Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router not assigning IP addresses after power outage

feobrien
Aspirant

Router not assigning IP addresses after power outage

My router does not  assign all IP addresses after power outage.  Some devices get an IP address, others do not. It appears to me that hardwired devices are typically fine, the problem seems to be mainly with Wi-Fi connected devices. I solve the problem by a hard restart (unplug) the router.  Sometimes this works on the first try, sometimes it takes two or three times before everything is back to normal. A soft restart of the router does not solve the problem.  I see some solutions here that say to do a factory reset of the router, but that means setting everything up again.  That seems like a very crude fix and hardly a solution to what appears to be a router firmware problem.

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

What router do you have? 

Firwmare on it? 

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

If you're having that frequent of power surges, I'd look into buying a cheap ups (backup power supply). Power surges are great at wrecking electronics and a ups is a cheap investment to protect your expensive equipment. 

Message 2 of 9
feobrien
Aspirant

Thanks. I have the R9000 running the latest firmware V1.0.5.24. I actually do have the router on a UPS.  Unfortunately the other night the power was out for 2 hours.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

it shouldn't take several days for devices to reconnect. Have you tried reinstalling the firmware or downgrading a version of the firmware? I know the r8000 had an issue for 1 firmware where it'd lose its settings after a reboot. 

Message 4 of 9
feobrien
Aspirant

Thanks again for some thoughts. I never wait several days.  If things are not all connected after about 15 - 20 minutes, I do a hard reboot of the router (unplug wait 20 seconds).  Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 hard reboots, then everything is fine. I don't lose my settings. Many devices simply don't get an IP address.  Ones that I can look at (like Amazon Show) will indicate waiting for an IP assignment. It's like the DHCP has simply stopped. I have not tried changing the firmware version. I do keep it updated to whatever the latest is.  Honestly I'm not a fan of such a procedure - first NETGEAR should do better, but more importantly if I downgrade and it works, then I'll never upgrade again and potentially miss important security updates. UGH.

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

What gateway are you using? 

the R9000 was/is a flagship router. Its phased out because wireless AD didn't ever catch on and wireless AX came out. But it is a solid router for the 2.4/5ghz. The firmware has been pretty solid to. I haven't seen a whole lot of issues on it in comparision to other routers. 

I'd potentially start with just reinstalilng the firmware on it. 

Message 6 of 9
feobrien
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk Cable Modem with Voice CM1150V for Xfinity.  Maybe this weekend I'll break down and try to downgrade the firmware. BTW, I've not done this before.  Is there a place on the Netgear webpage where I can find old versions?  Once again, thanks.

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

You can get current and old firmware at the support site. it also has manuals, install guides, and video guides. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r9000

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this here for your model router:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk
You might try Voxels 3rd party FW as well. 
Good Luck.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7