Re: SMB2 and SMB3 Support for all Nighthawk, Readyshare

Luminosity
Luminary

SMB2 Support for R7300 Nighthawk, Readyshare

Are there any plans to inclued SMB2 support for the R7300? I couldn't find information about this model, specifically.

Firmware Version
V1.0.0.68_1.0.24

Model: R7300DST|Nighthawk DST—AC1900 DST Router
Message 1 of 24
IrvSp
Master

Re: SMB2 Support for R7300 Nighthawk, Readyshare

I assume you mean so you don't need to run SMB1?

I've got an open case# since 3/31/2018 over SMB1. On at least the R7000 and R8000 SMB3 is running but it doesn't seem to be 'exposed'? I understand that on some later routers (maybe R9000?) you do not need SMB1 to access the USB drive.

My open case has been closed a few times by support as a 'Windows 10' problem. I keep showing then via them connecting to my PC they are wrong, the problem is back in the router... they then re-open it... but it never seems to be solved or a beta offered for me to test. Still being 'looked at' and 'researched'.

Draw your own conclusions.

Message 2 of 24
Luminosity
Luminary

Abolutely. SMB 1 is a hazard. I am running the latest firmware and it is still not supported. SMB 1.0 came out in 1990 and version 2.0 in 2006. We're now up to 3.1.1. It's not like this is an ancient router. This router should have used version 2 when it shipped.

Netgear needs to be more open and honest with communication. Lack of support decreases my trust in Netgear significantly.

Model: R7300DST|Nighthawk DST—AC1900 DST Router
Message 3 of 24
IrvSp
Master

Well, I can tell SMB 3.1 is running on my R8000.

Easy to do. Just MAP your USB drive to a drive letter. Then using POWERSHELL in an Administrator CMD prompt use Get-SmbConnection. Like this after you have mapped the drive and changed to it:

====================

PS Z:\> Get-SmbConnection
ServerName      ShareName             UserName          Credential                                                               Dialect NumOpens
----------                 ---------                        --------                   ----------                                                                      -------    --------
READYSHARE USB_2.0_Storage IRVxxxxx\xxxx MicrosoftAccount\xxxxx@xxxxxx.com 3.1.1     1

=====================

I checked using the operations below within 10 seconds and I am on W10 running SMB3.1.1 as well.

================

If you just want to find the version of SMB running on your own computer, you can use a loopback share combined with the Get-SmbConnection cmdlet. Here’s an example:

PS C:\> dir \\localhost\c$

Directory: \\localhost\c$

Mode                LastWriteTime     Length Name

----                -------------     ------ ----
d----         5/19/2012   1:54 AM            PerfLogs
d-r--          6/1/2012  11:58 PM            Program Files
d-r--          6/1/2012  11:58 PM            Program Files (x86)
d-r--         5/24/2012   3:56 PM            Users
d----          6/5/2012   3:00 PM            Windows

PS C:\> Get-SmbConnection -ServerName localhost

ServerName  ShareName  UserName            Credential          Dialect  NumOpens
----------  ---------  --------            ----------          -------  --------
localhost   c$         DomainName\UserN... DomainName.Testi... 3.02     0

You have about 10 seconds after you issue the “dir” command to run the “Get-SmbConnection” cmdlet. The SMB client will tear down the connections if there is no activity between the client and the server. It might help to know that you can use the alias “gsmbc” instead of the full cmdlet name.

=================

I think the problem IS for some reason SMB3 just isn't working on the routers or isn't 'exposed' to the LAN correctly.

I just checked my case, guess what, it was CLOSED and I never got notified and can't open a new one now. Appealed to Moderators for help...

Message 4 of 24
Luminosity
Luminary

Yep 3.1.1 here. I almost missed the 10-second rule...I almost thought you meant figuratively, rather than literally.

I couldn't even find any custom firmware since it seems this model is an oddball. Well, if you run into any solutions, I'd appreciate it.  Otherwise, it looks like Netgear has left this model for dead.

Thanks again for your time!

Message 5 of 24
IrvSp
Master

@Luminosity wrote:

Yep 3.1.1 here. I almost missed the 10-second rule...I almost thought you meant figuratively, rather than literally.

I couldn't even find any custom firmware since it seems this model is an oddball. Well, if you run into any solutions, I'd appreciate it.  Otherwise, it looks like Netgear has left this model for dead.

Thanks again for your time!

No. it seems NG has kept the need for using SMB1 ALIVE no matter what Microsoft has said. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-by-default-in-windows. Interesting part of that page:

================

Explorer Network Browsing

The Computer Browser service relies on the SMBv1 protocol to populate the Windows Explorer Network node (also known as "Network Neighborhood"). This legacy protocol is long deprecated, doesn't route, and has limited security. Because the service cannot function without SMBv1, it is removed at the same time.

However, if you still have to use the Explorer Network in home and small business workgroup environments to locate Windows-based computers, you can follow these steps on your Windows-based computers that no longer use SMBv1:

1. Start the "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" services, and then set them to Automatic (Delayed Start).
  2. When you open Explorer Network, enable network discovery when you are prompted.

All Windows devices within that subnet that have these settings will now appear in Network for browsing. This uses the WS-DISCOVERY protocol. Contact your other vendors and manufacturers if their devices still don't appear in this browse list after the Windows devices appear. It is possible they have this protocol disabled or that they support only SMBv1.

Note We recommend that you map drives and printers instead of enabling this feature, which still requires searching and browsing for their devices. Mapped resources are easier to locate, require less training, and are safer to use. This is especially true if these resources are provided automatically through Group Policy. An administrator can configure printers for location by methods other than the legacy Computer Browser service by using IP addresses, Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS), Bonjour, mDNS, uPnP, and so on.

================

I suspect it is WS-DISCOVERY protocol that isn't enabled or done correctly as I've made the Services changes and it still doesn't work as I use Explorer often rather than mapping the drive which keeps the drive always connected to the PC.

More 'reading' that has gone over NG's heads and I've sent them these links as well:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2016/09/16/stop-using-smb1/

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-stop-using-the-horribly-insecure-smbv1-protocol/

Note: From the above this little suggestion:

=========

Disabling SMBv1 shouldn't have any effect on modern, fully updated hardware. Some consumer-grade network attached storage devices use this protocol by default, but a firmware update or a change in settings might allow you to change it to something more secure. Unfortunately, some older database programs and even new devices such as those from Sonos require SMBv1.

If you discover that you have an app or a network device that won't work without this feature, use Control Panel to turn the feature back on. Then consider whether that app or device is worth the impact on your network security and whether it's time to look for a replacement.

=========

Last sentence says it all!!!

Message 6 of 24
kuser
Luminary

We all NEED SMB2 and SMB3 support for readyshare !!!!

File BBB complaint?! Better Business Bureau: That is the way to go to increase the pressure against Netgear as the don't react:

https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started

Maybe we should all do that?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 7 of 24
IrvSp
Master

@kuser wrote:

We all NEED SMB2 and SMB3 support for readyshare !!!!

File BBB complaint?! Better Business Bureau: That is the way to go to increase the pressure against Netgear as the don't react:

https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started

Maybe we should all do that?

What makes you think that routers are NOT running those? Proof? You should check if it is or isn't before filing a complaint.

First you should attach the share you have to your Windows PC, like this, see what your shares are, then the USB Share name and use NET USE to connect it to a local drive letter:

============

C:\>net view
Server Name Remark

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\\IRV8700 Irv's 8700
\\READYSHARE readyshare
The command completed successfully.

C:\>net view \\readyshare
Shared resources at \\readyshare

readyshare

Share name Type Used as Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Movies Disk read:all-no password;write:all-no password
USB_2.0_Storage Disk read:xxxxx;write:xxxxx

C:\>net use y: \\readyshare\usb_2.0_storage

===========

Next open a CMD prompt running as an Administrator and start POWERSHELL, then issue the CMDLET to see what SMB is running:

=======================

C:\>powershell
Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\> y:
PS Y:\> get-smbconnection

ServerName  ShareName         UserName              Credential                                                              Dialect  NumOpens
----------            ---------                     --------                        ----------                                                                    -------     --------
readyshare   usb_2.0_storage  IRV8700\irvsp     MicrosoftAccount\zxczxc@zxczr.com  3.1.1       2

=========================

This is on an R8000 (but the R7000 and other routers are the same I suspect). What is running? Why SMB 3.1.1!!!

