Re: SSH on stock firmware

BiPoMan
Tutor

SSH on stock firmware

Is there a way to enable SSH on the R9000 with the stock NETGEAR firmware?

Thanks,

BiPoMan

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi BiPoMan,

No option to enable SSH using the stock firmware.

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 2 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi BiPoMan,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 3 of 7
BiPoMan
Tutor

Hi JamesGL,

I was able to answer my own question and have enabled SSH with dropbear on the stock firmware. Plus I was able to add Entware-NG on an external USB 3.0 drive as well.

Now this router is completely BADASS.  I am now able to mount my NAS media thru the router to the PLEX Media Server.

I am currently writing up details for myopenrouter.com forums and would be happy to share the info here if you want.

Thanks for your reply,

BiPoMan

Message 4 of 7
TheEther
Guru

Yes, please do.  It's not too hard to Google for dropbear netgear, but posting details here can raise visibility.

Message 5 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi BiPoMan,

Please post the details here so that other users will be able to use it if they have the same concern.

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 6 of 7
BiPoMan
Tutor

Re: SSH on stock firmware and other features

All,

I just recently came back from paternity leave at work and I have been busy catching up.  With that said, I am just about complete with my posting of getting DropBear SSH working on the stock X10 firmware.  I hope to have it here by Friday night 2400 PST.  Also, those interested, I have been able to connect the Plex Media Server to NAS drives or other network shares and it works fantastic (creating a write up on that as well).  This way you are not limited to just the attached USB 3.0 drives.  Thanks to NETGEAR for such an awesome product this time around and the GPL open source code that made this an immense help.  I also have Entware-NG running off one the USB 3.0 drives for additional tools and the ability to run chrooted Debian Arm.  I am also working on expanding the Amazon Cloud Backup feature to work for more than just the attached USB 3.0 drives, this later on my list.  Should be complete for the new year.

Thanks for everyone's paitence.  I want to make this easy for others to consume and use, plus expand on if they like.

I do similar work in my real job at a much larger scale, hence time commitment as of late has been spotty, but I will get better at balancing them for the new year and help where I can.

Thanks,

BiPoMan

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements