LoganSandman74
Aspirant

Router says it has internet, but is running a lot slower than it should be.

So, my old Linksys router gave up the ghost Tuesday night and stopped working. I went and bought a Netgear router the next day and went to set it up, it would say that it was connected to the internet, but would have no internet access. So, after two long support calls and changing stuff around with IP addresses and all that and using MAC spoofing, it finally started working. The problem is, is that it is running like it has no internet even though it does have connection and shows that it has internet access. Could this be because of the MAC spoofing and the internet not taking a liking to it or is there an IP address conflict there or what? Cause I put the router on my internet account to give it access, but it's still not getting good speeds or something. Would appreciate any help that is given
Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

Re: Router says it has internet, but is running a lot slower than it should be.

1. Which router did you buy? 

2. What firmware is on that router?

3. What gateway/modem is it connected to? 

4. How are you speedtesting? 

CM2000-> RAX200-> GS716v2-> EX8000
Message 2 of 13
LoganSandman74
Aspirant

1. The router is the AC1750 R6400v2
2. Firmware is V1.0.4.98_10.0.71, which is apparently the current firmware for this model.
3. The gateway I am using is an internet port plug in in my wall. It's a straight wired connection into the wall. I do not have a modem since the internet is run through the people I lease my apartment from
4. I've tested speeds using the nighthawk app, which says It's getting nothing, a connection test using my TV, a connection test using my gaming console, and the Google speed test when you search internet speed test into Google.
Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

Did you check with the apartment complex on how they're supplying internet to those ports? And if it requires certain settings to work on their network? 

If there's a router on the other end of the line, you could try simply putting the router in access point mode. (write down the settings that do work)

Message 4 of 13
LoganSandman74
Aspirant

So, we called the internet people yesterday and that said that they weren't having any problems. I tried bypassing the router all together and I put an ethernet cable into my laptop from the wall and it gets internet that works. For me to access internet, I have to put the device on my account with my apartment people, which I did yesterday. I registered it with the same MAC address at the address that worked last night after mac spoofing.
I will try the access point mode. The settings it has for internet are dynamic IP address from internet. DNS server is get automatically, and the router MAC address is the one we used for MAC spoofing last night.
Message 5 of 13
LoganSandman74
Aspirant

I tried enabling AP mode under the Wireless AP tab in Netgear genie but now, I am unable to get to the netgear router page to look at the settings and everything because it says it has no internet access. Did I do something wrong?
Message 6 of 13
plemans
Guru

No you didn't do anything wrong. In AP mode, the router doesn't handle any dhcp assignments. It just passes it along to what router/device is controlling it. So the routerlogin doesn't work. You'd need the router's ip address that gets assigned to it from whatever your apartment building is using.

Are you able to hardwire into the router and have internet? 

If not, you can factory reset it (since you don't know the ip address to access the router) 

Message 7 of 13
LoganSandman74
Aspirant

Oooh, okay, I understand. And so, I can run a cable from my laptop to the wall and get internet, but if i hardwire into the router, I don't have internet.
I have reset it not too long ago and am trying to configure it to the internet. Do you recommend having genie help or just configuring it myself?
Message 8 of 13
plemans
Guru

If its not working? Try both. 

Sometimes the installation genie is a benefit and sometimes not. 

Its worth a shot. 

Message 9 of 13
LoganSandman74
Aspirant

So, I tried using genie and it got me to where it was gonna use the MAC address of the last router, so MAC spoofing, and it still can't connect to the internet. I'm going to try a different MAC address and see if it works. If not, I'll turn it off and back on and restart the process so that I can do the configure it myself option.
Message 10 of 13
LoganSandman74
Aspirant

So, I got back into the admin page and have access to the router. The router says that it has good internet, but everything that I try to hook up to the router says that there is not internet access still.
Message 11 of 13
plemans
Guru

If the router is saying it has access to the internet, it means its connecting back to your apartment's setup. 

Maybe they have the wrong mac registered or maybe it needs to be changed. 

Message 12 of 13
LoganSandman74
Aspirant

Yeah, that's true, maybe it's on the internet provider's end and not the router. Or, maybe, a mix of both. I'll call the internet provider and see what they say. I appreciate all the help you've given me so far. Thank you so much.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements