Router is inaccessible after this morning's upgrade

ejmm22
Aspirant

Router is inaccessible after this morning's upgrade

This morning i started an upgrade on my router's firmware because i got an email from netgear and now the router does not boot up, the reset button does not work
The only light on and is blinking is the power light, i connect it directly to a computer and it cannot be accessed
Any ideas?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 22
IrvSp
Master

Re: after this morning's upgrade

I had the same thing happen. All I had to do was power it off and on. Try that. Otherwise it sounds as if it is bricked? If so, search this forum for "bricked r7000" and you'll see a few ways to recover (most are technical and not all succeed).

Message 2 of 22
antinode
Guru

> [...] The only light on and is blinking is the power light, [...]

Sounds like a candidate for the TFTP recovery scheme.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1533866#M87578

Message 3 of 22
ejmm22
Aspirant

Thank you, i did try a power cycle, left the reset button pressed for over 3 minutes and nothing worked
Message 4 of 22
Jovitavi
Aspirant

Same here after the upgrade the router stop working and it won't reboot too only the power is blinking non stop. Is there anyone who can help to solve this problem. Even call the service provider still cannot solve the problem.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 22
ejmm22
Aspirant

I wish netgear were more responsible, i depend on my wifi and wringly went with netgear for it. They issued an upgrade that is causing troubles they should offer free support for these cases
Message 6 of 22
ejmm22
Aspirant

This did not work, the power light kept blinking and the activity light assigned to the port where i connected the computer was blinking fast but the upgrade failed all 3 times, i did it twice more just in case and it always failed

Reset button is still not working

Message 7 of 22

Another reset option:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

It is supposed to get you into recovery mode.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 22
ejmm22
Aspirant

Reset button does not work, thank you

@michaelkenward wrote:

Another reset option:

It is supposed to get you into recovery mode.

Message 9 of 22

@ejmm22 wrote:

Reset button does not work, thank you

Yes. But what does "not work" mean?

Let me repeat another suggestion.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That is a bit out of date in that it does not tell you that Windows has a TFTP function built in, you just have to enable it.

• Control Panel
  • Programs and Features
  • Turn Windows features on or off
  • TFTP client - enable

That's probably easier than retrieving software from a website.

TFTP can be a bit complicated, but it has rescued many "bricked" devices that just sit there with a flashing power LED. It is what Netgear would tell you if you range the support line.

If that fails and your device is still under warranty, go down that route.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 10 of 22
ejmm22
Aspirant

Tftp did not work, i posted that, the activity light from the port where the pc is connected blinks all the time but the process fails
"Reset button does not work" means that i pressed it for over 2 minutos and did nothing i pressed it, unplugged the router, plugged back in ehile reset is pressed and held that for over a minute and did not work
Message 11 of 22
LJSTN
Aspirant

My router also quit after the upgrade.  Netgear should have the bugs taken out before releasing an “update”.  Now how do they intend to fix it.

Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 12 of 22

@ejmm22 wrote:
Tftp did not work...

This tell us nothing. To work out where it went wrong – and if you were doing it properly –  you'll have to explain what you did and, more important, what messages you saw when using tftp.

@ejmm22 wrote:
"Reset button does not work" means that i pressed it for over 2 minutos and did nothing i pressed it, unplugged the router, plugged back in ehile reset is pressed and held that for over a minute and did not work

Again, that quite isn't what the instructions were.

It may be that "removing power" isn't the right thing. Who knows?

Doing all this as specified is no guarantee that it will fix your hardware, but no one is going to be able to offer any further advice without more details.

@ejmm22 wrote:
....the activity light from the port where the pc is connected blinks all the time but the process fails...

That;s not what we are looking for. You don't say, but I assume that after all your efforts you are still sitting there with a flashing power LED. That is what indicated the status of the thing, not the LAN LEDs.

Just another user.

Message 13 of 22

@LJSTN wrote:

My router also quit after the upgrade.

That could mean anything.

Internet died? LAN down? No wifi?

Tell us about the state of the LEDs on the front, or you aren't going to get much further

Just another user.

