Router gives out its own address for DNS

meyousikmann
Aspirant

Router gives out its own address for DNS

I have a Nighthawk R7000 that doesn't seem to serve the proper DNS address to my clients via DHCP. The router's address is set to 192.168.0.2.

The router is configured as the DHCP server, but I am running a local DNS server to better manage host names and name resolution within my network. I've gone to Advanced -> Setup -> Internet Setup -> Domain Name Server (DNS) Address and selected the "Use These DNS Servers" radio button. For Primary DNS, I've entered the address of my local DNS server (192.168.0.1). For Secondary DNS, I've entered the primary DNS address from my ISP.

When I issue an ipconfig /all on any one of my network clients, it shows the DNS address as 192.168.0.2 (the address of the router). This is wrong and is causing name resolution problems since the router is not a DNS server.

I've rebooted clients several times. I've rebooted the router several times. I've updated the router firmware to the latest at the time of this writing (1.0.5.48). I've tried ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew to no avail. The DNS address is always 192.168.0.2 at my clients.

What gives? Shouldn't the router be handing out the DNS server addresses I input? Why is it handing out its own address?

While not a networking expert, I do work in IT so have a solid understanding of networking so am pretty sure it is the router that is not behaving correctly.

Message 1 of 5
TheEther
Guru

Re: Router gives out its own address for DNS

AFAIU, the router is behaving as Netgear intended, though not how you prefer.  Specifically, the router will always advertise itself as a DNS server and will relay all queries to the DNS servers specified in its configuration.  Technically, there is nothing wrong with this.  You can have a DNS server that is not an authority for anything.

Unfortunately, there have been a few other threads on the forum that report that this doesn't seem to work.  I speculate that the router code that relays DNS queries executes after NAT is performed, which makes the queries ineligible to be sent back to the LAN.  I will ask Netgear Engineering if they can comment on this.

At this point, you have a few options:

1. Don't use a local DNS server.  Instead use WINS or mDNS.  Both of these are serverless options.
  2. Manually configure DNS server addresses on your devices.  I know, ugh, but maybe you can get away with doing it only on devices that need to reach your internal server.
  3. Disable the DHCP server on the R7000 and install your own.  You could install a DHCP server on your DNS server, for example.
  4. Install 3rd party firmware, like DD-WRT or AsusWRT-Merlin.  These have DNS servers that will do exactly what you want.
  5. Complain to Netgear and ask them to offer an option to toggle between the current behavior and advertising the configured DNS servers.
Message 2 of 5
meyousikmann
Aspirant

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.  I have to admit that I am more than a little disappointed with the router not being able to do what I want.

With regard to your listed  options:

1. Not really an option for various reasons.  We need to keep our local DNS server.
  2. As you indicated...ugh.  While technically an option, not really practical.
  3. The reason we are using the router's DHCP instead of our own is to allow the guest network functionality but prevent guest access to our network.  If we disable the DHCP and run our own while still preventing guest access to our network, guests will be unable to reach DHCP or DNS.  Essentially, this kills guest access to the internet while connected to our router.
  4. This looks like the only viable option.
  5. As much as I like to complain, experience tells me they won't really care.

Another option that I just thought about is to actually do your #3 option and just setup another hardware access point but deny local LAN access.  Not sure how that will work so I will probably go for option 4 and see what happens.

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

I just installed AsusWRT-Merlin myself and it's working well.  You can even install it on top of stock firmware.  No fancy reformatting required.

Message 4 of 5
TheEther
Guru

I heard back from Netgear Engineering.  The engineer believes that a local DNS server is not supported.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements