Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SLOW WI-FI ON R8500 NIGHTHAWK ROUTER - HELP

scottyboy73
Guide

SLOW WI-FI ON R8500 NIGHTHAWK ROUTER - HELP

I have a R8500 wi-fi router with the newest firmware, a docis 3.1 Motorola cable modem (model approved by comacst for their 1GB speeds.) When I connect directly to the R8500 with a cat 7 cable I have speeds of 940+/42 up. My problem is when I connect any devices via the 5ghz (both bands linked together with the same name and password) my speeds drop to around 300/30. This is with any devices in my home (Iphone 8, Iphone X, Macbbok pro 2017 model, Ipad pro 2017, etc.) They all have slow upload and downloads. I have reset the modem, powered off and on 100X with the cable modem, QQS disabled, remote access disabled, internet usage disabled, MTU is 1500 (it's correct I did the ping test). Can someone help please? 

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
scottyboy73
Guide

Yay. Problem solved. Here is how to fix ANY issue with a Netgear router. You return the p.o.s. back to Best Buy, and then you by an Asus RT5300 Router. Out of the box, I had a 938 upload via Cat7 cable, and then 630 wi-fi on my phone... and 787 on my laptop via wi-fi.. and my bufferbloat went from a "c" to an "a" on dslreports.com

Netgears advice when I called? Purchase a 199.00 contract and they will fix my new router - per the over seas indian person who I was talking to.

Now I have to get rid of my Arlo by Netgear that seems to have to be rest every couple of days or it loses internet. 

No more Netgear products for me. Crappy products, and terrible customer service.

I'll repost all over the net.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
scottyboy73
Guide

It should also be noted that I'm within inches of the R8500 modem during these tests - and I tried shutting off the WMM (Next to QQS settings if I got the letters wrong). This will drop my speeds to about 25/20. Thus, I turned them back on to get back to my 300/30 range via wi-fi.

Message 2 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

so you have any older devices connecting to the network like a blueray player or smart tv or some other small electronic it could be bringing the speed down.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 6
scottyboy73
Guide

No. This is only with my Macbook Pro (2018) and Iphone X. No other items are connected. As well, the bufferbloat is terrible. It gives me a D grade every time.

Message 4 of 6
scottyboy73
Guide

I meant all my Apple devices are 2017 models, and cables when connected directly are new Cat7 cables - and they have been checked. Thank you

Message 5 of 6
scottyboy73
Guide

Yay. Problem solved. Here is how to fix ANY issue with a Netgear router. You return the p.o.s. back to Best Buy, and then you by an Asus RT5300 Router. Out of the box, I had a 938 upload via Cat7 cable, and then 630 wi-fi on my phone... and 787 on my laptop via wi-fi.. and my bufferbloat went from a "c" to an "a" on dslreports.com

Netgears advice when I called? Purchase a 199.00 contract and they will fix my new router - per the over seas indian person who I was talking to.

Now I have to get rid of my Arlo by Netgear that seems to have to be rest every couple of days or it loses internet. 

No more Netgear products for me. Crappy products, and terrible customer service.

I'll repost all over the net.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7