Message 14 of 22
LJSTN
Aspirant

In reply to my previous message, the reset button does not work and only the amber power light is blinking.  Everything worked before your ‘update’.

Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 15 of 22

@LJSTN wrote:

Everything worked before your ‘update’.

Actually, it is your update. Nothing to do with me.

I'm just one of the other users trying to help other users who sometimes find it hard to explain what they are doing.

If you want Netgear to help, you'll have to go down the official support route. But they will only ask for the same information.

Just another user.

Message 16 of 22
ejmm22
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@ejmm22 wrote:
Tftp did not work...

This tell us nothing. To work out where it went wrong – and if you were doing it properly –  you'll have to explain what you did and, more important, what messages you saw when using tftp.

@ejmm22 wrote:

Again, that quite isn't what the instructions were.

It may be that "removing power" isn't the right thing. Who knows?

Doing all this as specified is no guarantee that it will fix your hardware, but no one is going to be able to offer any further advice without more details.

@ejmm22 wrote:
....the activity light from the port where the pc is connected blinks all the time but the process fails...

That;s not what we are looking for. You don't say, but I assume that after all your efforts you are still sitting there with a flashing power LED. That is what indicated the status of the thing, not the LAN LEDs.

Your response indicates to me that perhaps you work for netgear? it read as mediocre as there trying to help with "the warranty has expired"

But anyway, let me be even more clear for you and people that do not have very good intentions and assume i don't know what

tftp did not work, that means that i did what the instructions told me to do. It said at the end that you are supposed to get a message saying it was succesful, please asume that if someone says it did not work the person did not get that message, after several tries, everytime you hit upgrade it tries three times, if was unsuccesful

On the removal of power, i said i tried that just like the instructions said, 30 senconds pressed, unplug while pressing reset, plug back in pressing reset and hold reset pressed for 30 more seconds, that did not work, need me to explain what i did?

in other forums people said to press reset for 5 seconds, that did not work, others said to press it 7 seconds and no more thatn 8, did not work

i then said that i tried pressing it down for 2 minutes and that did not work

Honestly, if you do not have enough details to work out from, quit giving support

If you are having a bad day today, take a break but take out on my.

I thank you if you were sincerely trying to help, if you are just trying to shift the blame to an user then go to h.....

in these past 2 days i have found Netgear to be a very irresponsible company, and it seems to be the culture in the company after reading your responses

Message 17 of 22
IrvSp
Master

I am not going to defend anyone or take sides here, but you must realize, no one can see what you did? Full disclosure of all steps sure does help understand what was going on. Also the results, 'did not help' or 'did not fix it' doesn't mean much. In this particular case 'it still did not boot' or 'the power LED still flashed' would have been a better descriptor of the results.

Netgear? They basically are not here, and if they are (yes, there are a few NG employees here) it seems more to review problems and look for trends. I suspect even if they do see some they do not jump in as they are not the phone support people.

Think your problem is either routine, caused by some setting you might have made, or possibly others have it and might have the 'fix', this forum is a good place to start. However if there is no solutions found here, the next step is to contact support. NG's is basically short though. If out of warranty, they expect payment to help you unfortunately.

Don't call out the people that try to assist you. They are just customers like you of NG. Skill levels vary as does the h/w they have. Some problems are not model specific, others basically are, or pertain to using a Browser or a Genie or UP app.

Unfortunately some problems are beyond solving here, either due to h/w malfunctions or beyond the abilities of those here to assist.

Message 18 of 22

Your response indicates to me that perhaps you work for netgear?

Your response suggests that you are not familiar with user-to-user forums.

Like most of the people here, I'm just another user just trying to helpful someone who doesn't seem to want to cooperate.

If you want official support, I suggest that you use the appropriate channels. Unfortunately, you may have to part with some money.

Just another user.

Message 19 of 22
ejmm22
Aspirant

@IrvSp wrote:

I am not going to defend anyone or take sides here, but you must realize, no one can see what you did? Full disclosure of all steps sure does help understand what was going on. Also the results, 'did not help' or 'did not fix it' doesn't mean much. In this particular case 'it still did not boot' or 'the power LED still flashed' would have been a better descriptor of the results.

