Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router stops devices from connecting to the router

havocentral
Aspirant

Router stops devices from connecting to the router

The router works fine for devices that stay connected

But if something disconnects from the router, the touer wont allow it to connect back

Like my phone, when I leave home and come back it cant reconnect without restarting the router

Trying to connect it asks for a password and if i type it in, it says unable to connect to network

same if i restart my computer, which is hardwired, or restart my printer. and for my tv when i turn it on, it cannot connect.

It is quite frustration becuase without my phone I cannot even login to the router becuase you need that app instead of a web browser like every other router i have owned. So there is no way to troubleshoot if the phone cant connect outside unplugging the router.

Message 1 of 6

Re: Router stops devices from connecting to the router

@havocentral wrote:

The router works fine for devices that stay connected

And that router is?

@havocentral wrote:

But if something disconnects from the router, the touer wont allow it to connect back

Perhaps it isn't the anonymous router that refuses the connection, but the wifi device that fails to connect.

@havocentral wrote:

Trying to connect it asks for a password and if i type it in, it says unable to connect to network

same if i restart my computer, which is hardwired, or restart my printer. and for my tv when i turn it on, it cannot connect.

What are the exact messages that you see when this happens?

What firmware version do you have on the router?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Apologies for all the questions. But you can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

Message 2 of 6
havocentral
Aspirant

It is an r6700v3. Sorry about that, i put this in the model section but i guess i typed it wrong

I dont think it is the device, becuase it is my printer, tv, cellphone, and laptop over wifi and my PC over ethernet.

For a day or so it is fine, but we have frequent power flickers, so the router is hooked up to a ups, but the printer and tv will lose power and wont be able to reconnect. same if i come home after work with my phone.

Sometimes the cellphone will say couldnt authticate connection. 

FM: v1.0.4.102 says there is an update available, but i have to wait until tomorrow to do that. There is a browser interface?

With the wired PC, it will connect with no internet or say it is connected to an unknown device.

The phones, tv, and laptop will ask for me to reenter the password, then fail to connect. I will have to wait for it to happen again to get the excact message.

It is run off the ip provided zhone router/modem. I was told i cant connect the nighthawk directly to the IP. I am not sure that modem is the issue though, my cellphone extender is hardwired to it and never has issues.

There havent been any issues until recently, convieniently enough right after my free tech support ends. So I am not sure if there is a hardware or software issue going on right now

Thanks for the help!!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6

@havocentral wrote:

It is run off the ip provided zhone router/modem.

Does this router/modem have a model number? Does IP mean ISP? (IP and ISP are different animals.)

@havocentral wrote:

I was told i cant connect the nighthawk directly to the IP.

Who told you that and what explanation did they give?

Does "directly to the IP" mean directly to the ISP?

Never trust what an ISP says!  If you are running one router after another, that is highly likely to cause problems.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

and

How to fix issues with Double NAT | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@havocentral wrote:

I am not sure that modem is the issue though, my cellphone extender is hardwired to it and never has issues.

Again, I don't now what that means.  What is this cellphone extender that has suddenly made an appearance?

The symptoms you describe are classic "two routers" issues.

Message 4 of 6
havocentral
Aspirant

Yes, ISP. They said only their modem can connect to thier network. It is consolidated.

I live in the middle of nowhere and haze zero cell service so there is a cel phone tower for my house connected to the modem so i have service.

As for the issues. I will read those links, but io do need see how the first modem is casuing the nighthawk to refuse connections. Especially after over a year with zero issues

Message 5 of 6

@havocentral wrote:

Yes, ISP. They said only their modem can connect to thier network. It is consolidated.

Again, I don't understand that. But there are some "bonded" DSL services that need special modems that Netgear does not make.

@havocentral wrote:

As for the issues. I will read those links, but io do need see how the first modem is casuing the nighthawk to refuse connections.

That is possibly because you are not familiar with how routers work, especially when piled one on the other.

I asked you for details of your current modem.

Does this router/modem have a model number?

If you are prepared to share those details then maybe you will get more informed advice.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7