Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router status shows DIsconnected but all clients can access internet

jibjubja
Aspirant

Router status shows DIsconnected but all clients can access internet

My router R9000 Firmware V1.0.5.36. It keeps showing Disconnected for Internet (See pic). But any clients connected WIFI to this router can access internet without any issues.  Firmware checking is fine. A switch on the same subnet can check its firmware,too.  I have a firewall in front of this device. So I suspect it might block this router to internet but don't know which port/URL is required. Any helps, please?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router status shows DIsconnected but all clients can access internet

What does the status show if you temporarily remove this firewall device infront of the router and just connect the router to the ISP modem/ONT directly...?

Message 2 of 8
jibjubja
Aspirant

Remove firewall help with the connection. My router shows green status. Don't know which port/URL destination of this router model pointing to.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Your Firewall seems to be interferring with reading status fully thru the Firewall out to the ISP modem/ONT. That status dosn't rely on a port or url, I believe it's a handshaking item thats done between routers to routers and routers to modems. 

You might ask the Mfr of this device for help and information regarding it. I presume they should know what is happening to cause that...Could be a minor tweek on the firewall to get the router to report correctly. 

Message 4 of 8
jibjubja
Aspirant

Wow. This morning around 11 a.m., all of sudden, my netgear router can connect internet after it didn't for weeks. Last night, I made some changes on my network topology. I wonder that might be the issue, but why didn't it connect last night. So I think Netgear might fix something on their side.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you remove the firewall from the mix to see if the router continues to experience problems or not? 

Would need to verify ISP modem to NG router to check to see if problem continues or not to help verify if this is a NG problem or not. If you made changes to your network, then possible you did something to effect the problem. 

Message 6 of 8
jibjubja
Aspirant

I found the issue. Once I allowed ICMP on my firewall, it can connect internet. But wonder where is it destination?

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a wireshark capture with ICMP disabled and then enabled. Should be able to see whats happening...

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7