Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router gets VERY slow and needs reboot

tobeyal
Aspirant

Router gets VERY slow and needs reboot

I've had this router for about 1 year. It worked well, but after about 3 weeks things would start streaming slow, movies and games. After a restart everything worked fine.

A month ago I started having issues with my wife's phone, Galaxy S6. It would stay connected, but internet was so slow it was unusable. The mobile network was fine. If we connected to wifi at a store or libray it was fine. Only time we had an issue is at home. To give you an idea if we did a Speedtest it would take 1-2 minutes to "Find the Best Server". After that push "Begin Test" and the speed was about 75 Mbps. For my phone the "Find the Best Server" was 2-3 seconds. Do the same test on the mobile network and it works great.

I tried moving it from 5 ghz to 2.4, changed the encryption, rebooted the phone, reset the phone, rebooted the router nothing helped the speed. Finally I tried connecting with WPS instead of using the passphrase and that worked. For a while. Every 1-2 days it gets slow again. I need to reboot the router, then it works fine again for another 1-2 days.

Provider is Xfinity and I believe we have the latest firmware.

Needless to say it's very frustrating to have to reboot the router every day. Today it worked only 12 hours and I had to reboot again. We have 4 computers, Chromecast, smart appliances, ipods, and none of them have a problem. Only 1 phone and then it only started a month ago.

Any ideas? This is very frustrating.

Thanks.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
tobeyal
Aspirant

Re: Router gets VERY slow and needs reboot

Sorry for the delay. I was able to get a fix and wanted to wait a couple days to make sure it sticks. All I did was reset the router to factory defaults and then reconfigured it. It's been 3 days and it's working great. Strange, that is what had to be done. But it's working. Thanks for help.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi tobeyal,

1. What is the firmware of your router?

2. If you connect a computer to the modem, bypassing the router, will you get a stable connection?

Message 2 of 4
JamesGL
Master

Hi tobeyal,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 4
tobeyal
Aspirant

Sorry for the delay. I was able to get a fix and wanted to wait a couple days to make sure it sticks. All I did was reset the router to factory defaults and then reconfigured it. It's been 3 days and it's working great. Strange, that is what had to be done. But it's working. Thanks for help.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7