Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router/modem??

Chicky
Aspirant

Router/modem??

I was using an ASUS router plugged straight into my phone socket (the internet bit... you probably guessed I’m no tech expert). I’ve always plugged routers in like this and the work. I thought I’d upgrade to the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 as I suspect the ASUS router was faulty. I think I have now discovered this nighthawk thing needs a separate modem for it to work. Is this correct? Sounds like step backwards to me. Anyway, if it needs one I suppose I have to invest in one if it’s ever to work.
If I do need one, which one?
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Router/modem??

What asus router were you using before? 

Whats on the other end of that "phone socket"?

I'm curious if its actually a phone socket (rj11) versus a ethernet connectiong (rj45). 

Do you have dsl service or fibre? 

Message 2 of 5
Chicky
Aspirant

That BT box has the telephone wire from outside, then one to the phone, other to the router.
I think it’s fibre up to the junction box in the street, then regular wire to the house. It’s working quite well today with a download speed of about 28mbps. Can’t seem to upload photos here. It’s an ASUS DSL N16 “modem router”
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

the Asus is a modem/router combo device. The R7000 is just a router. the R7000 would need some type of dsl modem to connect. 

You could always put the asus in modem only/bridge mode. Use it just for the modem and connect the r7000 to it. 

Or even leave it as a modem/router and connect the r7000 to it in access point mode (disables its routing features)

both options would let you use the r7000 for its better wireless performance. 

Message 4 of 5

@Chicky wrote:
That BT box has the telephone wire from outside, then one to the phone, other to the router.
I think it’s fibre up to the junction box in the street, then regular wire to the house.

Your are describing BT's VDSL service. It is also known as fibre to the cabinet (FTTC), the green box up the road.

BT's horrible Homehub is a pain because it does not allow you to disable the router bit and put it into modem only mode.

I replaced mine first with a D6400 (modem router) and then with a DM200 (modem only).

I used the D6400 in modem only mode for a while, but it caused problems after power cuts. Hence the switch to the DM200.

The bad news is that Netgear, and most brands it seems, seem to have abandoned the market for DSL modem only devices. Maybe ISPs are leaning on them in the way that they have for cable modems.

If you can lay your hands on something like the DM200, that would be a good choice. The prices are getting silly. But you may be able to lay hands on a second hand one. I bought one from one of those "open box" merchants. In reality it looked new, with all the usual packing and protection.

As @plemans suggests you may be able to use your ASUS in modem only mode, feeding into the Netgear router.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7