Re: [SOLVED] Steps for debrick unresponsive R7000 (softbricked)

almofari
Guide

[SOLVED] Steps for debrick unresponsive R7000 (softbricked)

Hi everyone,

I want to share my experience with a R7000 router. I recently contact chat support to get some help. The problem was that I was updating the firmware but I click on something that take me out from the update configuration area. After this, the router stop working and the power led was blinking white (1 sec interval). After some tries using an ftpf software"to push the firmware, technical support told me that the router was "no longer responding" and narrowed down my "concern to a faulty Hardware".

I did not give up and keep serching and trying. Finally I realized that using the tftp software that I downloaded from internet was not the correct one because always failed. This are the step I followed and resolved my problem:

1. Navigate to Control Panel-->Programs and Features, click on Turn Windows features on or off. The I select TFTP Client from the check list. Click ok

2. Navigate to Control Panel-->Network and Internet-->Network and Sharing Center, click on the left pane the Change adapter settings. Then set an static IP Address as follow:

IP address: 192.168.1.2

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

Click OK button

3. Download the firmware from netgear.com and copy it to your computer Desktop (use firmware intended for R7000) .

4. Connect a computer to ethernet port and turn on the router.

5. Open a command prompt window. For this just click Start menu-->Run and write "cmd" (without quotes) and hit enter. I the command prompt write "cd desktop" (without quotes). Finally, write "tftp -192.168.1.1 put firmware-file-name" (without quotes) and hit enter. Wait several minutes (maybe 1 or 2) and router should reboot itself.

I'm not a tech but have some skills following instructions and coupling methods found on internet, so I hope that this steps help people with issues similar to mine.

Message 1 of 65
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Thanks for posting this.
Message 2 of 65
Lexist2112
Luminary

Forum mods we need to sticky this. For the most part I knew about changing adapter setttings, but the command prompt directions...code I did not.

I deem that important for all to see in the future and beyondSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 65
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

we still have current sticker from 802.11G side which is same direction

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=30453
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 65
almofari
Guide

I saw other forum posts that have almost same directions. However, some times people don't follow those steps because they think that only applies to models in which the where implemented. Also, in my case, and maybe in the case of all R7000 routers, the tftp2.exe didn't worked for uploading the firmware. That's why I emphasizes to use TPTP Client from Windows features, because was the way the process completed successfully. Maybe, tptp2.exe failed because it tries to use the admin access with a password to the router and the router was not requesting that information.

I don't know if should be necessary to stick this post, but it should be here also for people looking information regarding R7000 routers.

P.S. sometimes other methods have a lot of steps that maybe are not necessary to accomplish the goal.
Message 5 of 65
RogerSC
Virtuoso

I assume that the power light blinking means the router is in recovery mode. If the router isn't already in recovery mode to start with, how does one get the R7000 into recovery mode; that is, get it into a state where it is listening for tftp upload?

Thanks.
Message 6 of 65
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Never mind, had a senior moment there. Don't need the information any more.

On the other hand, with a lot of routers if you power on the router with the reset button pressed in it will go into recovery mode, indicated by the power light blinking. I didn't see that behavior with this router, which surprised me, since I thought that was kind of standard. But I guess not, or my particular router isn't totally there *smile*.
Message 7 of 65
poketix
Guide

almofari wrote:
5. Open a command prompt window. For this just click Start menu-->Run and write "cmd" (without quotes) and hit enter. I the command prompt write "cd desktop" (without quotes). Finally, write "tftp -192.168.1.1 put firmware-file-name" (without quotes) and hit enter. Wait several minutes (maybe 1 or 2) and router should reboot itself.

It seems to be slight typo in the article. The proper command to recover the firmware is as follows:

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put firmware-file-name

Good luck.
Message 8 of 65
nnhhuu
Aspirant

Hi guys,
i'm having problems with my R7000 after a non successful firmware upgrade, i followed the instructions here but i'm not lucky enough to transfer the firmware in the short window the router answer the ping (about 3 seconds), i have tried many times without luck.
Is there any additional advice to do that transfer? is there possible to transfer using an USB drive or something?
thank you
Message 9 of 65
almofari
Guide

Did you tried this steps using ethernet cable or wifi? Also, you saw the reply posted by poketix talking about a correction in step 5?
Message 10 of 65
r700User
Aspirant

I have taken the steps to derrick my R7000 above, uploading the stock firmware from tftp and the cmd prompt says success.

However I still can't get into the GUI once reverting back for an assigned IP address from the router - it's finding a IP for the computer and subnet but no router/default gateway appears and I can't access the GUI to restore. Power light is now solid orange the firmware was v1.0.3._24_1.1.20.chk from the Netgear downloads

I've also tried a stock update with dd-wrt and that also is successful - with same final issue.

Any help appreciated.
Message 11 of 65
r700User
Aspirant

I have taken the steps to debrick my R7000 above, ping is fine and tried uploaded various stock firmware from tftp and the cmd prompt says success.

However I still can't get into the GUI once reverting back for an assigned IP address from the router - it's finding a IP for the computer and subnet but no router/default gateway appears and I can't access the GUI to restore. Power light is now solid orange the firmware was v1.0.3._24_1.1.20.chk from the Netgear downloads

I've also tried a stock update with dd-wrt and that also is successful - with same final issue.

Any help appreciated.
Message 12 of 65
ghoffman
Aspirant

i suspect that the boardid has been changed so the cfe thinks the router is a differnt type. by screwing around with tomato and dd-wrt on my r6300v2 (similar router) i had the same problem.

i suspect that the boardid was rewritten as 'HDR0' instead of U12H270T00_NETGEAR (correct for an r7000)

this means the cfe loader will only take a firmware image without the identifyiing information in a netgear .chk file.

if you don;t have a serial connection to make the diagnosis, then i would just try the following steps:

1. get an older factory image for r7000.
2. use hexedit to remove the first 58 bytes, so the first four bytes of the file are 'HDR0'. make sure you a re using a binary/hexeditor, not a text editor. save it as factory.trx, a new firmware file without the identifying header.
3. give your computer a static ip address (like, 192.168.1.9, not 192.168.1.1 which is the router default). connect your ethernet port to a lan port on the router
4. hard reset the router holding the reset button for 10 sec, and alow the router to reboot.
5.confirm the cfe is waiting for firmware by 'ping 192.168.1.1' a 'ttl=100' response is what you are looking for
6. use 'tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put factory.trx' to upload you newly created image
7. wait 2-3 minute for a couple reboots.
8. if the lights look ok - great. if not, try pinging. ttl=64 menas the firmware is up. give it a few more minutes. you make need another reset.
9. do the telnetenable MACADDR Gearguy Geardog trick to enable telnet
10. telnet into the router
11. check the boardid by issueing the command 'burnboardid'
12. the proper id for an r7000 is U12H270T00_NETGEAR. if not, issue the command 'burnboardid U12H270T00_NETGEAR'.
13 reboot
Message 13 of 65
RogerSC
Virtuoso

r700User,

Suggest that you reset your router to factory defaults (hold the reset button on the back of the router for about 10 seconds or so and then release) after flashing, or when you lose contact with it. If the router is really hosed, you might have to reset it more than once to get it to go back to defaults. That sets the router IP address back to 192.168.1.1, and the default router admin login ("admin"/"password").

Same for dd-wrt, but after reset it will leave you at a window where you should set the router admin name and password.

You'll have to re-enter your settings manually once you're in, but then it really is so nice to be able to talk to your router again that it doesn't seem to be a high price to pay *smile*.
Message 14 of 65
mike6623
Aspirant

Best directions yet, at least for me. Worked first try. Power went out and the router came back with the blinking power light. I had previously unplugged, plugged back in, held the reset button for 30 seconds, etc. But I followed these to a "T" and worked first time. Great post!

user DanielV
NETGEAR Newbie

"Before you continue below, make sure you've first tried a hard reset to revive your router:
Disconnect the router from all cables except the power cable.
Push reset button for 30 secs.
Without releasing reset button, disconnect power cord.
Hold the reset button for another 30 secs.
Replug the power cord.
Still hold the reset button for another 30 secs.
Release the reset button and give the router about 10 secs to resettle.
Disconnect power cord for another 10 secs and then reconnect.
All should be in default settings now."
Message 15 of 65
rpoffen
Virtuoso

I used the SW interface to reset my R7000 back to factory defaults in preparation for upgrading to the latest firmware, and somehow it bricked my router.
I have tried all the steps here to try and get it to recover and nothing works. I have done the 30-30-30 reset, no change.
I connected a cable to my computer, set its port to a static IP, 192.168.1.1, and set a continuous ping with no successful replies.
The tftp does not work either, it never makes a connection, which makes sense if it never pings, it is never listening.
The symptoms are a continuous cycle led's cycling through a pattern for about 10 seconds, then the power led goes off and back on and the cycle repeats.
Is the router toast?
Message 16 of 65
netwrks
Master

rpoffen wrote:
I used the SW interface to reset my R7000 back to factory defaults in preparation for upgrading to the latest firmware, and somehow it bricked my router.
I have tried all the steps here to try and get it to recover and nothing works. I have done the 30-30-30 reset, no change.
I connected a cable to my computer, set its port to a static IP, 192.168.1.1, and set a continuous ping with no successful replies.
The tftp does not work either, it never makes a connection, which makes sense if it never pings, it is never listening.
The symptoms are a continuous cycle led's cycling through a pattern for about 10 seconds, then the power led goes off and back on and the cycle repeats.
Is the router toast?

The 30-30-30 reset is not necessary on ARM routers, it can actually screw things up. All that is required is a 10 second reset until the power light flashes. The R7000's default IP Address is: 192.168.1.1. Give your device another IP Address, other than 192.168.1.1.
Message 17 of 65
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Sounds like a bricked router to me. As the other poster said, you'll need to give your computer a static IP address, like 192.168.1.2, since your router will be at 192.168.1.1 by default. Then you need to open your router and use a serial console adapter that connects to the uart header pins on the router board and the connects to a USB port on your computer. Debricking is a process of using tftp to send firmware to your router, that it will store and execute.

Here's a couple of documents that'll help with debricking your router:

http://myopenrouter.com/article/how-debrick-or-recover-netgear-r7000-r6300v2-or-r6250-wi-fi-routers

http://myopenrouter.com/article/how-debrick-your-wnr3500lv2-using-windows-and-usb-ttl-cable

Here's the serial console adapter that worked for me a couple of times now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009T2ZR6W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

If you have any questions, just ask.
Message 18 of 65
rpoffen
Virtuoso

netwrks:
I only tried the 30-30-30 reset after the SW reset appeared to have bricked the router. The 10 second one at this point would not work because it never gets to a stable point after 10 seconds, it keeps resetting itself every few seconds.

RogerSC:
The unbricking guide supplied looks great.
I ordered the USB-TTL cable with 3.5mm plug adapter from digikey, along with a 3.5mm jack that I can mount in the router itself for easy recovery if this ever happens again.
Once I get the parts I will try it and post back here on my results.

Thanks to all that replied!
Message 19 of 65
RogerSC
Virtuoso

rpoffen wrote:

The unbricking guide supplied looks great.
I ordered the USB-TTL cable with 3.5mm plug adapter from digikey, along with a 3.5mm jack that I can mount in the router itself for easy recovery if this ever happens again.
Once I get the parts I will try it and post back here on my results.

Yes, if you open the picture of the board in a new tab, it is much bigger. And then you can click on the picture (in Chrome, anyways), and it gets even bigger *smile*. Very helpful in attaching the serial console adapter.
Message 20 of 65
TurtleWax
Initiate

R6700 Nighthawk - Mine was not responding/soft bricked after foolishly trying to update via wifi. R6700 router would not assign IP to connected computer, only amber power and white port light for laptop connected. I tried to get into recovery mode several times, tried TFTP2.exe (no help for this problem). 

Then I found this thread and tried Win 7  TFTP and upload only sent 212bytes.

Noticed there is part missing to the command line, ""tftp -192.168.1.1 put firmware-file-name" should read: "tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put firmware-file-name".

The "-i" switches it to send BINARY and then it sent the full file 30+MB. Router rebooted and I reconnected. Oddly enough, it seemed to remember all my old configuration after several attempts with RESET button to factory reset it. I updated it to latest version using the normal update method and it worked fine with LAN connection.

Hope this helps others...

TurtleWax

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 21 of 65
Skboards
Aspirant

Thanks for the help in resolving my bricked R7000P!
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 22 of 65
netbearing-
Initiate

clicked upgarde fw in the gui and spent the next 1 hour fixing. could ping but no wifi or gui ax after attempted upgrade from april rls. i'm never buying or recommending netgear again.

great info on this guys, really help me reslove this quickly! few things to also note.

be patient

holding reset 30 seconds 2-3 times and power cycling put it into blinking power mode

holding reset didnt reset the settings for me it at all once tftp fw took and rebooted back to normal. so that was great!

c:\a\tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put R7000-V1.0.9.34_10.2.36.chk
Transfer successful: 31780922 bytes in 120 second(s), 264841 bytes/s

Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 65
ILikeTrains
Aspirant

Hey,

I did everything right but when I hit enter it says 'Connect request failed'.

What can I do now?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 24 of 65
Petla1
Aspirant

Thanx for helping me out getting my router operational again after "firmware" update the went south!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 25 of 65
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements