer firmware including the current V1.3.0.10_1.2.2 with identical problems with internet connectivity.  Mind you, this happens with a desktop computer connected by ethernet to the r7900P router; not just wireless.  The recommendation in the forums to downgrade firmware to v1.1.4.6_1.1.85 has worked for me.  It has been very stable, although I would prefer a newer firmware, hopefully with improvements and better security.  Hopefully, netgear will release the beta version V1.3.0.11_1.2.2 that many indicate has solved their problem.  By the way, Spectrum is my internet provider and I purchased the r7900P from Costco, as many others have done.

Message 11 of 37
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@photobug605

I'm glad it works for you, while wating for NG to work on next FW. I sincerely hope that it is in the near future, but I am not betting on it, neither.

Message 12 of 37
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

We have a new firmware that should fix the issue with intermittent internet connection.

R7900P: https://kb.netgear.com/000058266/R7900P-Firmware-Version-1-4-0-8-Hot-Fix

R8000P: https://kb.netgear.com/000058267/R8000P-Firmware-Version-1-4-0-8-Hot-Fix

Message 13 of 37
photobug605
Guide

First, I really want to thank Netgear for continuing to work on this problem and for following up with the proposed firmware fix, however I continue to have the problem of losing my internet (although it seems to be about every other day now instead of every day.  I am using the Nighthawk R7900P router with version V1.4.0.8_1.2.12 firmware that I downloaded on Windows 10.  Thanks and please keep working to fix this problem.

Message 14 of 37
photobug605
Guide

I should have added that I have reverted back to v1.1.4.6_1.1.85 which has given me no problems.  If this version and the newer/newest versions are similar (assuming upgrades from base firmware and not completely new re-write), perhaps a review of the changes may reveal what may be causing the problem.  Just a suggestion.

Message 15 of 37
RMAPP
Aspirant

Hello, 

I have also installed this firmware V1.4.0.8_1.2.12 Now it drops every 2 to 3 days instead of every day. 

Message 16 of 37
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi RMAPP, 

Please update the firmware to 1.4.0.10. 

Here's the release notes: 

https://kb.netgear.com/000058837/R8000P-Firmware-Version-1-4-0-10

Regards,

Blanca
Community Team

Message 17 of 37
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@Blanca_O

Any progress on R8000 v. 1.0.4.18 problems? I just want to get your attention to the R8000P 's brother..

Terry

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 18 of 37
TomInCal
Aspirant

Last week i downloaded firmware R79000 V1.4.0.8_1.212_beta.chk to replace V1.3.0.10_1.2.2.  So far i  have not had any dropped internet connection.  Thank you.

Message 19 of 37
photobug605
Guide

Got an email from Blanca_0 to update the firmware to 1.4.0.10.  I updated to this on the June 5th and lost internet on the 7th (2 days), so the problem persists.  Thanks for continuing to work on it and for the updates to try.

Message 20 of 37
RMAPP
Aspirant

Updated to suggested Firmware 6/5 firmware to 1.4.0.10. Dropped 6/7 7 PM MST. Rolling back firmware again. Problem still persists. 

Message 21 of 37
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi All,

A new firmware is available that believed to address the Internet connection or intermittent connection issue. Please update the firmware to 1.4.1.24. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059559/R8000P-Firmware-Version-1-4-1-24

Regards,

Blanca  

Community Team

Message 22 of 37
photobug605
Guide

I downloaded and installed the updated firmware version 1.4.1.24 five days ago and it is still running without failure (yay!).  I know that 5 days is not much (in router reboot timelines), but this is the most promising upgrade for some time.  Thanks for the notices Blanco; and to Netgear for their persistence in trying to fix this problem.

Message 23 of 37
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi photobug605, 

Glad to hear about the update. Please continue to observe the connection and keep us posted. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 24 of 37
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@photobug605, @Blanca_O
On NG web site, version 1.4.1.24 is listed for R8000P.
What is your router model that is running quite good on this version, may I ask, because your post lists R7900P X6S, inclusively.
I'm confused.....😉
Message 25 of 37
Discussion stats
Announcements