Router saying firmware most current despite newer version I see on site

mercat68
Aspirant

Router saying firmware most current despite newer version I see on site

Hi. Just purchased a Nighthawk X4S AC2600, which shows the firmware version 1.0.2.36 in the dashboard. When I check for firmware updates from the administration menu, it reports that the installed version is the most current. But on NETGEAR's downloads page for this router, there's a 1.0.2.38 version available. Is the router just not reporting the correct status of available firmware updates or is it indicating that I shouldn't upgrade for some reason? Or, to ask a different way, should I download and install the newer version despite what the router says? Thanks.

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: Router saying firmware most current despite newer version I see on site

It can take time for new firmware to roll out to the automated update process.

There is nothing to pervent you from doing a manual update.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 5
mercat68
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I realize there's nothing stopping me from doing the update manually. I was just asking whether I should do the update manually if the router itself doesn't recognize the available update. But good info on the automatiion delay - I'll give it a few more days.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5

If you look at the release notes for the latest firmware:

R7800 Firmware Version 1.0.2.38 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You will see that they are dated 11/24/2017. When you translate that into a sensible date format it means 24/11/2017, which is 24 November 2017, last Friday. That sort of confirms the theory that the support site is ahead of the automated system.

Many hardware aficionados, some might call them nerds, prefer doing manual updates because it puts them in control of the process. They don't have to rely on the hardware to simultaneously download and install the firmware.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 5
mercat68
Aspirant

Thanks, appreciate the reply.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation