Re: Router drops internet connection once a day, please help! Nighthawk X6S AC3000

photobug605
Guide

Re: Router drops internet connection once a day, please help! Nighthawk X6S AC3000

It is indeed the R7900P.  I saw the mention for R8000P also, but I have consistently listed the R7900P and received notices/emails for various upgrades telling me to use this and with a supplied link.  The firmware version now loaded is V1.4.1.24_1.2.20.  The GUI version is V1.4.1.24_2.1.46.1.  It seems to be working Great!!

Message 26 of 37
forensic6
Aspirant

I am running the newest firmware yet I'm still having this issue.  It's daily and sometimes multiple times per day.  Any chance it could be the netgear cable modem that needs a firmware upgrade?  

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 27 of 37
myersw
Master

Run/drive as quick as you can to Costco, assuming that is were the r7900 came from. They and the firmware are junk!!! 

Get yourself a Asus RT-AC86U and run Merlin or a Netgear R7800 and run Voxel. Then you will have a stable network IMHO. Again IHMO a stable network is not going to happen with the r7900 or r8000 or r8000p for that matter as the firmware is crap!!!! There is not reason at this time given all the months that Netgear is going to get the firmware right. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 28 of 37
buddymonster
Tutor

No it does not fix the issue..event the last update for 07/18/2018 does not fix the issue!

Message 29 of 37
myersw
Master

Return the piece of junk if within the return window and get something else. Like a Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin firmware or R7800 running Voxel firmware. The r8000 and r8000p firmware is IMHO carp and not getting any better. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 30 of 37
Hack01
Aspirant

I am still having this issue but it occurs multiple times a day across multiple devices. The only temporary fix I have found is to disconnect the device from the WiFi and reconnect them.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 31 of 37
forensic6
Aspirant

Just took it back and got an x10, LOL
Message 32 of 37
Jackie_KAM
Aspirant

Dear All,

I'm one of the victim of this "Internet drop" issue.

Something I need to clarify. Do you have this symptom?

- When you goto "Access Control" and click one of the item to edit, you may found the the display device information is incorrect.

- In the "Access Control" page, you have select "Block all new devices from connecting".

My Testing (Still in progress)

Guess: The ACL has been collapsed and ALL the devices has been blocked, but the router still running as usual!

What I've do

- Clear all the assigned IP address and MAC address in "LAN" page and type the MAC address again. (don't know it's helpful :-P)

- Build the ACL carefully. In the "Access Control" page, create the list. Click one of the item to edit, you may found the the display device information is correct. If the information incorrect, delete it and build it again.

- In the same page, you have select "Allow all new devices to connect".

I've running the router with this configuration for three days without any issue.

What Next

If I can run it smooth, I'll change the "Access Control" setting back to "Block all new devices from connecting" on coming SAT(10/08/2018) for next stage testing.

Good Luck!

From JK (HKG)

Message 33 of 37
Jackie_KAM
Aspirant

Oh! **bleep**!

The router crash again, that means it's NOT work!

Is it really a hardware issue? Is it everyone have the same problem? :-(

Message 34 of 37
Networknewb88
Aspirant

So, I just installed this modem behind my Arris nvg510 modem from at&t (uverse). I've been seeing it up and fixed my double NAT issue by putting the modem in Default Server mode, only to immediately get WiFi dropouts every 10 minutes.

I'm seeing DOS attacks and I fear I've given the router a bad habit of getting false positives but I don't know.

What I do know is the router decides to shut off Wi-Fi completely and disconnect everything. a few minutes later it turns back on and every single Wi-Fi band is available rather than the Smart Connect. After that Smart Connect comes back online and I can reconnect to it.

I can't get this fixed in the next few days I'm probably going to send it back to Costco.
Message 35 of 37
myersw
Master

Would not worry too much about DOS attacks.  Suspect live where DFS channels are available and the router 5 gig wireless is set to auto channel. Here little write up:

Dropping of wireless on 5GHZ.
Problem can come up if the router is set to auto channel select which is default. What can happen is the router has selected a DFS (Dynamic Frequency Selection) channel. If the router is on one of these channels and it detects what it thinks is radar, which can be things like a microwave oven, the router will shutdown the wireless for a period of time. You can see that depending on channel the router will shutdown the wireless for 1 or 10 minutes by regulations. It is possible that due to firmware issues it may not restart the wireless.

If operating on channel 52,56,60,64,100,104,108,112,132,136,140, 5GHZ devices should detect radar signals for about 1 minute, and it should take for about 10 minutes when operating on channel 116,120,124,128 according to ITU-T Radio Regulations. Wireless client are not able to find the wireless signal broadcasting by the AP during this period.
Although DFS gives you the choice to use DFS channels but it may be annoying when there is radar operating nearby. To mitigate the effect of DFS you may choose a fixed non-DFS channel if available.

My suggestion is that a channel should always be configured and pick on outside of the DFS channels listed above. I typically use 149 or 36 and do not have issues of loosing wireless channels.

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 36 of 37
buddymonster
Tutor

Have not had an Internet Drop in three weeks...Not sure why but here is the case.  

1. did a factory reset

2. load V1.4.1.24_1.2.20 firmware

3. Enabled Dynamic QoS

4. Turn on Access control

5. my 5ghz channels to 44 and 153

6. 2.4 ghz in auto

7. Enable MU-MIMO

8. Did NOT enable Smart Connect.

Other items...UPnP is enabled, and IPv6 is in auto config, no VPN, No Dynamic DNS service and using Readyshare to collect Log file for router. 

So issue to date...

Give it another week and if nothing happens I will turn on Smart connect and see if I lose the Internet connect.

. Did NOT turn on Smart connect

Message 37 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements