Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SET UP KNIGHTHAWK WITHOUT USING SMART PHONE

GAT888
Aspirant

SET UP KNIGHTHAWK WITHOUT USING SMART PHONE

I DON'T HAVE A SMARTPHONE SO HOW DO I SET UP MY ROUTER?

Message 1 of 11
antinode
Guru

> I DON'T HAVE A SMARTPHONE SO HOW DO I SET UP MY ROUTER?

FIRST, WHAT IS YOUR "KNIGHTHAWK" ROUTER?

Hint: Look for "Model" on the product label.

With that datum in hand, visit http://netgear.com/support , put in
your model number, and look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at
least).  Read.  Look for a topic like "Use a Web Browser to Access the
Router"?  You do have some kind of computer, right?

Message 2 of 11
microchip8
Master

Message 3 of 11

@GAT888 wrote:

I DON'T HAVE A SMARTPHONE SO HOW DO I SET UP MY ROUTER?

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number from the label on it and check the documentation for your hardware.

Begin with the Quick Start/Installation Guide.

If you are lucky, it will be one of those that tells you how to use a wired connection to set up the router.

If  not, check the manual and look for a section Connect to the Network and Wired Connection

You may have done that already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Apologies for being a bit vague. You haven't said what device you are trying to set up. They don't all have the same instructions in the documentation, but they mostly work in the same way.

Message 4 of 11
GAT888
Aspirant

Thanks for your suggestions.   I'm sorry that I didn't provide enough info for my inquery.   However,  you did give me enough to work with.    Guess I need to finally buy a smart phone.

Message 5 of 11

@GAT888 wrote:

Guess I need to finally buy a smart phone.

I have never use a smartphone to set up a router or access point. A wired connection is always more reliable (no wifi to fall over) and forgiving.

Message 6 of 11
antinode
Guru

> [...] Guess I need to finally buy a smart phone.

Guess again?  Read the User Manual?  This is not complicated.

Message 7 of 11
GAT888
Aspirant

I'll try going the wired route first.    The information in the product box was really pushing the use of a smart phone so I figured it must be critical...   guess not.

Thanks again for the info.

Message 8 of 11

@GAT888 wrote:

The information in the product box was really pushing the use of a smart phone so I figured it must be critical...   guess not.

In their attempts to make life easy, Netgear, and most brands, like to boast that it is easy to set up their stuff with these sexy apps.

That might work for a 12-year old who does not know how to use a keyboard or own a PC, but many grown ups don't need an "idiot's guide" to these things.

You have put your finger on the problem. The information on the product box is there to sell the product, not to make life easier for you to install it.

Message 9 of 11
GAT888
Aspirant

Well, dang.   I used the URL address on my PC and filled out the required info and the router failed to actually work.   All the lights came on but I had no Internet connection to my computer and the problem with the TVs certainly wasn't corrected.    I don't know if I did something wrong when install the new router or if it was defective out of the box.   I reinstalled my old router so I could at least access the Internet.

Boy, I purchased the new Samsung smart TVs last month and they have been working great.  There are a number of streaming shows we like but can not access them.   The cable shows work fine but the ones connecting to the router are a no go.    Plus, I'm not really sure the router is the problem or if the cable modem has a problem.   Greatly frustrating.   

Should I try reinstalling the new router again and give it another try?

Message 10 of 11

@GAT888 wrote:

Well, dang.   I used the URL address on my PC and filled out the required info and the router failed to actually work.   All the lights came on but I had no Internet connection to my computer and the problem with the TVs certainly wasn't corrected.   

What does the Internet LED look like on the router? "On" is not enough. What colour?

You may be connected to the Internet but your PC isn't. Is this wifi or wired?

Your description does not have enough detail to know what is happening.

@GAT888 wrote:

I reinstalled my old router so I could at least access the Internet.

This sends lout another warning signal. You can't just swap routers in and out of your network. You have to reboot everything, from the modem onwards.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

@GAT888 wrote:

Boy, I purchased the new Samsung smart TVs last month and they have been working great. 

That's the first mention of any TV. These can be tricky to set up, especially Samsung.

Connecting a TV to the network is usually best done through the TV's controls and set up routine. The router rarely does much more than spit out the wifi signal. It is then down to the TV to do its thing.

Where possible, it is usually easier to use a wired connection from the router to the TV. It is easier to set up and less likely to fall over. If you can't run Ethernet cables around the place, you could look into Powerline Ethernet. It turns your mains wiring into an Ethernet circuit.

We still do not know what the router is. It has a model number. Look for it on the label.

model number

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7