Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router or Mesh Wi-Fi?

Don33
Aspirant

Router or Mesh Wi-Fi?

HI...currently have a very old Netgear Router and looking at replacing it with a new one.  With these devices becoming more technologically advanced, as well as my years are creeping up on me, I am having an issue in deciding what type of device to get.  

Our home is approximately 1,000 sq foot with a full basement and an office in the basement.   We have about 9 devices that would be hooked up to this device, either via ethernet of wirelessly.   Our home is in a bad area for cell coverage, so without wi-fi, I really can't do much set-up on the smart phone...very poor signal.  So between the living room (where this would be placed) and the bedroom is about 40 feet with a few typical walls in between, as well as directly below the living room is the office...so with that being said, there is some blockage according to what Netgear is saying to avoid.  Our old router (n600) does provide decent coverage, but with additional devices hooked up to it, sometimes the computer/cellphones etc. do lag.  I'm thinking an new and more powerful router device would help with that. 

So...with all of that being said, would a typical router with the two or three antennas (Nighthawk or other style from Netgear) be sufficient, or should I go with an Orbi system with one satellite unit?  We are looking to spend in the $100-$150 or so range and would like to hear any comments that you might have.

I appreciate your help and reading through this.  Thank you.

Model: AC1450|802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit Smart WiFi router
Message 1 of 3

Re: Router or Mesh Wi-Fi?

Try plugging your needs into the filters on the product pages:

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

and

Orbi: Whole Home WiFi System for Better WiFi Everywhere | NETGEAR

Then check back here for reports on the things you are considering, but remember that people turn up in this community with problems, not compliments. So look at reviews on Amazon, for example.

By the way, it probably doesn't matter but N600 tells us nothing about the old device. It just describes the wifi standard it uses. Netgear made a bunch of N600 kit.

Message 2 of 3
Don33
Aspirant

Re: Router or Mesh Wi-Fi?

michaelkenwood...thank you for very much for your comment, I will check that out..

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7