Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router wouldnt start after firmware upgrade (R7000P)

Chiman
Aspirant

Router wouldnt start after firmware upgrade (R7000P)

I tried to upgrade the firmware of my R7000P, it turns to restart the router but end up in blinding amder power light... Tried the press the reset button and tried to use TFTP2, but still cannot start the router.

I can ping 192.168.1.1 from my computer and get the reply... it does not like a hardware failure but i wonder the reset button does not work as well...

the router can connected the computer and it has 2 usb ports, any other way to flash the firmware back?

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Chiman
Aspirant

In my case, the router keep in blinding amber power light, from the user manuel, it means for firmware installation (pending for install or installing).

And I follow the KB to use TFTP2, however, it shows not response from the server.

As I think there are replies from pinging to 192.168.1.1 , my router is still in kind of "functionable".

I do more searching on the Internet and finally got this thread, https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/SOLVED-Steps-for-debrick-unresponsive-R7000-..., which works for me.

In short,

TFTP2 may not work with Nighthawk, but the concept is correct, so using Windows's Built-in TFTP Client instead of TFTP2.

Enable it from Control Panel, Programs and Features, Turn Windows features on or off.

Set the IP as same as what TFTP2 needed (basically set a static IP with the same range of IP of the router, i.e. 192.168.1.10).

Download the firmware of the router, for my router, I use R7000P-V1.3.0.20_10.1.1.chk

Open command prompt and issue the command, tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put firmware-file-name (i.e. tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put R7000P-V1.3.0.20_10.1.1.chk)

Wait the file upload success and I saw the power light become solid amber, then wait some minutes the router restart normally with white power light. Everything works.

For my case, my router stay in firmware installation mode (blinding amber power light), therefore I did not try to make any restart or reset during the above steps. (And yes, I tried to restart and reset the router so many times before I read the above thread)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> Tried the press the reset button and tried to use TFTP2, but still
> cannot start the router.

"tried to use TFTP2" is not a very detailed description of what you
did, or what happened when you did it.  Actual error message?

Are you following this procedure?:

https://kb.netgear.com/22688/

I know nothing, but some reports here suggest that, on Windows, the
built-in command-line TFTP client works better than the "tftp2.exe"
program shown there.

> I can ping 192.168.1.1 from my computer and get the reply...

What is your computer's IP address?  For the TFTP scheme to work, it
must be "192.168.1.x", where "x" is _not_ "1".  (If you set the
computer's address to "192.168.1.1", then "ping 192.168.1.1" will work,
but you'd be talking to yourself, not to the router.)

> [...] any other way to flash the firmware back?

TFTP is the last-ditch/emergency recovery scheme.

Message 2 of 5
Chiman
Aspirant

Thanks for your kindly help. I have solved my issue and will show the steps in the next reply.

Message 3 of 5
Chiman
Aspirant

In my case, the router keep in blinding amber power light, from the user manuel, it means for firmware installation (pending for install or installing).

And I follow the KB to use TFTP2, however, it shows not response from the server.

As I think there are replies from pinging to 192.168.1.1 , my router is still in kind of "functionable".

I do more searching on the Internet and finally got this thread, https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/SOLVED-Steps-for-debrick-unresponsive-R7000-..., which works for me.

In short,

TFTP2 may not work with Nighthawk, but the concept is correct, so using Windows's Built-in TFTP Client instead of TFTP2.

Enable it from Control Panel, Programs and Features, Turn Windows features on or off.

Set the IP as same as what TFTP2 needed (basically set a static IP with the same range of IP of the router, i.e. 192.168.1.10).

Download the firmware of the router, for my router, I use R7000P-V1.3.0.20_10.1.1.chk

Open command prompt and issue the command, tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put firmware-file-name (i.e. tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put R7000P-V1.3.0.20_10.1.1.chk)

Wait the file upload success and I saw the power light become solid amber, then wait some minutes the router restart normally with white power light. Everything works.

For my case, my router stay in firmware installation mode (blinding amber power light), therefore I did not try to make any restart or reset during the above steps. (And yes, I tried to restart and reset the router so many times before I read the above thread)

Message 4 of 5

I'm puzzled. This is marked as Solved. But the message proclaiming this seems to be saying that it is still broken. Do you still need advice?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7