Re: Router settings

Leatha
Aspirant

Router settings

Hello, In the evening my speed has been dropping around 8:30 to 10:30 (to 10, 25, 30 then back down).  During the day it is fine, with the new router I am getting 120 to 130.  I have had to techs out, that was worthless.  When I finally got a hold of someone who knew what I was talking about she suggested I set up a 'watchlist' on the router to see what was coming from the modem at those times.  I have connected via laptop and confirmed the dropped speeds in the evening.  My question is, how do I set up this 'watchlist'?  I can see the statistics running, but no where to set up a specific time to watch.  Thank you ahead of time!

Message 1 of 6
IrvSp
Master

No router model listed, migth help.

I suspect that a log should be enabled? Call then back and ask what they mean? Other than logging, I wouldn't think the  router has ANY thing else that would both log and timestamp what is happening.

Confusing though? You mentioned this, "In the evening my speed has been dropping around 8:30 to 10:30 (to 10, 25, 30 then back down). During the day it is fine, with the new router I am getting 120 to 130."? Was this with the OLD unmentioned router or the new one, or are you mixing both?

Usually when a specific time something happens it is either severe interference or another device came on-line and saturating the signal. You never mentioned if this is wireless or wired either.

More details and data sure would help here.

Message 2 of 6
Leatha
Aspirant

Model R7000P.  Sorry, I'm just pretty ticked over the situation.  I bought this router, thinking the old one was the problem.  It was happenening with it too.  It was a Zytel1100.  So this is happening with the new one also.  It is connected to the modem (fiber optic connection).  I check the speed wireless, then via ethernet to the modem just to make sure it is fairly close when it drops. For 3-4 evenings I checked it every 30 min for 2 hours. 

I am pretty sure it is in the ISP lines, but, finding someone that understands what you are talking about is another thing when you call  Smiley Happy.  Support gave me a number to call when it starts, so they can look, but, had also asked for a log from me.

For some reason, I can not connect directly to the modem.  Usage is wireless.  I get the high speeds all day long on everything.  

Message 3 of 6
IrvSp
Master

Modem's have logs too. In some cases, only the ISP can see those. If you know the modem make and model, Google it for login credentials... and if you can get in, one option would be the log.

@Leatha wrote:

It is connected to the modem (fiber optic connection).  I check the speed wireless, then via ethernet to the modem just to make sure it is fairly close when it drops. For 3-4 evenings I checked it every 30 min for 2 hours. 

Not sure what you mean? When the speed drops you then connect to the modem via a wired device and that confirms the speed drop? If so, CALL the ISP at that time, it is something they have to figure out.

@Leatha wrote:

For some reason, I can not connect directly to the modem.  Usage is wireless.  I get the high speeds all day long on everything.  

But you said above you could connect to the modem? Do you mean LOG INTO it? Like I said, either Google the modem make and model for login credentials otherwise call the ISP when it happens?

Message 4 of 6
myersw
Master

Sounds like cable company does not have the bandwidth in the evening to handle the users, doing streaming or whatever. What I would do when it is show is connect a PC to the modem and see if testing shows still slow. If so not a fault of the router, but a fault of your ISP not giving you what you are paying for. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 5 of 6
Leatha
Aspirant

That is what I am thinking!  

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos