Router resets itself when wired connection is active.

ac710
Aspirant

Router resets itself when wired connection is active.

Router resets itself only when the wired connection is active, if my PC is off or not connected the router will stay on and connected to all wifi devices. There are no other wired devices plugged in. I've had this pc wired since I built it, about 2-3 months ago and only recently in the last 2 weeks have I had problems. If getting a wireless adapter for my pc will fix it I'll just do that but I would like the option of hardwiring if I ever absolutely need to. Any help is appreciated, Thank You.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 8
IrvSp
Master

Re: Router resets itself when wired connection is active.

Not sure what that picture really shows? Those first two LEDs on the left being Orange are bad news. Router is NOT fully booted and the Internet is not coming in? The white LED for a port shows a 1GB cable connection to that port.

Was this picture taken during a reboot? If so, OK. but if not and that is a stable state, you have some corrupted f/w. So when was the photo taken?

In any event, I'd swap that cable and see if it makes a difference. Could move to another router port as well, you could have a bad port.

Did you have a voltage surge or power drop recently? That could also cause some damage.

Message 2 of 8
ac710
Aspirant

The picture was taken during a reboot. When its stable and working all lights are white but at random intervals it fully shuts off the entire router and restarts. I have also tried moving it to different ports which didnt do anything. I also got a wireless adapter to connect to the router wirelessly and it kept doing the same thing but more often actually. Couldnt stay connected for more than a minute or 2. I updated the firmware and the driver on my pc for the LAN port.

Message 3 of 8
ac710
Aspirant

I havent tried a new cord but the fact it still does it over WiFi leads me to believe it is not the cord or the port. Also my network seems to work perfectly fine when my PC is off, I was out of town for 2 days and my girlfriend said the internet didnt go out once, and she works from home so she is generally online most of the day. She uses a macbook over wifi. There was a power outage recently but I cant remember if it was before or after the problems started, but the modem is plugged into the same outlet and its fine but that is definitely a possibility I did not think of. Is there any way to check??

Message 4 of 8
IrvSp
Master

This more seems to be related to a load on the router than one specific LAN connection causing the problem? That could just be a coincidence it happens with your PC? LAN wireless connections would be a constant I am thinking, but a wired one could be during time of use? Does NOT explain why when connecting the PC wireless it goes down as well?

I'm wondering if it is a 'special' useage the PC does? Like VPN for instance? Using specific ports?

I guess if it rebooted the second you plugged the Ethernet cable in and it rebooted one might be able to say for sure the PC is causing it. Wireless couldn't though? It would have to be a router function that is unique to the PC. Do you know exactly what is happening when the router reboots?

Do you have a USB drive connected to the router? I Printer maybe?

If you turn off Wifi  (use the button on top) does the PC wired still cause it to reboot? If it does, that would point more clearly to something the PC is doing is causing this? If it doesn't, then re-enable Wifi, but only add one device at a time, try using the PC until you figure out the number of LAN devices it could handle with the PC?

Other possibility, the Power Supply could be damaged and can't supply enough 'juice' so the router goes and reboots?

Really odd though?

Message 5 of 8
ac710
Aspirant

After reading some other posts on the forum I have downgraded my firmware to an older version that they had success with. V1.0.2.32. They had the same router and similar problems and that version of the firmware seemed to fix their issues. Ive been using it for about an hour now with no issues but thats normal, it tends to reset a few times a day but be fine for hours in between. I will update if the problems keep occuring or not.

Message 6 of 8
ac710
Aspirant

that did not work, i'm just going to throw this thing away and buy a new one. i've wasted enough time and frustration on this thing. now time to research what brand i should buy...

Message 7 of 8
myersw
Master

@ac710 wrote:

that did not work, i'm just going to throw this thing away and buy a new one. i've wasted enough time and frustration on this thing. now time to research what brand i should buy...

Understand the move on. I did that as well. Just be very careful what you purchase. Do research as all consumer grade routers have issues. Look at their forums, if there is one. Asus seems to have forgotten that part of service, at least that was the case the last time I checked. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E