Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router is halving download speed

BadAtGames
Initiate

Router is halving download speed

I am currently having an issue with my download speeds. My modem is a nighthawk docsis 3.1 and my router is a nighthawk AC2300. My ISP is providing greater than 400mbps and if I plug my Xbox directly into the modem I get what is stated (sometimes over 500) . However I’d like to have WiFi as well. So I’d think, Modem->WiFi Router->Xbox (wired) would give me the full speed... well it doesn’t. It gives me (wired) about 220-250mbps DL with no other devices connected to the WiFi. The wireless settings are about the same. Not only that but each bandwidth 2.4 and 5 show the same speeds. I have reset my settings to factory reset 3 times and it hasn’t change a thing. Talked to support for 40 minutes and after reuploading the most recent firmware, and changing channels, nothing changed. Does anyone know what could be going on or what settings I need to change? Thanks
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Which modem do you have? what you gave isn't a model number.

Whatt firmware are you on? The latest isn't always the best. Reason why is netgear added netgear armor to devices and removed some features. this caused issues with a few of the older routers. 

try installing version 1.3.0.20, factory resetting, and manually installing the router (not from backup). 

When you set it up, just setup the basics like wifi/internet connection. DO NOT enable qos, traffic monitoring, etc as they disabled ctf (cut through forwarding). CTF is needed for speeds >250mbps. 

Also, how are you speed testing? I've seen many times were it was the testing server causing the issue because it was maxed out. 

Some apps will let you change the testing server. 

I'd recommend trying dslreports.org's server  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Which modem do you have? what you gave isn't a model number.

Whatt firmware are you on? The latest isn't always the best. Reason why is netgear added netgear armor to devices and removed some features. this caused issues with a few of the older routers. 

try installing version 1.3.0.20, factory resetting, and manually installing the router (not from backup). 

When you set it up, just setup the basics like wifi/internet connection. DO NOT enable qos, traffic monitoring, etc as they disabled ctf (cut through forwarding). CTF is needed for speeds >250mbps. 

Also, how are you speed testing? I've seen many times were it was the testing server causing the issue because it was maxed out. 

Some apps will let you change the testing server. 

I'd recommend trying dslreports.org's server  

Message 2 of 3
BadAtGames
Initiate

Downloaded/uploaded that firmware, turned off auto update, unplugged my modem, factory reset my router, blinking light came on then immediately unplugged router, Plugged in the modem, waited 5 minutes, turned on router, waited 5 minutes, set up basic settings via computer, then connected my direct connections. The Ethernet connections now work at modem speeds!....but the WiFi speeds are still around the same. Ethernet connections now get over 400DL! Honestly not disappointed with 200 WiFi, which I know should be higher, but as long as direct connections are getting their full speeds I’m satisfied. Thank you for the response/recommendation. kudos
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7