Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router recycling

IvorJohn
Follower

Router recycling

Does anyone know of any ways to reuse or repurpose a functioning netgear router? Thanks!

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 7
microchip8
Master

Depends on what you want to do and which router model you have. If it's a pure router, you can turn it into an Access Point to extend coverage

Message 2 of 7

@IvorJohn wrote:

Does anyone know of any ways to reuse or repurpose a functioning netgear router? Thanks!

The C7000 listed in your footer is a cable modem/router. This means that, unlike most DSL modem/routers, it is not easily reused as an wireless access point or as a standalone router, unlike. You may be able to do it, but the device doesn't come with simple instructions in the manual.

The first thing to do is this:

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 3 of 7
wcalifas
Prodigy

you could use it as an access point, I used my old netgear dsl/router as an access point. Mine is a little older so don't know if converting it to an access point is different than mine. Of course you need to disable the dhcp part of it.

Message 4 of 7
tomasz_ng
Guide

You can also just give it away to someone who needs one. No need to clutter your home. I use Freegle to advertise when I have something to give away for free, and there's almost always someone who does within a day or two.

Message 5 of 7

@wcalifas wrote:

you could use it as an access point, I used my old netgear dsl/router as an access point.

DSL modem/routers are designed for that, with instructions in the manuals Use the Modem Router as a WiFi Access Point.

Cable modem/routers don't have that advantage. You have to resort to a different approach.

Message 6 of 7
antinode
Guru

> Does anyone know of any ways to reuse or repurpose a functioning
> netgear router? [...]

As what?

> Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router

Is that the model?

> [...] You have to resort to a different approach.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/2025635

I'm sure that he's aware of that method.  Why he didn't refer you to
it is unclear.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7