Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Run my own DHCP server with R8000 router?

rajdude
Tutor

Run my own DHCP server with R8000 router?

ok I am going nuts here!

Why does an external/independent DHCP server not work with R8000 on the network?
I have disabled the router's DHCP

Here is what is behind this "project":
I am trying to work around the infamous DNS resolution problem with this router. Every once in a while the DNS resolution/forwarder service stops working because it thinks something is sending too many DNS requests or something. This is a well known/documented issue. Now the easiest solution would be to let the clients on my network use an outside DNS server, like OpenDNS. However this router does not have the capability to give out anything else other than its own IP address as the DNS server, via its own DHCP server, to all the clients on its network.

The tech support once suggested use a external DHCP server, so I have done this:

1. I have setup a DHCP server on a machine on our network, which stays on 24x7.
    That machine is using a wired connection straight to one of my router's RJ45 ports.
  2. I disabled router's DHCP
  3. But nothing gets an IP address from the new DHCP server. The logs of that DHCP server show no DHCP requests coming in.
  4. Seems like some sort of ARP spoofing is happening or some sort of DHCP request blocking is happening.

Any tips / resolution to this issue please?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
rajdude
Tutor

Re: Run my own DHCP server with R8000 router?

ok I resolved this "problem" myself.

In fact it was NOT a problem with the Netgear router in the first place. I found out that the firewall on the machine where I was running a DHCP server was preventing the DHCP server from sending out IP address leases. I added an exception to that computer's  firewall and now things are working as I want.

So now, on my home network, DHCP and DNS services are no longer handled by this Netgear router. Lets see if that makes it more stable.

BTW, I went with OpenDNS for now, free version.

PS: It seems to me that the DNS issue may be due to overheating, but I am n ot 100% sure. Saying that because for the past 2 days, I have pointed a fan to this router........and it has not failed! Interesting! Maybe its chips need a heatsink os the heatsink needs new thermal paste (Google it).

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
rajdude
Tutor

32 views, no response?

I guess no one runs their own DHCP servers

Message 2 of 3
rajdude
Tutor

ok I resolved this "problem" myself.

In fact it was NOT a problem with the Netgear router in the first place. I found out that the firewall on the machine where I was running a DHCP server was preventing the DHCP server from sending out IP address leases. I added an exception to that computer's  firewall and now things are working as I want.

So now, on my home network, DHCP and DNS services are no longer handled by this Netgear router. Lets see if that makes it more stable.

BTW, I went with OpenDNS for now, free version.

PS: It seems to me that the DNS issue may be due to overheating, but I am n ot 100% sure. Saying that because for the past 2 days, I have pointed a fan to this router........and it has not failed! Interesting! Maybe its chips need a heatsink os the heatsink needs new thermal paste (Google it).

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7