So why can't it work with Function Discovery Services? Because NG forgot to do something to allow that! Note the screen capture on the right of this post.

Now look at the SPECIFIC column called DISCOVERY METHOD. You'll see 3 computer shars, the Router (ReadyShare), my PC, and another PC. Look down. Both of those PC's are running Windows 10. Note they use WSD (Web Services for Devices or Web Services on Devices), Google if you want to know more. Now look at READYSHARE, using NetBIOS!!! Well, that is the problem in a nutshell. If you ARE not running SMB1 you CAN NOT SEE the share.

I do not think NG has been using WSD on the router, only implemented SMB3 which is why enabling SMB1 works.

So, try it on your router, see what you get, but you must enable SMB1 to see/access the USB drive share.

You should be aiming your ire at Netgear. I've got an OPEN case nearing the 1 year anniversary on this specific issue and they keep telling me it is a Windows 10 problem. I keep going back with proof why it isn't and they go silent for a few weeks and return with the same answer. I had Support on my PC for over and hour, with at least 3 different PC ID's connected to me doing all sorts of commands with SMB 1 both enabled and disabled and they were perplexed and had no answer. Wasted my time probably.

I understand the X10 works fine without enabling SMB1, but I have no way to verify.

Message 8 of 24
schumaku
Guru

This was discussed up and down in this community several times.

Netgear has updated many router models to non-vulnerable SAMBA implementations, some in time, some late. However, the coverage might not go back to many older legacy devices - your investigation might start here Security Advisory for CVE-2017-7494, Samba Remote Code Execution and then the release notes for your router model. Thanks to the more than poor Netgear release notes it's hard to say if the mandatory patches have made it to the R7300 as supplied with the R7300DST kit it's hard to say if the SAMBA SMB 1.0 vulnerabilities have ever been addressed.

The question is not about the protocol version supported - it's about vulnerabilities. Many of the advanced features theoretically available in SMB 2.x and SMB 3 don't have much relevance to a consumer USB disk access on the (W)LAN.

What is completely not covered by Netgear is the requirement of newer computer systems which default to WSDiscovery, and the SMB 1.0/CIFS (including NetBIOS name resolution and device discovery) optional server and client features still need to be enabled. Suspect even the brand new Nighthawk Pro Gaming and WiFi 6 (AX8 AX12) routers are still not coming with WSD support.

In either case, everything is very inconsistent, leaving a bad impression in the market.

You might want to bring this to John McHugh, the GM for the SMB products (not the Nighthawk and the like routers) attention  -> https://community.netgear.com/t5/Connect-with-the-SMB-GM/ReadyShare-SMB1-Error/m-p/1484684#M97

For my part, I'm tired of playing the bad guy role here.

Message 9 of 24
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku , yes, for most of the users of the USB router drives the need is to enable SMB1. Samba does work, but the version might be old. I'm not too worried using SMB1 Client ONLY as the Server is what was attacked before. The drives are local on my LAN only.

However the 'crummy' part of this is not only does one PC need SMB1 enabled, they all do. The router thinks it is the Master Browser. However unless you've got SMB 1 running you can't talk to it it seems and all you get are errors basically.

Yes, WSD needs to be enabled and that is NOT the case as I've proved over and over to Support. They DO NOT GET THAT and only say SMB 3 is running, it is an MS problem that W10 can't use it.

I too am tired of fighting this 'war'...

Message 10 of 24
schumaku
Guru

@IrvSp wrote:

@schumaku , yes, for most of the users of the USB router drives the need is to enable SMB1. Samba does work, but the version might be old. I'm not too worried using SMB1 Client ONLY as the Server is what was attacked before. The drives are local on my LAN only..

To gain full functionality, both client and server are required. Appears Microsoft has correctly moved the NetBIOS discovery and name resolution to the server feature.

