Router slows to a crawl unless Factory Reset

RedonkaBert
Tutor

Router slows to a crawl unless Factory Reset

Spent a good chunk of time on with Phone support before Netgear stop providing that service and wanted $89 to have them continue and when I didn't want to pay for it I was sent here. 

So... I have an R7000 Nighthawk AC 1900 and it works great... For about 20 hours... Then my download speeds drop from 220MB+ Down to about 1MB- Down in an instant and stays there. Meanwhile, my Upload speed remain at about 30MB to 35MB. I checked for IP Conflicts, verified the MTU packet size and all of the "normal troubleshooting steps" without any luck. 

Power off the Router and the Modem... Wait for Modem to come back up, power on the Router... wait... wait... wait... and connects... Grabs a fresh IP from ISP... and still getting 1MB Down... 

Again, same thing... Power off the Router and the Modem...  Wait for Modem to come back up, power on the Router... wait... wait... wait... and connects... Grabs a fresh IP from ISP... and again still getting 1MB Down... 

Again... and again and again... 

Nothing... 

Grab a paperclip, hold the reset button in for 5 seconds until the lights flash... Reconfig the Router from the ground up... Set the MTU packet size, reconfig the wireless, etc... 

BAM! It's working great... for about another 20 hours or so... 

Since this began I've had two Firmware updates and after installing both of them it made zero difference.

I'm leaning towards this being a hardware issue at this point, but I'm open to suggestions. 

Anyone, seen this before or have any ideas?

Thanks!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
RedonkaBert
Tutor

Re: Router slows to a crawl unless Factory Reset

24 Hours Later and no response.

Why was I told to come here?

Message 2 of 13
wcalifas831
Prodigy

Did you check to see if there is more current firmware for your router? If so update and see if it that helps out, remember to hard reset it after updating it.

Message 3 of 13
RedonkaBert
Tutor

Thanks for responding wcalifas831!

Actually since this issue began there have been 2 seperate firmware updates. And there have been mulitple complete powerdowns after each install. 

Neither time did this resolve the issue. 

Message 4 of 13
TheEther
Guru

You need to do more debugging.  

• Have you ruled out the possibility that a device is really using the bandwidth?  

The router has a Show Statistics page on the Advanced menu that will show you cumulative traffic rates through each interface since the counters were last reset.  You should reset the counters while the problem is happening to get statistics that reflect what's going on at the moment.  The Internet/WAN port will be particularly interesting to look at.  Note: The rates are in bytes per second, whereas Internet speeds are typically measured in Megabits per second.  You'll have to multiply by 8 and divide by 1048576 to convert the first to the second.

You can also look at network statistics on each device that is capable of reporting them (e.g. Windows, Mac, many smartphones).

• Have you turned on any advanced features on the router, like QoS, traffic metering, MAC address filtering, keyword filtering, block services or really anything that isn't enabled by default?  Try disabling all of them (or do a factory reset and leave these features off), then monitor speeds.  If the problem goes away, then turn each feature on one by one until the problem recurs.  It may take several days for you to narrow down the problem.

• A good way to rule in or out the router is to remove the router and connect a computer directly to the modem.  Then monitor speeds for the same amount of time it took for the problem to occur.  If the problem occurs, then it has nothing to do with the router and you should call your ISP.
Message 5 of 13
RedonkaBert
Tutor

Thanks for the advice TheEther!

At one point I did use a few of the port forwarding features but have since removed that and disabled a lot of the other features as well (QoS, etc.) and didn't reenable them after the factory resets. 

I'll look into the Show Statistics page on the Advanced Menu the next time this happens and I'll pass what I find along to this forum page. 

I did work with my ISP when this had first happened since I assumed it was them and not my router, but when I made a direct connection to my Modem using my PC and ran a speedtest it was hitting over 220MB at the time. I also, borrowed my co-workers spare router (older cisco- cant recall the model number off hand) and it ran without any issues for 4 days straight.  But less than 24 hours after I plug my Nighthawk back in, I ended up with the same issue of my Download Speeds dropping down to nearly nothing again. 

Also, I'd like to note that this issue isn't only on the WiFi for my Nighthawk.. I have a Gaming PC connected by CAT5 as well and it too has the same networking issue with this router. 

Message 6 of 13
albumman
Aspirant

A shot in the dark, but is your ISP time-warner by any chance?

Scott

Message 7 of 13
OKC-Spooky
Aspirant

I am having a similar issue.  Just started a few days ago.  Half the time it will not even allow me to connect to the router and when I do get to connect it is incredibly slow.  So slow in fact that I can not stream video from my desk Mac to my Apple TV now, apparently.  This just happened and is why I came to the forums.  Your last post was a few days ago did you find a fix?? 

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 8 of 13
RedonkaBert
Tutor

Hi Scott and Spooky...
Scott- Sorry to report but it's not an ISP issue...
My ISP (Mediacom)sent a tech to my home to verify my line after they checked everything they could remotely. Luckily, if failed why the tech was here and he checked everything leading up to the router and everything was fine.

I continue to have to do restarts and factory resets nearly everyday and I'm sick of it.

I've worked for over 20 years in ITS. I'm CompTIA A+ & Net+ certified. I have my CCNA and my MSDBA including infrastructure certification. I can configure a home based router in my sleep.

Digging in the logs and such on this device shows no collisions or anything out of the ordinary.

Honestly, it acts like a hardware issue.

The best and only solution that I found is using the crap router I picked up at Walmart. It's slower, but I don't need to babysit it.

Message 9 of 13
RedonkaBert
Tutor

Another week and still no response from NetGear and no solution has been found for the issues that I'm having with this device. 

Can I please have this faulty device swapped out?!

What exactly do you need for me to provide to you to prove that this is happening???

I'm begining to regret ever buying this thing!

Message 10 of 13
JamesGL
Master

Hi RedonkaBert,

Only support team can provide you a replacement with your unit.

Which of the firmwares did you work for your prior to upgrading and encountered the issue?

Message 11 of 13
JamesGL
Master

Hi RedonkaBert,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 12 of 13
Double_D
Aspirant

Thanks RedonkaBert, i have the exact issue and have been following you.

If U got/get anywhere with this i would really apreciate knowing what to do.

My router worked amazing for a year or two and I really like it.

Thanks a lot, 

Double_D

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E