Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router loses internet connection every few hours. Clicking 'test connection' restores it

Rabold
Aspirant

Router loses internet connection every few hours. Clicking 'test connection' restores it

As the title says, we are losing our entire internet connection every few hours. I can still log into the modem and router when this occurs and once in the router I click on Internet -> (Internet Setup) and ckicl the 'Test' button, and after the progress bar fills up connection is restored.

The router is a brand new RAX70, but this was also happening on my X10 just a few months back. We thought that maybe we were hitting the device limit with the X10 (~35 devices, but 15 of those are IoT things), so I bought the RAX70. I hooked that up on Feb 20th and everything has been fine since, until two days ago when the same, exact behavior started with this one. Our modem is a NETGEAR Nighthawk CM1150V, and our ISP is Comcast/Xfinity. The modem seems to be fine as well, with nothing that stands out in the logs. Both devices have the latest firmware as of 3.29.21. I've called Comcast several times and they see nothing wrong in their end, however if I walk through their automated system it says something along the lines of, "based on the errors that we are seeing we'd like to reset your modem, press 1 to reset..." but when I talk to a human they've never explained why the automated system says that there are errors.

Anyhow, this is a super annoying situation since I'm still WFH and will be for at least the rest of this year.

Message 1 of 2
george_0693
Initiate

Re: Router loses internet connection every few hours. Clicking 'test connection' restores it

I have similar issue on this router. The 5G radio working fine, but the 2.4GHz is keep dropping the internet connection. I have upgraded to thge newest FW, but the issue still not fixed. Everytime, when the router re-started, the 2.4Ghz works for less than 24 hours, then the bandwidth dropped from 200Mbps+ down to less than 1Mbps. I have only 2 devices linked with 2.4GHz band but none of them can work well. if I drop 1 device, then the other device can get about 1Mbps bandwidth. 

In the same time, my 5GHz band can keep around 800Mbps with my 1.2Gbps gateway. 

It seems like the 2.4GHz radio did not working properly on this model. I saw a lot of users reported the silmilar issue in this router. I wish Netgear can fix this issue. 

The model I have is RAX70 — Nighthawk Tri-band AX8 8-Stream AX6600 WiFi 6 Router

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7