The SMB 1.0 vulnerabilities were fixed years ago on both up2date Windows and on the SAMBA Open Source. Essentially the fixes were available the day the vulnerability became public. Leaving the ignorants not keeping WIndows updated and current, the problem remains that many older embedded systems (like older routers) never got a SAMBA update.

@IrvSp wrote:

However the 'crummy' part of this is not only does one PC need SMB1 enabled, they all do. The router thinks it is the Master Browser. However unless you've got SMB 1 running you can't talk to it it seems and all you get are errors basically..

NetBIOS discovery and name resolution (with the Master Browser being a core functionality) is completely independent of SMB 1.0 transport protocol.  That's why we need both optional Windows 10 feature components installed, even if we are lucky and our routers offer SMB 2.1 and SMB 3 and CIFS/SMB 1.0 is effectively never used. The protocol negotiation (leave the Linux/SAMBA kids alone) in place on Windows and macOS does negotiate for the highest protocol available by design. 

I was amazed reading that @johngm was involved in pushing the vulnerability fixes forward on select newer router models. There should be a business process in place, a security responsible should spend his life on reading security announcements and hacker sites, and trigger the updates where required. Leaving owners of older routers with ReadyShare SMB capability alone isn't nice.

Message 11 of 24
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku wrote:

@IrvSp wrote:

@schumaku , yes, for most of the users of the USB router drives the need is to enable SMB1. Samba does work, but the version might be old. I'm not too worried using SMB1 Client ONLY as the Server is what was attacked before. The drives are local on my LAN only..

To gain full functionality, both client and server are required. Appears Microsoft has correctly moved the NetBIOS discovery and name resolution to the server feature.

The SMB 1.0 vulnerabilities were fixed years ago on both up2date Windows and on the SAMBA Open Source. Essentially the fixes were available the day the vulnerability became public. Leaving the ignorants not keeping WIndows updated and current, the problem remains that many older embedded systems (like older routers) never got a SAMBA update.

In W10 I didn't need the Server to make Network Sharing to work? Many sites state only the client is needed, like this one.

When I didn't have SMB 1 running and on my PC I couldn't see the shares, my iPad app I use as a DLNA client had both SAMBA and Network Share capability, SAMBA was working but Network Share wasn't? Once I turned on SMB1 on the PC the iPad had no problems, even with the PC off? That part I didn't understand, but I think without SMB1 running on the PC something was either corrupted or hung in the router?

@schumaku wrote:

NetBIOS discovery and name resolution (with the Master Browser being a core functionality) is completely independent of SMB 1.0 transport protocol.  That's why we need both optional Windows 10 feature components installed, even if we are lucky and our routers offer SMB 2.1 and SMB 3 and CIFS/SMB 1.0 is effectively never used. The protocol negotiation (leave the Linux/SAMBA kids alone) in place on Windows and macOS does negotiate for the highest protocol available by design. 

I was amazed reading that @johngm was involved in pushing the vulnerability fixes forward on select newer router models. There should be a business process in place, a security responsible should spend his life on reading security announcements and hacker sites, and trigger the updates where required. Leaving owners of older routers with ReadyShare SMB capability alone isn't nice.

I still don't know why other than WSD it seems is not used why if SMB 3.1 is clearly running on the router if what you say is true, I need the SMB1 client running on the PC?

I suspect the 'push' was to enable and include SMB 3 in all routers. That was not a complete fix though.

I'm still working on a 10 month old case with support on this. Each time I go back and show them it is NOT a W10 problem I'll eventually get an answer it is a W10 problem and can they close the case!

As you can see in the Screen Capture, the router (READYSHARE) is clearly using NetBIOS as the discovery method, not WSD. This is with SMB1 enabled. If I disable SMB1, I can't even see the Network on W10. If I can't see it without SMB 1 client running, then one can assume WSD is not running? When my other W10 PC is on, it too is running SMB 1, but the Discovery Method shown is WSD. From that I can draw the conclusion that even if SMB1 for NetBIOS is available, the highest level, such as WSD will be used if it is availalbe, therefore the router is not offering WSD? If I'm wrong on this, then why would a PC show WSD and the Router NetBIOS?

Maybe @johngm can look at my case #40737880 which is a continuation of case #29936026 which was closed without my permission and explain the situation or at least look into it?

