Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router not receptive to potential speeds

Brandonkras
Tutor

Router not receptive to potential speeds

In short, I am a gamer looking for optimal performances. I have 800mbps download speed through xfinity which was a recent upgrade. I have attempted all of the common fixes, restarts, factory reset, troubleshooting settings, etc. I am using the Netgear CM1200 for a modem.

I have connected my Xbox via Ethernet directly to my modem to test, which resulted in the performance I am looking for (794mbps down) and achieved the same results with my laptop. The problem I am running into is when I wire my modem to the router and the router to those other devices I am getting apx 250mbps (inconsistent) along with latency issues. There are no bandwidth issues and other connected devices interfering.

I read that the newer firmware could be the cause of the problem but reverting to previous versions was unsuccessful. I spent a decent amount on this router in the recent past and don’t wish to purchase something new unless necessary.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

-Brandon

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Router not receptive to potential speeds

Try version 1.0.4.28 of the firmware. Install using a browser based method of install. 

If you have to, leave the modem disconnected during setup and skip the internet setup. Then it won't auto-update. 

Then you can disable the auto-update and connect the modem. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
Brandonkras
Tutor

Edit- QoS disabled and with no traffic monitoring/ network monitoring services

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

1. what firmware versions did you try? 

2. after changing firmware, did you factory reset and test speeds directly off stock (without changing anything)?

3. the cm1200 has more than 1 port. Only use 1 and I'd recommend against wan port aggregation on the CM1200 with xfinity (and spectrum)

Message 3 of 7
Brandonkras
Tutor

Sorry for the delay.

#1 and #2: I went back to the earliest version it would accept and was going to progress towards the newest after testing them. I installed V 1.4.0.12 and it essentially rendered my router useless (routerlogin.net/IP not working & no signal). I resorted to a factory reset and when going through the automated nighthawk app set-up, it required me to update the firmware to complete. The only thing I haven't tried was using the installation disk for the factory set-up to see if that would let me use the firmware it came with. I am still willing to mess around with firmwares as it could have just been a bad install (just a guess). 

#3 I will only use one port on my modem as I have already learned that lesson lol. Was just doing it to see if the speeds would be different.

Thanks,

Brandon

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

Try version 1.0.4.28 of the firmware. Install using a browser based method of install. 

If you have to, leave the modem disconnected during setup and skip the internet setup. Then it won't auto-update. 

Then you can disable the auto-update and connect the modem. 

Message 5 of 7
Brandonkras
Tutor

You sir, are amazing! Back in business!!!

I will likely make a video on this to add to the channel to help others experiencing the same (obviously giving credit where credit is due). Can’t thank you enough

-Brandon
Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Glad it worked for you!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation