Reply

Re: SBG6580 or Nighthawk AC1900 C7000

buzzme
Aspirant

SBG6580 or Nighthawk AC1900 C7000

Hi I have a Motorola SBG6580. (from 2010) My download speed is 80mbs and upload speed is 10mb from Comcast or Xfinity. It is working fine. So why would I need to get a new one? What would be a good reason to upgrade this? Im looking at NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 C7000 what is this going to do better for me than the current one I have? Pretty much every thing in the house is hard wired except my cell phone.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Thinkster
Apprentice

Re: SBG6580 or Nighthawk AC1900 C7000

I personally do NOT like combo units aka Gateways as what you say you have.  For all setups I do, I use a "plain jane" cable modem (SB61xx) and take the single output to a router like Nighthawk, etc.  It's easier for me to troubleshoot problems when dealing with individual devices that are purposed to do what they do best without sharing resources like in gateways.

However, if you are happy with your current speeds and WiFi, then no need to upgrade just because newer stuff exists!  If however you wanted say 400Mb/s service but your equipemnt maxes out at 160Mb/s, then good reason to upgrade.

 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9

All Replies
antinode
Guru

Re: SBG6580 or Nighthawk AC1900 C7000

> [...] Im looking at NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 C7000 what is this going
> to do better for me than the current one I have? [...]

 

   Faster wireless (if the router is your bottleneck)?  What's the
wireless speed of your (unspecified) "my cell phone"?

 

> [...] So why would I need to get a new one? [...]

 

   I don't know.  Why are you asking the question?  Too much cash on
hand?  Some actual network problem?

 

   A simple Web search should lead to the specs for both models.  (For
the Netgear, start at http://netgear.com/support , put in your model
number, and look for Documentation.)  Compare the specs, and see if any
of the differences look significant to you?  I found:

 

      https://www.arris.com/surfboard/products/wi-fi-cable-modems/sbg6580-2/

 

   "N300/300 Dual Switched Wi-Fi Speeds" was the only thing which leaped
out at me.


> [...] Pretty much every thing in the house is hard wired [...]

 

   Doesn't sound as if you'd care much about that.

Message 2 of 9
buzzme
Aspirant

Re: SBG6580 or Nighthawk AC1900 C7000

It does not look as much has changed since 2010 as it goes for modems. If the speed comming in is at 80mb and download is 10mbs the new  Nighthak ac1900 has not really changed since 2010.

Message 3 of 9
antinode
Guru

Re: SBG6580 or Nighthawk AC1900 C7000

> It does not look as much has changed since 2010 as it goes for modems.
> [...]

 

   Modems and routers are different (even if yours are in the same box).

 

   If your ISP service is limited to 80Mb/s+10Mb/s, then I wouldn't
expect a new modem to do anything for you.  There are now DOCSIS 3.1
modems, for example, but I wouldn't expect getting one to affect your
current service.  Get a faster service level, and that could change.

 

   A new router might make a bigger difference, but, after gigabit
Ethernet, most of the improvements would affect the wireless capability,
about which you don't seem to care much.  What does your old
(modem+)router not do which you want done?

 

> [...] Why are you asking the question? Too much cash on hand? Some
> actual network problem?


   Still a mystery.  If too much cash is your problem, then I could
solve that for you with absolutely no disruption to your current
network.

 

   As usual, it might help if you explained the actual problem which you
are trying to solve, rather than asking how to implement some particular
"solution" (like, say, replacing your SBG6580) which may or may not make
much sense.

Message 4 of 9
Thinkster
Apprentice

Re: SBG6580 or Nighthawk AC1900 C7000

I personally do NOT like combo units aka Gateways as what you say you have.  For all setups I do, I use a "plain jane" cable modem (SB61xx) and take the single output to a router like Nighthawk, etc.  It's easier for me to troubleshoot problems when dealing with individual devices that are purposed to do what they do best without sharing resources like in gateways.

However, if you are happy with your current speeds and WiFi, then no need to upgrade just because newer stuff exists!  If however you wanted say 400Mb/s service but your equipemnt maxes out at 160Mb/s, then good reason to upgrade.

 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9
buzzme
Aspirant

Re: SBG6580 or Nighthawk AC1900 C7000

Yes I agree with you on that. Nothing will change really since everything is hardwired

 

Message 6 of 9
buzzme
Aspirant

Re: SBG6580 or Nighthawk AC1900 C7000

Yes I agree with you on that.

 

A new router might make a bigger difference, but, after gigabit
Ethernet, most of the improvements would affect the wireless capability,

I dont use the wireless much at all.

(about which you don't seem to care much.)

Message 7 of 9
buzzme
Aspirant

Re: SBG6580 or Nighthawk AC1900 C7000

 
Message 8 of 9
buzzme
Aspirant

Re: SBG6580 or Nighthawk AC1900 C7000

I thought that it might be old and outdated and should be replaced

 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2997 views
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E