Is this a Windows 10 problem that many many users have or a firmware problem that Netgear Support either can't seem to grasp or has no intention of fixing?

Message 12 of 24
schumaku
Guru

The SMB 1.0/CIFS feature(s) are required to have the NetBIOS host announcement and the name resolution - without, your Windows system won't show any NetBIOS-only announced devices like the router ReadyShare (host announcement) nor will \\readyshare work (name resolution).

Any IP address like \\192.168.1.1 will continue to work.

Message 13 of 24
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku wrote:

The SMB 1.0/CIFS feature(s) are required to have the NetBIOS host announcement and the name resolution - without, your Windows system won't show any NetBIOS-only announced devices like the router ReadyShare (host announcement) nor will \\readyshare work (name resolution).

Any IP address like \\192.168.1.1 will continue to work.

Yes, I know that and the IP Addresses did work. Problem with that is IP Addresses will/can change under DHCP unless I were to reserve them AND remember which IP Address applied to what device (yeah, I could keep a list handy too). However the services FUNCTION DISCOVERY was MS's way to resolve this problem. That does NOT work either? This is what MS suggested as a 'replacement'.                                                                           

Message 14 of 24
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku ,

Well, I got another 'rejection' today from Support:

===============

Hi ,

Your case has been updated.

Case #: 40737880
Case Summary: R8000 - Router does not support SMB2. Related to case 00282406_L2 Paul
Product: R8000

Update from NETGEAR
Hi Irv,

Basing from the statement that WS-DISCOVERY protocol is not running on our router and you are getting an error 53 when disabling SMB1 and followed the steps provided by microsoft to set "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" to Automatic (Delayed Start).

I tried it on our LAB I can clearly see other windows computers on the same network when opening file explorer even SMB1 is disabled.

Regards,

P
Expert ID: 46
NETGEAR L2 Support Expert

============

So I sent them the same screenshot I posted here and asked for DETAILS on LAB system used and what EXACTLY were the steps they took to see this.

How can so many people report the same problem and need to enable SMB 1 to see shares and they can? Beyond me...

Message 15 of 24
schumaku
Guru

If the product management does obviously not understand the basic requirements for a router serving ReadyShare (with SAMBA access), how should the poor L1 and L2 support people? A waste of time: There is no WS-Discovery on these routers. They have no clue what they are talking of.

Message 16 of 24
schumaku
Guru

@IrvSp wrote:

"Basing from the statement that WS-DISCOVERY protocol is not running on our router and you are getting an error 53 when disabling SMB1 and followed the steps provided by microsoft to set "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" to Automatic (Delayed Start)."

What relation does this have to the Netgear routers which are NOT running or offering any WD-Discovery service? We don't need a lecture on a problems which is not the problem.

@IrvSp wrote:

"I tried it on our LAB I can clearly see other windows computers on the same network when opening file explorer even SMB1 is disabled."

The point is not SMB 1.0 disabled - the point is no SMB 1.0/CIFS Client and SMB 1.0/CIFS Server feature installed on current Windows 10. One proof more they do NOT understand the very basics of legacy discovery and name resolution.

@IrvSp wrote:

How can so many people report the same problem and need to enable SMB 1 to see shares and they can? Beyond me...

Well, they don't understand neither the basic design nor the requirements of Windows 10.

And what hurts me most? These people are getting paid for the B.S.!!!!!

@IrvSp  - just for my know-how: Does the R8000 have  SMB 2.x and SMB 3.x support built in or not? Because of the subject chosen for the support issue is misleading. Further on, I would like to know on what they undertand as SMB 1.0 disabled ... what can be done, and agree, SMB 1.0 protocol is not required to access a ReadyShare .. at least by IP. Lack of WSDiscovery implementation, it can NEVER become visibe nor can the name be resolved - unless they continue using the NetBIOS name resolution - which is again for the records a complete independant thing from SMB 1.0. However both are part of the SMB 1.0/CIFS feature.

Message 17 of 24
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku wrote:

If the product management does obviously not understand the basic requirements for a router serving ReadyShare (with SAMBA access), how should the poor L1 and L2 support people? A waste of time: There is no WS-Discovery on these routers. They have no clue what they are talking of.

It seems to me that 'Support' is working independant of Product Management requirements. They look at the reports and try to duplicate. Can't, they will do one of two things, RMA the unit (and I'd bet a majority of time it doesn't fix the problem) or get on your PC and try to root around and see what is happening. Can't figure it out, it is 'your' problem, something wrong on your system or the OS is corrupt.

Message 18 of 24
schumaku
Guru

@IrvSp wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

It seems to me that 'Support' is working independant of Product Management requirements. They look at the reports and try to duplicate. 

So ask them if they can see the ReadyShare name configured on the router with the Windows SMB 1.0/CIFS features uninstalled. 

The only correct answer - lack of WSDiscovery on the Nighthawk - must be a "No". As you have stated above ... the ReadyShare does disappear with the feature removed - perfectly correct. I won't loose my time figuring out why the DLNA App behaved as it does It's just adding confusion, and its not relevant. Windows 10 does relay on WS Discovery by default, unless the SMB 2.0/CIFS feature set is in place, it won't do any NetBIOS whatever. 

And no, by far not all routers have got SMB 2.x and SMB 3 support, only a few models did. But here again, lack of WSD on the router, this does not change anything. 

Slowly I'm loosing trust in what the universities on some continents are teaching in information technology courses - the amount of lack of basic known how on industry standard systems and protocols does proof, well, you know.

I'm just about to abandon Netgear Nigthhawk, and all Netgear Insight (well, a magic 5.5 version number does not make the thing a product). Have migrated more customer sites to Ubiquity already.

Message 19 of 24
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku wrote:

@IrvSp  - just for my know-how: Does the R8000 have  SMB 2.x and SMB 3.x support built in or not? Because of the subject chosen for the support issue is misleading. Further on, I would like to know on what they undertand as SMB 1.0 disabled ... what can be done, and agree, SMB 1.0 protocol is not required to access a ReadyShare .. at least by IP. Lack of WSDiscovery implementation, it can NEVER become visibe nor can the name be resolved - unless they continue using the NetBIOS name resolution - which is again for the records a complete independant thing from SMB 1.0. However both are part of the SMB 1.0/CIFS feature.

Yes, W10 has SMB2 enabled. Servers use SMB3 I recall:

==============

PS C:\>
>>
>> Get-SmbServerConfiguration | Select EnableSMB2Protocol

EnableSMB2Protocol
------------------
True

PS C:\> sc.exe qc lanmanworkstation
[SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: lanmanworkstation
TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
START_TYPE : 2 AUTO_START
ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
BINARY_PATH_NAME : C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k NetworkService -p
LOAD_ORDER_GROUP : NetworkProvider
TAG : 0
DISPLAY_NAME : Workstation
DEPENDENCIES : Bowser
: MRxSmb20
: NSI
SERVICE_START_NAME : NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService
PS C:\>

==================

As for the Title, it was initially set wrong because it was suspected SMB3 was NOT running on the server. Never changed and always worked as SMB 1 needed to see and use shares with NATIVE WINDOWS 10 commands.

Yes, the R8000 (and R7000) is running SMB 3:

============

C:\>net view
Server Name Remark

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
\\IRV8700 Irv's 8700
\\LARAINE-XPS8500 Laraine's XPS8500
\\READYSHARE readyshare

C:\>net use o: \\readyshare\usb_2.0_storage

C:\>o:

=====

First I make a local connection to the share above, then checked to see what SMB it was running:

===========

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-SmbConnection

ServerName  ShareName            UserName               Credential                                                      Dialect     NumOpens
----------            ---------                        --------                         ----------                                                             -------        --------
readyshare    usb_2.0_storage    IRV8700\irxxxx   MicrosoftAccount\xxxx@cxxx.om   3.1.1          1

================

So the router IS running SMB 3.1.1.

Another problem is that the router thinks it is the MASTER BROWSER as well.

==========

O:\>nbtstat -A 192.168.1.1

Wi-Fi 3:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.50] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name Type Status
---------------------------------------------
READYSHARE <00> UNIQUE Registered
READYSHARE <03> UNIQUE Registered
READYSHARE <20> UNIQUE Registered
☺☻__MSBROWSE__☻<01> GROUP Registered
HOME <00> GROUP Registered
HOME <1D> UNIQUE Registered
HOME <1E> GROUP Registered

MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

======================

Message 20 of 24
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku wrote:

@IrvSp wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

It seems to me that 'Support' is working independant of Product Management requirements. They look at the reports and try to duplicate. 

So ask them if they can see the ReadyShare name configured on the router with the Windows SMB 1.0/CIFS features uninstalled. 

I did, see the answer I just posted I got today:

"I tried it on our LAB I can clearly see other windows computers on the same network when opening file explorer even SMB1 is disabled."

So what does that mean? No definition of what the PC was used or how the disabled it? Nor the instructions used. I know if I open Windows File Manager and enter the IP Address in the URL I can see the share names... Big deal, that isn't the same and seeing READYSHARE by name, is it?

Message 21 of 24
schumaku
Guru

@IrvSp wrote:

Another problem is that the router thinks it is the MASTER BROWSER as well.

==========

O:\>nbtstat -A 192.168.1.1

Wi-Fi 3:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.50] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name Type Status
---------------------------------------------
READYSHARE <00> UNIQUE Registered
READYSHARE <03> UNIQUE Registered
READYSHARE <20> UNIQUE Registered
☺☻__MSBROWSE__☻<01> GROUP Registered
HOME <00> GROUP Registered
HOME <1D> UNIQUE Registered
HOME <1E> GROUP Registered

MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

======================

Looks perfectly fine to me - the smilies are correct!

Message 22 of 24
schumaku
Guru

No idea why they care about "other Windows computers" if the problem is the router - where I'm reading between the lines that only other Widows computers remain visible, but not the ReadyShare.

The explanation is so bad and vague, the information value is limited.
Message 23 of 24
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku wrote:
No idea why they care about "other Windows computers" if the problem is the router - where I'm reading between the lines that only other Widows computers remain visible, but not the ReadyShare.

The explanation is so bad and vague, the information value is limited.

Well. me too, all I get back is it works for them, whatever 'works' is? Hence it is a W10 problem, with no supporting information.

I don't think there is ANY sort of checking responses back at all? No reviews of anything? The recent rash of f/w releases where prior functions either are changed or don't seem to work at all should be a CLEAR indicator of that. Also as some things like Access Control and Attached Device list editing on many routers would indicate 'someone' messed with a common subroutine and that problem has spread to many routers.

As for what I consider to be the root of the problem is this from MS about SMB 1 being removed:

================

The Computer Browser service relies on the SMBv1 protocol to populate the Windows Explorer Network node (also known as "Network Neighborhood"). This legacy protocol is long deprecated, doesn't route, and has limited security. Because the service cannot function without SMBv1, it is removed at the same time.

However, if you still have to use the Explorer Network in home and small business workgroup environments to locate Windows-based computers, you can follow these steps on your Windows-based computers that no longer use SMBv1:

Start the "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" services, and then set them to Automatic (Delayed Start).

When you open Explorer Network, enable network discovery when you are prompted.

All Windows devices within that subnet that have these settings will now appear in Network for browsing. This uses the WS-DISCOVERY protocol. Contact your other vendors and manufacturers if their devices still don't appear in this browse list after the Windows devices appear. It is possible they have this protocol disabled or that they support only SMBv1.

========

Well I never got the Enable Network Discovery as my Network settings for PRIVATE network (see capture on right) have this. All my PC's (3) are set the same way. So why can't I see them? MS knows why, but Support has ignored this information.

I really think someone in Management has to do an Audit/Review of the work being done by Support. I hope the slowdown of f/w releases and the recent R7800 release, V1.0.2.62:

Bug Fixes:

• Improve the stability of the wireless 5G interface
  • Fixes the issue where the speed test in the QoS page always displays a zero number.

and also added Updates dnsmasq to V2.78 as a new feature is a sign they are focusing on common problems and working with one router first to make sure they got it right before moving those changes to other routers. Unfortunately, reports here on that f/w seem to indicate other NEW problems it created...

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E