SSID Broadcast

Loudog2
Apprentice

SSID Broadcast

Why would the router drop all wireless clients when I turn the SSID broadcast off?

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: SSID Broadcast

@Loudog2 wrote:

Why would the router drop all wireless clients when I turn the SSID broadcast off?

Many wireless settings changes causes the radios to shutdown/restart.  A shutdown of course will drop all clients.

My recollection is that turning off ssid broadcast is one of those settings - though it's not something I normally do.

Message 2 of 4
William10a
Master

No ssid will cause no detection of your wifi  on your device but radios are still on you tell the devices the network name and passphrase manually on each device  as the wifi detection software looks for a ssid.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@William10a wrote:

No ssid will cause no detection of your wifi  on your device but radios are still on you tell the devices the network name and passphrase manually on each device  as the wifi detection software looks for a ssid.

Yes.  After you hide the ssid, you will generally need to connect manually.

FFIW, the ssid isn't all that hidden (just like a hidden file isn't all that hidden).  There's no security benefit in hiding the SSID - there are lots of tools out there that will tell you what the SSID is. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements