Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router speed

pault963
Tutor

Router speed

My internet speed through Spectrum is 100 Mbps. I have a brand new modem from Spectrum. My wifi router is a R7000P Nighthawk AC2300. My question is when I plug the Cat6 cable directly into the modem, my speeds are between 110-120 Mbps and when I plug the Cat6 cable into the router my speeds average between 18-20 Mbps. I run everything in my house wifi except my desktop computer which iI use a Cat6 cable. Thanks, pault963

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
pault963
Tutor

Reset the router to factory settings. Rebooted everything and speeds are running 117Mbps plus.

Thanks for all the help.  Paul..............

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 13

All Replies

Greetings,

R7000P. 

What FW version are you running?

Is this the shipping FW or was it upgraded?  If it was upgraded, how was it done, manually or automatically?

Do you have QoS, Traffic Meter or Smart Connect enabled?

Please provide answers to the above questions, then reset the router to default settings and retest speed.  

Message 2 of 13

Greetings @pault963

ok, read your PM's.  Your on 1.3.1.44 and had all 3 options I mentioned enabled. 

If you subscibe to speed above 75MBits and do not have people in the home consuming massive amount of bandwidth, QoS is not needed.

Traffic Meter, great feature, used it for years to monitor usage/consumption in our household.  Well, it became broken in newer FW, and has remained so last I checked.  It affects multiple models and spans many FW's. 

Smart Connect - Not so smart, works more like a load balancer, and may put faster "more capable" devices on a slower bandwidth connection.  I suggest disabling and using a separate SSID for each broadcast.  You can also tune your network by selecting a channel other than auto.  See my reply here for more info on channel separation and performance. 

Hope this helps.  Let us know how things go.  If you continue to have issues we might advise reflashing th routers FW using manual update instead of automatic or via the Genie App, both of which have been known to cause issues or undesired.behavior.

Message 3 of 13
antinode
Guru

> [...] I have a brand new modem from Spectrum. [...]

Not a very detailed description of anything.  Does it have a maker
and model number?

> [...] when I plug the Cat6 cable directly into the modem, [...]

What's at the other end of "the Cat6 cable"?

Message 4 of 13

@pault963 wrote:

My internet speed through Spectrum is 100 Mbps. I have a brand new modem from Spectrum.

As well as the sound advice from @shadowsports, it might be worth resetting the R7000P so that it can get acquainted with the new modem.

It doesn't always work when you swap out one modem for another. The router still remembers various settings that it picked up when it worked with the original modem.

And when you do change the hardware, it is important to do things in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

Message 5 of 13
pault963
Tutor

Reset the router to factory settings. Rebooted everything and speeds are running 117Mbps plus.

Thanks for all the help.  Paul..............

Message 6 of 13
pault963
Tutor

Worked perfectly. Speeds are over 115Mbps. Thanks for the help. Pault963.....

Message 7 of 13

Apologies for intruding on someone else's question, but this bit intrigued me.

@shadowsports wrote:

If you subscibe to speed above 75MBits and do not have people in the home consuming massive amount of bandwidth, QoS is not needed.

The "turn off QoS" advice first kicked in for Gbps Internet, then nudged down to 500 Mbps and 300 Mbps. (I see reports that this is now Netgear's recommendation.) I don't recall seeing see it for 75 Mbps before.

Is there an "official" line on this?

I guess the question is what amounts to "massive amount of bandwidth"? Gaming is probably the main culprit here.

Message 8 of 13
pault963
Tutor

Just funny how others solved my problem with the information that I supplied and you needed more information and had no answers. Sorry you had no solutions. Well thanks anyway.

Message 9 of 13
antinode
Guru

> Just funny how others solved my problem with the information that I
> supplied and you needed more information and had no answers. [...]

Assuming that that was addressed to me, ...

When your answer to every question is to reset the settings, then
very little information is needed.  I forget -- Was I the only one who
asked you questions?

Does "the information that I supplied" include "your PM's"?  I might
not have read all of those.

> [...] Sorry you had no solutions. Well thanks anyway.

I'm sorry that your problem report contained so little useful
information, and that some basic questions were too difficult for you to
answer.

Message 10 of 13
IrvSp
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

Apologies for intruding on someone else's question, but this bit intrigued me.

@shadowsports wrote:

The "turn off QoS" advice first kicked in for Gbps Internet, then nudged down to 500 Mbps and 300 Mbps. (I see reports that this is now Netgear's recommendation.) I don't recall seeing see it for 75 Mbps before.

Is there an "official" line on this?

I guess the question is what amounts to "massive amount of bandwidth"? Gaming is probably the main culprit here.

There IS a NG KB article, https://kb.netgear.com/972/How-QoS-improves-performance but it isn't new. Good supposedly for AC Routers, but it is sort of a mix of things, including switches. One interesting statement:

----------------

A key to optimizing networks is to fix any severe bottlenecks. When the bottleneck is a router or a switch, QoS is likely to help. Here are guidelines to decide whether QoS might be useful:

• The speed of the Internet is lower than LAN speeds a typical user can achieve. Therefore, if the worst bottleneck is your Internet connection — outside of your equipment — QoS will not help it.

------------------

If that is the determining factor, then almost every 1GB or lower ISP speed, assuming one has a wired 1Gbs cable connection and/or an AC wireless 866Mbps  connection, QoS is never needed.

The second item is also interesting:

==================

Bandwidth and traffic going from your LAN to the Internet is usually less than amount coming to your LAN. ISPs give less outgoing bandwidth intentionally, for economy, since most users upload less than they download from the Internet. QoS on routers, therefore, is most useful for traffic when outgoing from your LAN. For incoming traffic, any useful QoS has probably already been applied by your ISP.

==================

2 things it claims, incoming your ISP has already taken cares of priority? Also for outgoing, QoS is useful?

Huh, I have a hard time getting my head around that. Net Neutrality and all that would seems the ISP doesn't do any 'hinderence' or 'acceleration'? Outgoing? Hmm, might understand that, especially not everyone has a high-speed out. Many have 10% or less of the download speed. However, most probably don't do heavy uploads or run servers to the WAN.

One place it would help is for VIOP, those that have phone service via the Internet. I've got that, my upload speed is 12Mbps max., and no QoS on. Never had a phone problem, even when we've got a lot of devices running. However, that is clearly measured and handled within my MODEM, not the Router. Possible in that case the Modem has a built-in QoS function I can not change? If so, cable modem/router combo's might be a different case and need QoS enabled no matter what? I do use things like Skype and TeamViewer with high bandwidth usage and never had a problem without QoS? Skype did sometimes, but basically it was isolated to individual users at the other end. A majority of time there was no lag or sound problems.

If you Google when to use QoS I really can't find anything definitive recently. Many links are quite old, and apply to speeds generally available then (when it would be needed). There are 'papers' but they generally apply to corporate systems and how to identify RTP packets and handle those.

I don't know of any official limit when it wouldn't be needed?

Message 11 of 13

75 Megabits is a somewhat arbitrary number I referenced based on numerous blogs and posts found on the web.  Also based of my own experience.  All the information provided here by myself and others is sound.  There's no official minimum I am aware of that stipulates when QoS should or shouldn't be used.   Several possible factors both incoming and outgoing that can affect overall performance as @IrvSp points out. 

While I do receive occasional PM's, I normally encourage people to post there questions in threads as this allows all of us to help.  Its also best for others who may be searching for solutions to a similar problem.

Message 12 of 13

@shadowsports wrote:

While I do receive occasional PM's, I normally encourage people to post there questions in threads as this allows all of us to help.  Its also best for others who may be searching for solutions to a similar problem.

I never deal with issues through private messages. I have a standard reply to PMs. I always tell people to post in the open forum.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7