Netgear? They basically are not here, and if they are (yes, there are a few NG employees here) it seems more to review problems and look for trends. I suspect even if they do see some they do not jump in as they are not the phone support people.

Think your problem is either routine, caused by some setting you might have made, or possibly others have it and might have the 'fix', this forum is a good place to start. However if there is no solutions found here, the next step is to contact support. NG's is basically short though. If out of warranty, they expect payment to help you unfortunately.

Don't call out the people that try to assist you. They are just customers like you of NG. Skill levels vary as does the h/w they have. Some problems are not model specific, others basically are, or pertain to using a Browser or a Genie or UP app.

Unfortunately some problems are beyond solving here, either due to h/w malfunctions or beyond the abilities of those here to assist.

I do understand and thank you for what you are saying but understand that if your instructions or suggestions say "count from 1 to 5" and i respond "Done", what do you think Done would mean?

Message 20 of 22
IrvSp
Master

@ejmm22 wrote:

I do understand and thank you for what you are saying but understand that if your instructions or suggestions say "count from 1 to 5" and i respond "Done", what do you think Done would mean?

Well, it isn't always that simple. Consider your original post:

=============

This morning i started an upgrade on my router's firmware because i got an email from netgear and now the router does not boot up, the reset button does not work
The only light on and is blinking is the power light, i connect it directly to a computer and it cannot be accessed

==============

What you know now, what did you really tell? It doesn't boot, you tried an unspecified rest with the button, and the power LED is blinking... I've never seen what Firmware you had nor what you were upgrading to either?

In the 4th message you said you held the reset button down for 3 minutes... claimed that didn't work... better info. Still what happened, what LED's flashed and did you power it off an on?

Message 7, you said the LED and PORT lights were blinking fast, good, but threw in you did the UPGRADE failed 3 times? I assumed you tried 'what' 3 times? No details if it was a different way or the same way?

Message 9 I'll assume confirmed the steps you were presented with did not work (assume the power LED did not turn white and flashed).

Message 11 you said you tried TFTP, but no message before that had any info on what happened or you did that? You mentioned the 'process failed', but that is meaningless... what did you do and when messages in TFTP did you see... failed doesn't help.

I am not complaining nor trying to asses blame here. What I'm trying to do is point out what info you supplied and how some here tried to help. With the answers you returned with it left questions of what was done and what happened. That is all, and I broke it down so you could see how 'we' think. I would imagine if Netgear support people were here the stream of answers would be the same. Remember, you are the only one who can see what you did and the action of the things tried returned, be it light or messages. Saying it wasn't fixed or didn't work is no a useful answer. I hope you understand that.

Even if you stated 'done' how would anyone know you followed the instruction explicitly? Do you see my point?

Do not feel bad, you are not alone posting like that. It is common unfortunately.

As for TFTP, I have not seen a lot of people with success with it to be honest. It seems tricky at best, and I hope I never have to try it. What I suggest next is call Netgear. If you only had the router for 90 days or less, no fee. After that, if 1 year or less, ask for an RMA, no fee. Otherwise, I'd suggest starting a NEW THREAD, something like "Post here if installing V1.0.9.28 Bricked your R7000" and describe what you do to try and solve it and ask others to post if they had the same problem. That 'should' get Netgear's attention. I'd even join in that it seemed to damage my R7000.

Message 21 of 22

@IrvSp wrote:

As for TFTP, I have not seen a lot of people with success with it to be honest. It seems tricky at best, and I hope I never have to try it.

That is very true. Fortunately, my experience with TFTP has been in beta tests for what is essentially a new operating system for routers.

In that case, the router was not "bricked" but I had to use TFTP to get the router to think it was something else so that I could flash it with the firmware.

This, and other messages here, told me that you have to be very careful in the commands that you issue to tftp, and you have to pay close attention to the responses to command prompts.

That is why I kept asking questions to try to get to the bottom of the "it did  not work" responses, and answer that tells us not much.

But if someone does not want to share these details that is their choice.

The good news is that we have seen quite a few replies here from people who have mended a router using tftp.

Just another user.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements